Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No. I don't even have a safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
Anybody consider taking, say $40-50k (or other substantial amount) out of your savings account and just sticking it in your home safe?

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have important documents (titles, passports,...) in an unlocked fireproof safe in the basement. My hope was that a burgler would look at the junk toss it all out on the floor and ignore it. I didn't count on the fireproof bit being a misnomer. I figure if I put it in a bank vault we will get hit with a nuke or something -- but, then, what will I care?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

The rest of the story.

I mentioned the money-in-the-mattress solution for keeping money safe. A crackpot lead in like that deserves to have the whole story told.
I used to have a large safe in my basement. It was a thing of beauty, made in 1800's with ornate pre-Victorian bas reliefs and bands of steel that would thwart any attempts to open it. When my home was flooded, the safe mechanisms seized, making it a square steel 'boulder' in the basement.
I called for estimates. It was cheaper to buy another safe than to open this one, and had estimates to haul it away that were several grand, assuming that I first moved it out of the basement to a place that a crane could lift it to a truck. $$$$$!!!
I spent a few hours with a drill and cutting wheel to open a small hole through the first steel layer to the fireproof powder/cement layer, and a few hours trying to move it a few feet. Clearly, none of these would work. I did, however, learn how Stonehenge boulders were moved by a DIYer in England using a rock to balance the boulder and it being swiveled (walked) inch by inch, and that fire resistant ratings come from the number of inches of drywall and concrete that is in the walls.
What eventually happened was the basement floor was jack hammered out, I poured new footings to support my house, a big hole was dug in the floor, the safe was pushed in, then refilled the hole and the floor was re-poured. Except for the hole, this was work that I had to do anyway.

I still had that small child inside that liked cubbyholes to hide my treasures, and not wanting to spend another few grand to have a new safe moved in, incorporated my hidden cache under my new floor. I guess that after I lost three banks and credit unions, I became that depression-era crank that doesn't trust banks. Mutual funds ARE safe tho
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
What eventually happened was the basement floor was jack hammered out, I poured new footings to support my house, a big hole was dug in the floor, the safe was pushed in, then refilled the hole and the floor was re-poured. Except for the hole, this was work that I had to do anyway.
A few centuries from now, an archaeologist will discover this and will write a PhD thesis about the habits of the devans0s!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's not enough room in my safe for that amount of cash. The rice, beans and ammo take up too much room.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Right here in town there was a murder of a man, his wife, and their son. Since this town is like "Mayberry", there was disbelief and confusion as to why this had happened. As it turns out, there were three men that committed the crime and hauled out a safe from the home that was said to contain "gold coins". The safe was found demolished but unopened in a ditch right out of town. Bottom line was three murdered, and three now in the justice system, all due to a rumor about what was in the safe.
Sad part is that the safe held no coins at all.
Anyway, this story came to mind with this thread. I would not recommend 50K hanging around the house.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Get Ready!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Wouldn't it be better to spend a few bucks so that you could harvest your own food?

That might mean trees that provide nourishment (oranges, pecans, mulberries, apples, pears, etc), edible landscaping, and a garden for other stuff. Then some local animals like squirrels, pigeons, cats, and fish or whatever that you could catch and eat.
This makes the most sense to me. I bought a small track of land that has a creek flowing through it, lots of tasty critters, and plenty of wood for burning. Although I hope I never have to use it to survive, I could probably survive for a little while. Anywho, getting back to the original question, keeping a few thousand bucks for an emergency around the house is a good move. If I had $50k laying around my house, I would never leave my house!! I am way too paranoid. I don't like keeping more than a hundred bucks in my wallet! I don't want the boogey man to hurt me or take my money. Yeah, I am paranoid.