cash

Our hurricane prep:

3. Leave when no electricity is available (but not before).

Works extremely well so far every time.

Seems like that might cut it a tad close if a Katrina is bearing down on you and thousands of cars are already on the highways. I would definitely need an ice cooler full of med's to handle that situation. :blink:

Touche. We live within the Denver metro area and nowhere near the forested edges. I figure that if my area gets hit by a forest fire it will mean that the whole city is gone and I have much bigger problems than the house burning down.
I have been to Denver. Not too many trees until one gets pretty far from the city center. Still, that does not mean one cannot have brush fire.

You want real forest fire? Look up the Rodeo-Chediski fire that consumed real trees, more than 700 sq.mi. of them. In comparison, Rhode Island is only 1000 sq.mi. Amazingly, there are plenty of forests left, not just burned stumps, for me to ride my motorcycle through to explore.

Anyway, another problem is water, but ejman already extended me an invitation. I even learned that his well is only 70ft deep, not the depth of the wells here or in Texas.

Yep, that's another sign of problem. People have to drill deeper for water now than they used to do for oil. We're toastally doomed!

Last edited:
I have been to Denver. Not too many trees until one gets pretty far from the city center. Still, that does not mean one cannot have brush fire.

You want real forest fire? Look up the Rodeo-Chediski fire that consumed real trees, more than 700 sq.mi. of them. In comparison, Rhode Island is only 1000 sq.mi. Amazingly, there are plenty of forests left, not just burned stumps, for me to ride my motorcycle through to explore.

Anyway, another problem is water, but ejman already extended me an invitation. I even learned that his well is only 70ft deep, not the depth of the wells here or in Texas.

Yep, that's another sign of problem. People have to drill deeper for water now than they used to do for oil. We're toastally doomed!

Eh, I have a camper with gear for at least a few days sitting in the driveway. If necessary, I will hitch up and split. Drive 100 miles east and there really isn't even brush to burn.

Drive 100 miles east and there really isn't even brush to burn.
True. But make sure you have enough water.

But to the NW (was it in the Rocky Mountain NP?), the bark beetles already got most of the trees. Oops, those dead trees are of course tinder, a real fire hazard. I would be very worried.

True. But make sure you have enough water.

But to the NW (was it in the Rocky Mountain NP?), the bark beetles already got most of the trees. Oops, those dead trees are of course tinder, a real fire hazard. I would be very worried.

Eh, I am extremely well-insured. If the house burns down, so be it. I ain't gonna spend my time fretting about it. But we do need rain or snow.

Amazingly, there are plenty of forests left, not just burned stumps, for me to ride my motorcycle through to explore.

A while back, someone just happened to notice that in paintings of people and scenery from over 100 years ago rarely showed thick, dense forestation, even in areas that are very heavily wooded.

Then it occurred that back then, if a forest fire started somewhere it was just allowed to burn itself out. As a result, the forestation was a lot thinner for the next lightning strike or spark and major fires were averted. Apparently its also excellent for the soil quality to burn everything out and start over.

So in short, by putting every little fire out, we make future fires worse and the soil quality in the areas worse. I understand the problem though, way too many pesky people building houses in areas where fire danger is high.

I keep a grand or two in the fire safe. Comes in handy when I need instant cash for a gift or for a school thing.

As I understand it, back in the meltdown we came within a few hours or days of enough of a collapse that people wouldn't be able to use atm's for at least a while. Good enough for me to mitigate that sort of potential problem by keeping enough cash to buy food and whatnot for a few weeks.

Not to mention that whole solar flare thing that comes around every hundred years or so. Last time it happened in the 1800's about the only technology we had was telegraph lines, and the flare blew the wires off the poles and caused extensive sparking around the machines. Oh, and we're overdue for the next one. Solar storm of 1859 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus we in California are overdue for a major bay area earthquake. I'm far enough away that the quake wouldn't affect me, but the resulting mayhem probably would.

That Peshtigo Forest Fire is truly impressive. Yes, I looked it up.

"... 1,875 square miles (4,860 km² or 1.2 million acres) of forest had been consumed, an area approximately twice the size of Rhode Island. Some sources list 1.5 million acres (6,100 km²) burned. Twelve communities were destroyed. An accurate death toll has never been determined since local population records were destroyed in the fire. Between 1,200 and 2,500 people are thought to have lost their lives."​

The AZ Rodeo-Chediski Fire destroyed less than half the above area, was mostly contained in a national forest, and because it occurred in modern time, did not cause any casualty.

I understand the problem though, way too many pesky people building houses in areas where fire danger is high.
Now that a fire has swept through, those pesky people who remained would be safe for a while, ya think?

