Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
AFAIK, it's not a law, just one of the requirements of the credit card companies. MC and Visa at least. They forbid a merchant from charging cash customers less than those using their cards.
I do not think that is true anymore. A lot of companies do it. I think there was some CFPB law that makes it legal.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

My Citibank Sears MasterCard just sent me an email. Receive 10% back as a statement credit (up to $100 total each month) when you spend $50 or more each month in eligible purchases at grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations and restaurants are made and post to your account by 12/31/2015.

Wait till my wife hears. She loves the restaurant rewards.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I closed my fidelity Amex because they kept denying my card at places I shopped all the time....it was so annoying. So I switched to citi double cash back about 6 months and have been very happy.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #44

I just did a little googling... In January 2013 a settlement was reached whereby cc companies could no longer prevent merchants from recovering cc surcharges from customers in the US. However there are 10 states that still have laws prohibiting this practice. http://business.time.com/2013/01/25/...ut-not-likely/

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
going to stick up for Discover our main card for over 25 years. IMHO they have great customer service. We don't have a huge monthly spend so for us, the bonus quarterly offers are great. I also get a lot of customized cashback offers in my email.Finally, Discover has one of the greatest shopping portals around, with offers all the time/ We were in the market for a new TV and 2-in-1 tablet used the Dell Black Friday offers and logged on thru discover deals..10% cashback bonus for Dell, and 5% on the first 1500 dollars spent online 4th quarter. When the bill came due we had stockpiled enough cashback for both the TV and 2in1 . If you aren't using the shopping portal connected to your main card, you are likely leaving some money on the table.People mention travel savings, we have found Expedia packages to be exceptional for the areas we travel to. Discover has a pretty consistent 10% cashback offer on the travel portion (not including taxes)on Expedia. I think Discover can be an underrated card.
I like the Discover portal and also recently started using Giving Assistant. I like Giving Assistant because the cash back money gets sent to a checking account daily, and usually gets credited right after the item purchased is shipped. Plus they have pretty good cashback percentages at most merchants, including Amazon.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by valueplayer View Post
I closed my fidelity Amex because they kept denying my card at places I shopped all the time....it was so annoying. So I switched to citi double cash back about 6 months and have been very happy.
They denied our purchase of tires at the Costco we patronize weekly between groceries and gas, because the amount was more than we usually spend. This is true because tires cost more than toilet paper and organic chicken, and we buy chicken and TP more often than we buy tires, but we were surprised we had to call and explain that.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
They denied our purchase of tires at the Costco we patronize weekly between groceries and gas, because the amount was more than we usually spend. This is true because tires cost more than toilet paper and organic chicken, and we buy chicken and TP more often than we buy tires, but we were surprised we had to call and explain that.
That is actually a good thing and to be expected, although many companies call immediately after the purchase to verify no fraud was involved, rather than block outright unless it's a foreign purchase.

It's a minor inconvenience to talk with a credit card company when you make an unusual large purchase - like that time we bought my Dad a plasma screen TV out of state.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you have a Sam's Club membership anyway, I think the Sam's Club branded card is a pretty good deal: 5% on gas, 3% on travel (restaurants, hotels, rental cars, air fare, etc.), 1% on almost all else.

You can also get a one time statement credit when you sign up and use the card on the same day; but, I don't remember those details off the top of my head.

This is becoming my go to card since the majority of my spend is lumped into what they consider travel and gas.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
If you have a Sam's Club membership anyway, I think the Sam's Club branded card is a pretty good deal: 5% on gas, 3% on travel (restaurants, hotels, rental cars, air fare, etc.), 1% on almost all else.

You can also get a one time statement credit when you sign up and use the card on the same day; but, I don't remember those details off the top of my head.

This is becoming my go to card since the majority of my spend is lumped into what they consider travel and gas.
I found out the hard way.... the gas rebate has restrictions.... I cannot use it at the major grocery stores here that have gas stations.... they are excluded... you still get the 1% on the purchase, not the 5....

The other negative is that you have to wait until (IIRC) February for them to send you a 'check' that you can only cash at a Sam's club.... and they said if it is large you should call ahead to let them know you are coming... it is a marketing tool that has you there so you will probably buy stuff... and since you have this check you probably will spend more than normal....

Just sayin....
Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post

I do Sam's Club because we don't have Costo around here, and I wouldn't use a Sam's Club card because I consider Sam's to have the worst customer service around. The minute I can get access to a Costo, Sam's is history to me......if they have the same attitude to their credit card I wouldn't get that one either.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I have 2 cards, Chase Sapphire and Amex Preferred... have been happy with the cash back features of both for the last 2 years.

Are there any other newer, better offers out there that I should investigate?
The Capital One Quicksilver looks like a winner with 1.5% cash back on everything, no limit... anyone using this one?

Thanks in advance...

I discovered Quicksilver accidentally. I was looking for a card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. I have to test it out though, they may have some hidden fee in the Euro/Dollar exchange rate.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #52

Can you pay everything with these credit cards?

Mortgage?
Utility bills?
Car payment?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Can you pay everything with these credit cards?

Mortgage?
Utility bills?
Car payment?
Mortgage, rent and monthly car payments, no (although you can use CC for car down payment). As for utility bills - gas, power, phone, internet, insurance, etc all allow credit cards. There's a convenience fee for DMV so I use cash/check for those.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #54

Although there are plenty of other ways to pay those (with a fee) using a CC. Such as radpad, evolve money, plastiq, chargesmart etc.

Can sometimes be worth it even with the fee depending on the CC rewards you're getting.