Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've started playing the credit card games so we use whatever card we are working on the minimum spend sign up bonus points. We've netted $2.3K in cash back / gift cards the last few months among 3 people (me, DH and me as an authorized buyer doing most of the spending on a card one of our college age kids opened.) And interestingly our credit scores went up.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
CHASE Freedom (no fee) - category bonus each quarter earn 5% up to around $1500
and you can transfer the points to your Sapphire card!
currently includes Gas Stations for this quarter.
+1.

We use the Chase Freedom + Sapphire Preferred combo. Then redeem for travel (@1.25) instead of cash (@1.00).

Planning on getting Barclay's Arrival Plus World Elite, too, maybe 6 months to 1 year before our next vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We've started playing the credit card games so we use whatever card we are working on the minimum spend sign up bonus points. We've netted $2.3K in cash back / gift cards the last few months among 3 people (me, DH and me as an authorized buyer doing most of the spending on a card one of our college age kids opened.) And interestingly our credit scores went up.
Likely because of the higher overall credit limit.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Barclay's (Sallie Mae) Visa for 5% back on Gas, Groceries and Amazon
Fidelity Amex for 2% back on everything else.
+1
I would get the Citi double cash if they every make me a bonus offer. A few places will not take the AmEx.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

$400? have $50,000 spare cash you want to work for a month?

https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/15...1D5D4A3244FA12
Old 09-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
CHASE Freedom (no fee) - category bonus each quarter earn 5% up to around $1500
and you can transfer the points to your Sapphire card!
currently includes Gas Stations for this quarter.

Agree that the 5% is good.... but I hate these quarterly cards with different categories.... you got this Chase and Discover.... and surprisingly they mostly match categories.... this quarter they are different, but some years they match the whole year...

It also drives DW crazy as she is just getting used to a category and then they change... and Discover is only .25% regularly... at least Chase is 1%...
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
+1.

We use the Chase Freedom + Sapphire Preferred combo. Then redeem for travel (@1.25) instead of cash (@1.00).

Planning on getting Barclay's Arrival Plus World Elite, too, maybe 6 months to 1 year before our next vacation.
If you're willing to play the card bonus game you can essentially travel everywhere for free (ok you do pay for local transportation and food). I haven't paid for a flight/hotel in years, for example.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
If you're willing to play the card bonus game you can essentially travel everywhere for free (ok you do pay for local transportation and food). I haven't paid for a flight/hotel in years, for example.
That might work fine if you're already retired and have a flexible schedule. However, I find there tends to be a lot of restrictions when it comes to redeeming some airline/hotel-based rewards programs. That's why I prefer cashback credit cards with option for travel redemption.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my AmexBlue, plus I like the extras that Amex provides, such as cheap rental insurance and extra insurance when you are traveling abroad, it gave me peace of mind. They also provide lots of extras here and there like $10 back if you spend $30 on Amazon in the next 30 days.. most of the offers I have been able to take advantage of so rack up many extra.

The other card I use is through my credit union which isn't cash back but reward based and I can still get lots of flights for only 20k points vs many cards moving to 50k miles
Old 09-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
+1.

Likely because of the higher overall credit limit.

DH uses Freedom, and I use Saphire and Barclay. I sure wish daycare accepted Credit Card! I've been able to get the annual fee's waved most times, and sure have received some good travel discounts / free trips with this combo

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I have 2 cards, Chase Sapphire and Amex Preferred... have been happy with the cash back features of both for the last 2 years.

Are there any other newer, better offers out there that I should investigate?
The Capital One Quicksilver looks like a winner with 1.5% cash back on everything, no limit... anyone using this one?

Thanks in advance...
Just got the capital one quicksilver. 10K card limit. 1.5% seems very
straight forward. $100 reward, if you spend $500 1st 3 months.
Will use this as "base" card.

Use other cards for grocery store and restaurants. (2% and 3% rewards).

Old 09-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I started using Discover 30+ years ago when they started and it is still my main CC. No CC market-timing for me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Primary card is still the Amex Cash Preferred. 6% on groceries, 3% on gas and 1% on everything else. If Chase Freedom is running a good "category", I will use it (such as 5% on gas through the end of September).

I just got an offer for a Navy Federal Cash Rewards that will give me $150 if I put $1,500 on it in 3 months time. And a local bank also sent a $250 offer if I do a direct deposit of at least $1,000 for 3 months and use a check card 15 times in the same 3 months. Not very much work at all for $400!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #33

I just got this offer on a Sears M/C card that I already had: 10% back (in a statement credit) up to $100 between now and the end of December. Between groceries, gas, and a few other things we'll probably be able to put $1k a month on the card and get the full $400 benefit. And pay it off in full every month of course - they're gonna hate me for that!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
We have done that as well, but I dislike flying so much we have slowed down on it.

The trick to getting the free flights (like to HI) is to book it many many months in advance. I never had an issue of not getting one, although sometimes I had to search each night for up to 4 nights (which is what I would do if tickets were expensive in $$$ too).
Old 09-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I got both of these 2 cards in the past couple weeks. Ive made purchases on both cards.

CitiBank 2% card...made purchase on 8/28. My online account shows Zero cash back earned. I called and they confirmed I do have cash back and said it would show up on my screen in a few days. It still hasnt.

Capital One 1.5% card...cash back showed up online immediately (incl $100 bonus that I didnt know I was getting)
Both cards show ytd total cash back amount earned on your home page after you sign in, and on monthly statements. Neither show points by individual purchase online or on statements (for reader's clarification). Capital one pays 1 1/2% total for purchases - easy to calculate. Citi pays 1% on purchases, and 1% on payments - not as easy to calculate with the lag of always two statements. Both make it fairly easy to redeem, and promote it to you when you sign in to your account. Neither CC points (cash back, credit, donate, etc) expire. Your Cap 1 QS $100 bonus for +$500.00 purchases within the first 3 mos. may be applied as a credit to future purchases/statement, and not against the current statement. Had both cards now for 5 months, and happy with both. Only had issues with Capital One and they were minor due to their policy changes that hadn't caught up with their customer service people (and unhappy they dropped text alerts).
Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #36

I know it is legal now for gas stations to charge one price if paying cash and a higher price if paying with a credit card. Is that legal for other retailers now also? With high cc fees, retailers have to charge higher prices, and if cash and cc prices are the same, then the cash buyer is paying a premium.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #37

I'm not aware there is a law that controls the distinction a merchant can make when it comes to paying for purchases. Gas or otherwise. I have always been able to negotiate a cash price with a small merchant equal to a 2-3% discount.

You just need to ask. Some may be willing to do the math for you if you write a check or hand them cash rather than use a card. Small merchant means a family owned business, sole proprieter, etc.

Rita
Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
I'm not aware there is a law that controls the distinction a merchant can make when it comes to paying for purchases.
AFAIK, it's not a law, just one of the requirements of the credit card companies. MC and Visa at least. They forbid a merchant from charging cash customers less than those using their cards.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the Fed's changed that a few months back in one of the financial industry fix laws they passed. They required cc companys to change.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Agree that the 5% is good.... but I hate these quarterly cards with different categories.... you got this Chase and Discover.... and surprisingly they mostly match categories.... this quarter they are different, but some years they match the whole year...

It also drives DW crazy as she is just getting used to a category and then they change... and Discover is only .25% regularly... at least Chase is 1%...
going to stick up for Discover our main card for over 25 years. IMHO they have great customer service. We don't have a huge monthly spend so for us, the bonus quarterly offers are great. I also get a lot of customized cashback offers in my email.Finally, Discover has one of the greatest shopping portals around, with offers all the time/ We were in the market for a new TV and 2-in-1 tablet used the Dell Black Friday offers and logged on thru discover deals..10% cashback bonus for Dell, and 5% on the first 1500 dollars spent online 4th quarter. When the bill came due we had stockpiled enough cashback for both the TV and 2in1 . If you aren't using the shopping portal connected to your main card, you are likely leaving some money on the table.People mention travel savings, we have found Expedia packages to be exceptional for the areas we travel to. Discover has a pretty consistent 10% cashback offer on the travel portion (not including taxes)on Expedia. I think Discover can be an underrated card.