Now that a fire has swept through, those pesky people who remained would be safe for a while, ya think?

"We'll take it! Its pre-disastered!"

0.jpg

The pre-disaster logic works for forest fires, which thin out the tinder. Not so much for plane crashes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and droughts, etc... :cool:

It may work for earthquakes too, which release some pressures in the earth.

Plus we in California are overdue for a major bay area earthquake.

I wonder if the same logic works with the economy. The US got "sub-primed" pretty bad in the Great Recession. Will it not come for another generation or two?

Then, why is it that I recalled going through several smaller housing busts before that big one?

Last edited:
FYA (For Your Amusement):

Our house was built after the Rodeo-Chediski fire. We did look at some existing homes prior to that. A couple were in an area touched by the fire, and miraculously survived. It was because most houses were actually at the edge of the national forest, not inside it. Hence, the surrounding trees were not as dense.

As you can guess, the prices of those houses were quite a bit lower than others. Hmm... In the end, I decided that not having to look at the surrounding burned stumps was worth paying a bit more money. Quite a bit more. Now, those surviving houses were truly "pre-disastered". However, the sellers were not able to raise the price with that qualification. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Speaking of forest fires, the Biscuit fire in 2002 burned almost 500,000 acres and was finally stopped near the Rogue River about 20 miles from my house. I do live in the forest but according to the Forest service I have enough "defensible" space around the house. I hope not to test that anytime soon (we haven't had a drop of rain for over 3 months...)

That's the same year as the AZ fire I described. 2002 was a busy year for fires. The whole West was on fire!

Yes, up there, your whole state is a big forest. Not like here, where most of the forested area is a national forest, and private lots are mostly at the fringe of it.

If I had my house then, from its deck I would be able to survey the fire and have tales to tell. If they let me stay despite the evacuation, that is. And if I would dare stay.

Last edited:
I wonder if the same logic works with the economy. The US got "sub-primed" pretty bad in the Great Recession. Will it not come for another generation or two?

Then, why is it that I recalled going through several smaller housing busts before that big one?

I bought a house in San Antonio for $56K in 1979, only to watch it (from a distance as I was working overseas) drop to about $40K in the early 80's. I had the house rented and being from an earlier generation I thought you just managed it the best you could until things improved (sold the house in 2005 and made a small capital gain). This new fangled walk away from it bit never even occurred to me.

When I was young and had no money, I worried about that. Now that I am older and retired and have a nickel or two, I worry about that. My income is military retirement, s.s., pension and two rental properties. Cash in the bank at .55 only earns like $20 a month per 50k. I like to stay liquid.
If all the banks go under, bank accounts will be worthless. If too much money keeps getting printed and put into the economy, cash will be almost worthless.
I keep about 5k in cash in the house. Sometimes the wife and I think about keeping nearly all of our cash in a safe in the house. But then, if it becomes worthless... So, we are stockpiling food and water. Reading too many survivalist forums huh!

You have one possibility of many covered. Now work on a few more.

When I was young and had no money, I worried about that. Now that I am older and retired and have a nickel or two, I worry about that. My income is military retirement, s.s., pension and two rental properties. Cash in the bank at .55 only earns like $20 a month per 50k. I like to stay liquid.
If all the banks go under, bank accounts will be worthless. If too much money keeps getting printed and put into the economy, cash will be almost worthless.
I keep about 5k in cash in the house. Sometimes the wife and I think about keeping nearly all of our cash in a safe in the house. But then, if it becomes worthless... So, we are stockpiling food and water. Reading too many survivalist forums huh!

I suppose we could argue whether stockpiling for survival has any merit (yes, someone might take your stash though I doubt most folks would charge down a load of 00 shot for a can of beans). But, I've stockpiled this year on items I use routinely (primarily canned/prepared foods, paper/plastic products, etc.) This had little to do with "survival" and more to do with my personal outlook on the value of the US$. Unfortunately, these items have been my best investments, earning over 10%. Personally, I don't believe the "official" inflation numbers and my personal documentation backs that up. So, criticize "stockpiling" all you want, but it can be used strategically. Not a recommendation, just an observation of what worked for me this year. As always, YMMV.

I suppose we could argue whether stockpiling for survival has any merit (yes, someone might take your stash though I doubt most folks would charge down a load of 00 shot for a can of beans).

You underestimate the will power of someone with a couple of hungry kids sitting in the bushes, or what 10-12 looters can manage.

But, I've stockpiled this year on items I use routinely (primarily canned/prepared foods, paper/plastic products, etc.) This had little to do with "survival" and more to do with my personal outlook on the value of the US$. Unfortunately, these items have been my best investments, earning over 10%. Personally, I don't believe the "official" inflation numbers and my personal documentation backs that up. So, criticize "stockpiling" all you want, but it can be used strategically. Not a recommendation, just an observation of what worked for me this year. As always, YMMV.

I'm not a hoarder, but on the occasions when Amazon or P&G has coconut water, detergent, paper towels and whatnot on a deep sale I buy 4-8 cases.

And yeah, inflation is ridiculous right now, but apparently I'm imagining it. Meat and milk prices shot up, gas is high, and I'm not seeing anything still at the same price as last year. Hell, taco bells "$2 meal deals" cost $3 now, and the $5 box meal is now $5.50...

And yeah, inflation is ridiculous right now, but apparently I'm imagining it. Meat and milk prices shot up, gas is high, and I'm not seeing anything still at the same price as last year. Hell, taco bells "$2 meal deals" cost $3 now, and the $5 box meal is now $5.50...

Yup. DW and I were trying to decide which "dollar" menu to use yesterday. McD's was $1.50 and BK was $1.99. Go figure. YMMV

I'm not a hoarder, but on the occasions when Amazon or P&G has coconut water, detergent, paper towels and whatnot on a deep sale I buy 4-8 cases.
There is a huge difference between "stocking up" and "hoarding". Stocking up (also referred to as prepping) is when you go to the store and buy six whazzits and the store will replenish them in the next day or so. There's not a shortage of whazzits - you just want some extra to keep in the house.

Hoarding, in survival terms, means there's a shortage and you're trying to grab as much as you can without regard to the restocking capability of the store or for others who might need the same item.

We stock up on things that are basic to our every day lives - food, cleaning supplies, and sanitary supplies not because we think the world is going to come physically crashing down around us - we stock up because it's just too darn far to go to town for piddly things and prices (including gas) are going up. However, in case the world does come crashing down you won't see us in the FEMA lines. And the rifle will be pointed at the gate.

There is a huge difference between "stocking up" and "hoarding". Stocking up (also referred to as prepping) is when you go to the store and buy six whazzits and the store will replenish them in the next day or so. There's not a shortage of whazzits - you just want some extra to keep in the house...
Thanks for the distinction. I feel so much better now that I am a "stocker", not a "hoarder".

Case in point: Recently, in my recent RV trek through California, we happened to stop by a Trader Joe's. As even chain stores like Costco often carry some regional items, we went in for a look. Then, I saw the "two-buck chuck" wines there. I do often drink this inexpensive wine, but have to pay $2.99 in my state. Here, it has always been $1.99.

So, I picked up two cases and tossed them in my motorhome and saved myself $24. My MH has a cargo carrying capacity of more than 2,500 lbs, of which I used perhaps 500 lbs, and still had a lot of reserve. I guess if I loaded it up to the gills with cases of cheap wine, I would be called a hoarder, but I did not.

Hmmm... I could have gone for 2 or 4 more cases, as I had room. Darn it!

Last edited:
Wow, we must be lucky... our local Taco Bells still have the meal deals for $2

Depends on where you go. The taco bell deals can be had for the original $2 at some locations in cruddy towns or far from the highway. The ones near the highway, in nice areas or in malls are the $3 version. Taco Bell has one of the biggest variances in menu prices of any of the fast food places I go.

Thanks for the distinction. I feel so much better now that I am a "stocker", not a "hoarder".

Case in point: Recently, in my recent RV trek through California, we happened to stop by a Trader Joe's. As even chain stores like Costco often carry some regional items, we went in for a look. Then, I saw the "two-buck chuck" wines there. I do often drink this inexpensive wine, but have to pay $2.99 in my state. Here, it has always been $1.99.

So, I picked up two cases and tossed them in my motorhome and saved myself $24. My MH has a cargo carrying capacity of more than 2,500 lbs, of which I used perhaps 500 lbs, and still had a lot of reserve. I guess if I loaded it up to the gills with cases of cheap wine, I would be called a hoarder, but I did not.

Hmmm... I could have gone for 2 or 4 more cases, as I had room. Darn it!
You still wouldn't be a hoarder because all those cases of cheap wine you took off the shelf will be replaced within hours if not minutes. If there was a shortage of wine, and you took all of it all knowing it would not be restocked any time soon, then you're a hoarder. :cool: So, the moral of this story is to fill the darn RV with all the cheap wine you want so when the SHTF you're sitting pretty. Unless you start tossing all the wine bottles in the garbage for the neighbors to see and that's - as we say in Texas - a whole 'nuther matter. (Note: the mention of "cheap wine" brings back bad memories of drinking way too much Boones Farm Apple Wine as a young 'un). :yuk:

Back
Top Bottom