Join Early Retirement Today

cash
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

cash

Anybody consider taking, say $40-50k (or other substantial amount) out of your savings account and just sticking it in your home safe? There are some so called financial gurus that are leaning that way. Saying things like "If your money is just blips on a bank computer, if you don't have physical possession of your money you don't really own it" etc

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The amount I'd need to sustain FIRE if the computer blips disappear is way more than I'd want to keep at home. Keep a few dollars in case the ATM networks fail, yes, but it's impractical to be prepared for every remotely possible economic meltdown.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why on earth would you do this? Risk of theft, fire, flood, etc. is all up there. A few thousand for just in case, sure. 40 to 50k?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Why on earth would you do this? Risk of theft, fire, flood, etc. is all up there. A few thousand for just in case, sure. 40 to 50k?
I agree.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My feeling is that it would be a mistake to keep a large sum of money at home. Most home safes are not really that secure. And even worse, you may be forced to open your safe under duress.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like prepper thinking, and if you want tangible valuables to hold onto, why not keep some precious metals around the house? At least if your house does burn down, there's a chance you might be able to recover them.

I try to use credit cards for everything (balance paid off each month), so I keep as little cash around as possible.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Heck, anything that would make that blip make your money worthless just because you do not have physical possession will also make that $40K or $50K worthless...

No GOOD reason to keep that kind of money laying around...
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
There are some so called financial gurus that are leaning that way.
There are some "so called" gurus saying the world will end next week. Who ya' gonna believe?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have thought about it but if could not leave it house without worrying so I just keep it in the bank. I used to keep about three grand here and again I worried so I now keep only a few dollars
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

While I have at least $50k cash equivalent sitting around investment accounts earning approximately the same as it would buried in my backyard (nuttin'), I'd worry about being able to store it at home safely.

I used to have about $20k in Englehardt 10 oz silver bars here at home. My State Farm agent would not provide a reasonably priced rider to my home owner's policy to protect it. So, I sold at a nice profit but not nearly the profit I would have made had I hung onto it until today.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I could see doing that with $1-2k at most, but not $40-50k. Too many things to go wrong in relation to the potential benefits.

That said, I usually only have whatever is in my wallet (usually $100-250) and I do have $100 in 1972 silver dollars in a drawer somewhere around here.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azphx1972 View Post
Sounds like prepper thinking.
Or, more likely, an Illinois politician........

The chosen method of storage for one of our prior Secretary of State was in shoe boxes on the closet shelf.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If I was inclined to do this, and I'm not, I'd put the cash in a safe deposit box.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
gone traveling

is this a mayan end of the world question.

my opinion is that if really is the end of the world money won't be needed
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
+1
I don't keep more than a few hundred in cash stashed at home.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

I think keeping a few thousand at home is very prudent. During the worst of Sandy, many people were in dire, albeit temporary, need of cash as businesses were not accepting checks or credit/debit cards. ATMs, if working, had restrictions on what you were allowed to withdraw. This is not a doomsday scenario. It happens and cash on hand is cheap insurance. Also, what if there is a computer error on your account? One woman in my city had a 7 figure electric bill. Of course it will be straightened out in short order, but if you auto-pay and don't have multiple sources of ready cash(alternate liquid accounts) you have to shut down any spending until it is fixed. I would rather continue my life in progress until things are back to normal.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by human743 View Post
I think keeping a few thousand at home is very prudent. During the worst of Sandy, many people were in dire, albeit temporary, need of cash as businesses were not accepting checks or credit/debit cards. ATMs, if working, had restrictions on what you were allowed to withdraw. This is not a doomsday scenario. It happens and cash on hand is cheap insurance. Also, what if there is a computer error on your account? One woman in my city had a 7 figure electric bill. Of course it will be straightened out in short order, but if you auto-pay and don't have multiple sources of ready cash(alternate liquid accounts) you have to shut down any spending until it is fixed. I would rather continue my life in progress until things are back to normal.
And this sort of thing is why I keep a couple thousand in cash around. But 50k? If you were in the kind of situation where you needed this much cash, you would probably be better off with MREs and shotshells.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've thought about it but the risk is too great. This year I had an experience at a hotel with the in room safe. My valuables were locked up and the safe battery went dead. I was unable to open the safe. The maintenance lady took about 20 seconds with a philips screwdriver and a hex socket to open the safe. Your never as safe as you think you are.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the few $thousand folks -- enough to get through a bad storm. If you lean toward the "prepper" way of thinking you should be stocking guns, gold, and food, not cash. Who will take your cash when it all comes down?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Who will take your cash when it all comes down?

Some guy with a can of tuna who thinks that eventually paper currency will be good again someday (maybe) will sell it to you for $6,000. That is, if he thinks he has tuna to spare!

I agree with the few $k folks too.