Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My groomer, chiropractor and hairdresser do not take any type of cards to keep costs down. Either cash or check. I am fine with that if it keeps costs down.
Most folks will get cash if they get a discount. If you think about it that is what the customer is doing right now with credit cards. I look for cash to make a semi-comeback. In a way I like this because I don't want a cash less society.

FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

If I recall correctly, credit cards initially became popular because by law they could charge these ridiculous fees so the consumer did not know the difference between cash and credit. Being allowed to do this was/is unfair to any business and because of the lack of visibility the popularity of cards exploded. Now companies can charge more for credit cards which is really fair. But cards are now so popular and ingrained in society it may never change. Now I do like my credit card and would not like to go back to a cash transactions but the ~3% charge is ridiculous. I use Venmo for no fee and would like to see fees lower substantially. But then I would have to give up my Fidelity 2% cash back on every charge.

Floridaman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Most of us here have cash back credit cards that return 1.5% - 2% of purchases, so a 3% cash discount is really 1% - 1.5%. Paying with credit card has other benefits, so Iíll continue to use it and disregard the cash discounts.
I agree that some purchases are better off being paid by CC if there are some benefits like extended warranty, rewind but I don'get why 3% cash discount is really 1% - 1.5%.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I agree that some purchases are better off being paid by CC if there are some benefits like extended warranty, rewind but I don'get why 3% cash discount is really 1% - 1.5%.
When I use my credit card I get 2% cash back. If a merchant gives me 3%, thatís only 1% more than I get with the card.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
... more than I get with the card.
+1
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I book a lot of vacation trips with a tour company that gives you a 5% discount on your balance if you pay it by check instead of credit card.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I book a lot of vacation trips with a tour company that gives you a 5% discount on your balance if you pay it by check instead of credit card.
While 5% is nice, what you might miss out on is: 2% back on the credit card and the included trip cancellation, lost baggage coverage.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The flip side of credit cards is that people tend to spend more, and more impulsively when using a card. So, in the long run, I'm not sure credit cards cost most retailers anything. It seems stupid for monopolies, like utility companies, to accept credit cards though I take full advantage of it.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The flip side of credit cards is that people tend to spend more, and more impulsively when using a card. So, in the long run, I'm not sure credit cards cost most retailers anything. It seems stupid for monopolies, like utility companies, to accept credit cards though I take full advantage of it.

This!
Old 11-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
While 5% is nice, what you might miss out on is: 2% back on the credit card and the included trip cancellation, lost baggage coverage.
Going a little OT, I noticed this fall while buying airline tickets with my Costco Citi Visa card that Citi has dropped its trip cancellation and interruption insurance benefit for travel purchases.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Skeptical? Do you work for the IRS? If not, why would you be concerned one way or another?

Edit to be clear: Not trying to argue. Just don't understand.

Well, pretty simple really: if someone cheats the IRS out of revenue then we all foot the bill in the end, either through higher taxes for all, or through reduced services.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Going a little OT, I noticed this fall while buying airline tickets with my Costco Citi Visa card that Citi has dropped its trip cancellation and interruption insurance benefit for travel purchases.
Yes, this is terrible, and it even affects trips for next year that have been purchased but not fully paid.

Until this point I liked the Costco Card, now it's nearly useless for me, as I can get 2.6% of everyday purchases with another card.

I'm in the process of getting a BOA CC that will have this travel coverage and then switch the card used on my trip for the final payment of $5,000.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Well, pretty simple really: if someone cheats the IRS out of revenue then we all foot the bill in the end, either through higher taxes for all, or through reduced services.
Sigh ... I get that. Here is what I don't understand:

The illogic that says merchants preferring cash are tax cheats and that all cash tips go unreported*. Both conclusions are prima facie false.

Then the rants about how reprehensible these theoretical sins are. That's mostly what I don't understand. What is the point of this?

Why get upset over something so economically trivial? Really, if you want to get upset about something that is not trivial, worry about the US position of #22 out of 180 countries in the Transparency International corruption index -- even behind Estonia. Or maybe get upset that a majority if Illinois governors seem to move from the mansion to prison? A few shopkeepers and a few servers not reporting 100% of cash income does not even move the needle.

-------------------------------
*BTW, the IRS understands this potential problem and goes to some lengths to ensure that cash tips are reported: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-and-reporting
Old 11-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Apparently the big tax cheats are in rural Mississippi.

Quote:
Humphreys County, Mississippi, seems like an odd place for the IRS to go hunting for tax cheats. It’s a rural county in the Mississippi Delta known for its catfish farms, and more than a third of its mostly African American residents are below the poverty line. But according to a new study, it is the most heavily audited county in America.
https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/eitc-audit
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Handling cash in a store is often a problem. It has to be counted, secured and deposited. Often cash takes more time at the register which night require more staffing during busy hours. All of the previous require time and effort ($$'s). Of course, if one is robbed, there goes the cash. Credit cards require the use of special terminals that the business needs to purchase. That's another expense.

I think each business can figure out what works best for it.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #56

It looks like they audit most in areas where the weather is nice year around.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #57

We have several businesses around that are either cash only (well advertised) or discount for cash. When I plan to shop there, I take cash.
Doesn't bother me.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #58

I pay less because they arenít taking cards and I always write a check and see most people paying with checks. They are small businesses.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Sigh ... I get that. Here is what I don't understand:

The illogic that says merchants preferring cash are tax cheats and that all cash tips go unreported*. Both conclusions are prima facie false.

Then the rants about how reprehensible these theoretical sins are. That's mostly what I don't understand. What is the point of this?

Why get upset over something so economically trivial? Really, if you want to get upset about something that is not trivial, worry about the US position of #22 out of 180 countries in the Transparency International corruption index -- even behind Estonia. Or maybe get upset that a majority if Illinois governors seem to move from the mansion to prison? A few shopkeepers and a few servers not reporting 100% of cash income does not even move the needle.

-------------------------------
*BTW, the IRS understands this potential problem and goes to some lengths to ensure that cash tips are reported: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...-and-reporting
The thing is, that nobody in this thread seems remotely "upset" except for you. Nobody said "all cash tips go unreported" except for you. Of course you can argue against those opinions, but you're fighting your own strawmen when you do.

For the rest of us, we're capable of wondering whether someone running a cash business is paying all their taxes and being concerned about government corruption at the same time. We don't have to abandon one of those thoughts in order to adopt the other.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The thing is, that nobody in this thread seems remotely "upset" except for you. Nobody said "all cash tips go unreported" except for you. Of course you can argue against those opinions, but you're fighting your own strawmen when you do. ...
Could be. If so, sorry. I think I've made my point by now.