Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cars - A Basic Calculation
Old 01-11-2005, 12:49 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
They never have what I want. If they had been selling new Hondas, Toyotas, or Nissans, I would have bought directly from them. Actually, they agree with me, even though they sell competing makes.
Ahh, I gotcha. Guess that makes sense. I doubt I'll drive anything other than GM.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just recently found out I get special discounts on new cars from several manufacturers--everybody but Honda and Toyota at first glance. (Added: BMW and VW seem absent, too, unless they're part of another conglomerate.) My employer has a rather large and diverse fleet of vehicles and my discounts are typically part of "partner", "vendor" or "supplier" programs depending on the car company.

Anybody have any experience with these types of discounts? Would they result in better prices than some of the ruthless buying tactics mentioned here so far, or would it be about the same pricing floor?

Old 01-21-2005, 06:17 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I check with one of my brothers to get very close to the dealer's actual cost (many of the incentives are hidden), and I add on around $300-$400 depending on the car. I bought my last three cars that way.
I'm car shopping now and have a couple of questions: Is this technique only appropriate to new cars and when do you test drive the vehicle?

I hate buying cars.
Judy
Old 01-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I may have done a dumb thing. Always wanted a BMW Z3, since first seeing James Bond driving one.
So, I bought a '97 Z3, 4 cyl, manual, 58k, last November.
Haven't driven it much because the weather here in Pittsburgh is lousy in the winter. Kept my other car, a 2000 Camry. But, it seems to be in mint condition. It sure is beautiful.
If it turns out to be costing me too much, you know, like repairs, insurance, etc. , I'll sell it.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Bennevis, I grew up in Murrysville. Don't miss Pittsburgh driving one little bit... if the weather doesn't get your Z3 then the potholes will.

Can you still fish THROUGH the Sixth Street bridge? Does KDKA still run the "Rhinestone Pothole" contest?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Nords
Old 01-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords

Nords,
My Z3 will not see bad weather.
Yes, I suppose you could fish thru the 6th Street Bridge, which, by the way, was renamed the Clemente Bridge.
I'm not familiar with the Rhinestone Pothole contest, although we still have plenty of potholes around here.
I live near the airport, so most of my driving is on the Parkway (our version of an interstate).
Where are you now ?
OH, I see you're in Hawaii ! I'm jealous.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I may have done a dumb thing. *Always wanted a BMW Z3, since first seeing James Bond driving one.
So, I bought a '97 Z3, 4 cyl, manual, 58k, last November.
Haven't driven it much because the weather here in Pittsburgh is lousy in the winter. * Kept my other car, a 2000 Camry. * But, it seems to be in mint condition. * It sure is beautiful.
If it turns out to be costing me too much, you know, like repairs, insurance, etc. , I'll sell it.
So, how do you like it so far? *I'm probably going to have to get a second car in another year or so (my wife and I currently share one) and I've thought about getting a second hand Z3 (with the inline 6) or perhaps the M Coupe (the coupe version with the 300 HP engine). *Any comments on the quality, the handling, the maintenance, the dealerships, etc.?

I keep vacillating between a nice little sports car and a nice little economy car.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Re:  "Like a Rhinestone Cowboy, er, Pothole"

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Rhinestone Pothole contest, although we still have plenty of potholes around here.
Back in the 1970s, when Jack Bogut was KDKA's morning DJ, he used to have listeners call in with their worst pothole experience. Other listeners would vote for the stories that aired. The best of the worst stories ("It took me half a tank of gas to get out of the pothole by my house...") would get a cold patch of asphalt mixed with rhinestones.

The city DOT hated Bogut's contest but could never seem to do anything about it. Apparently patching potholes for free isn't illegal, and they weren't about to start a public debate.

The 1977-78 winter was so vicious that the shoveled snow was piled nine feet high by our driveway. The Ohio & Allegheny Rivers froze and the coal barges couldn't get through, so Duquesne Power & Light's "Fuel Deathwatch" got down to the single digits in days of coal remaining. We had so many snow days of school cancellations that graduation wasn't until well into June, and some kids actually had to return from Penn State's summer trimester to attend their high-school graduation.

I see nothing's changed, I still don't miss winter a bit, and my cars haven't needed a front-end alignment since I left Pittsburgh...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our current mayor (New Orleans) is a pothole filling fool compared to the past admin. Helped get him elected.

Below sea level on Mississippi mud means we will always have the problem - it was one of the TV channels that used to have the pothole of the week.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:28 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm car shopping now and have a couple of questions: *Is this technique only appropriate to new cars and when do you test drive the vehicle?
Judy, I might drop in and test drive a car before I make an offer (although not always), but I don't negotiate at the dealership. When I make the offer it's contingent on an inspection and a test drive. I doubt that this would apply to used cars, though. On a used car I'd want to drive it and have a mechanic inspect it before making an offer.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Hyperb:
If you're buying a second car and live in a good weather area, a Z3 is a nice car, fun to drive. Haven't had mine long enough to assess the repair costs. Mine is a 4cyl, manual, so I expect to get about 30mpg. So, I think it's the best of both worlds - a sports car and an economy car. But the 2.8 liter, 6cyl is a good engine. I would recommend a manual tranny, I hear that BMW makes an excellent manual tran. It's a 3rd car for us, so I won't be driving it in bad weather - like 99.99% of the winter here. Quality and handling are excellent, but like I said, don't know about maintenance yet.

Nords: do you ever get back to the 'burgh ? Don't forget to watch the Steeler game on Sunday. How about this: the temp at game time will be about 15 degrees, wind chill at 0 degrees. Right now it's snowing ; we'll get 4 to 6 inches today.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords: *do you ever get back to the 'burgh ? * Don't forget to watch the Steeler game on Sunday. * *How about this: *the temp at game time will be about 15 degrees, wind chill at 0 degrees. * *Right now it's snowing ; *we'll get 4 to 6 inches today.
Well, there you go. To me, Pittsburgh seemed to be a really good reason for joining the Navy instead of attending Carnegie-Mellon. My folks moved to Denver about the same time and there's no close family in the Tri-state area. I haven't been back since 1983, although I still swap e-mail with a few high-school classmates. Maybe I'll make it back for another high-school reunion someday. I'd have a hard time convincing spouse & kid to join me, though.

Except for Navy travel & family emergencies, last fall's DisneyWorld trip was my first trek east of Anaheim since 1992. And we were originally planning to go to Tokyo Disneyland...

I'm gonna record the Steelers game to show the kid the crowd shots. She still doesn't understand the concept of "winter"... but in about five weeks her school's Washington, DC trip will make it all too clear!

Old 02-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #73

Just dispensed with an auto related decision. We
have 2 vehicles (not counting the motorcycle), a 1997
pick up with 156,000 miles and a 1991 Jeep with 207,000 miles. The Jeep runs good but had been getting rusty. My sense of style can tolerate older cars
as long as they still look good. Anyway, I considered
various solutions and finally found a one-man body shop
to repair the rust. Cost me $770 on a vehicle which might only be worth $2,000. However, it looks great
and maybe we will get another couple of years.
Bottom line.............the $770 didn't look like much compared to what buying something newer would have cost. OTOH, eventually we'll have to do something.
Hopefully not for a while.
I think crossing this issue off my to-do list was the best part.

JG