Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cash Expenditures in Quicken
Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cash Expenditures in Quicken

How do you you Quicken users handle cash transactions?

In the past I've just treated an ATM withdrawal as "Miscellaneous." However, let's say I pay $18 cash for dinner at a restaurant. Is there a simple way to handle that, or do I need to create a cash account and transfer money to/from that?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cash Expenditures in Quicken
Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

In the past I've just treated an ATM withdrawal as "Miscellaneous." However, let's say I pay $18 cash for dinner at a restaurant. Is there a simple way to handle that, or do I need to create a cash account and transfer money to/from that?
I used to do that when I used Quicken. At first I was meticulous about tracking cash expenses, but after a while I found that to be a real pain in the butt because of the hassle of keeping receipts and the extra time I spent entering stuff. Eventually, I came up with some average figures on where I spent my cash each week and I just used those numbers automatically whenever I withdrew cash. I used a cash account and any ATM withdrawal went there and then was divided up according to my average numbers. For larger cash expenses (rare) I would manually adjust the figures. I created a transaction with the payee as "various payees" and a memorized split putting the amounts out to different categories.

Now that I'm using Money I might go back to that because I see that cash expenses are still high up in my list of expenses.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I enter the cash transaction and use the split feature to categorize the expense. It drives DH crazy, as I require receipts for these ATM withdrawals not to be categorized as "Don's Cash" (which is what I categorize his outrageous $30 week lunch habit)
But I do let him color-in the chart on the wall with crayon when we meet a new saving/investing milestone.

I find myself using cash less and less, and the debit card more often.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Yes, I use the split transaction feature. about 95% of the time I use a credit card. When I do get ATM Cash - I record the whole amount as 'Misc Cash'. But if I do make a purchase that is $25 or more, I try to take the time to go back to my last ATM Misc Cash entry, Put in a Split and then mark $25 of it for the other expenditure. It's not that difficult and I like the detail.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

When I use the ATM, sometimes I think about the lonely quicken box sitting on the shelf at home...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a "wallet" cash account.
ATM withdrawal transaction is a transfer to this account.
But I rarely use cash these days (maybe once a month) so it's not a big deal.
I'm sure Big Brother loves us, because we leave nice electronic trail, but the convenience (automatic downloads to all our personal and business accounts - 14 of them) is worth it.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #7

I use ATM as "Miscellaneous" and if something is significant I use the Split feature as well. Bottom line for us is that cash is almost exclusively used in the supermarket for "food and general household expenses, e.g. cleaning supplies" and I do not bother splitting.

What would be more important in our household is to use the Split feature for our credit card which we use for almost every thing else. I haven't had the enthusiasm to start that feature upon our return to Canada end of April but I need to. In the US, our Wells Fargo credit card had a 'spending report' feature online that I could look at each month....and they would send a written report at the end of each calander year showing annual spending by category. It was about 95% accurate for selecting the right categories and negated the need for me to separately do splits.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I just use a Cash Spent option. As soon as I withdraw cash for whatever reason it is simply deducted from checking as "cash". It might not be spent right away but I know it will be eventually. This keeps it extremely simple.
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #9

When I go to the ATM, I record the transaction as Dr checking; Cr Thai cash account. Before retirement I hated budgeting, but now it's a fun game to see if I can remember what I spent.

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #10

I use a separate cash account in Quicken. I only use cash about twice a week, so it's not too bad keeping up with it. Occasionally there's a "misc" transaction in there when I find less cash in my wallet than in Quicken.

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 AM   #11

Not an answer to the original question, but I don't use Quicken at all anymore. I used it for several years, but found my time tracking minutiae of spending was not being rewarded in any way. I don't need quicken to know that little expenses add up, and I like to think I spend the extra time I would use categorizing spending on actually making good purchasing decisions and shopping around.

There were even little subtle ways I would lose money by being obsessive about categorization. For instance I would go to a more expensive gas station where I could use a credit card, rather than buying cheaper gas at Mobil with cash, just so the gas transaction would be properly categorized in quicken.

I do like the rule Cut-throat proposed of categorizing everything above $25 and not sweating the smaller stuff.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote