Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Harry - a friend of mine is doing this in Iowa. Tax credit and rebates for furnace and AC. He said that along with the rebate info came the instructions that he will have to claim the rebate money as income on 2010 taxes. He will also get rebates from the local utility and the mfg (York).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
...along with the rebate info came the instructions that he will have to claim the rebate money as income on 2010 taxes.
Interesting. I guess I will just have to wait and see if the rebate issuer follows up with a 1099 form next January.

Of course, the double-dip a good deal even if the net rebate is going to be somewhat reduced by the taxable status. Last time I checked, it wasn't good practice to turn down money-for-nuthin' just because there was a little tax withholding off the top.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And whaddya bet the demand for qualifying appliances and systems for these programs all around the US is depleting retailer's inventories making it difficult to meet the deadlines.
Not yet, at least according to this article:

Consumer Reports Home & Garden Blog: Report: Cash for clunkers not boosting appliance sales—yet
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a little off in my response. I talked to him last night and he said they want him to subtract the rebate amounts from the price of the furnace when using it for the tax credit. Makes more sense.

Good luck, you might need speed dial . Every state is so different though. Our money went at lightning speed but Wisconsin had money available for 9 months before it ran out.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good luck, you might need speed dial . Every state is so different though. Our money went at lightning speed but Wisconsin had money available for 9 months before it ran out.
Could be the money lasts much longer here as well - there has been a surprising lack of publicity regarding the rebate program. Even though it kicks off in three weeks I have seen absolutely no mention of the program since the initial announcement late last year.

The heating and A/C company my SIL contacted to get estimates earlier this week hadn't heard of it either and thought she was talking about the "Energy Star" federal tax credit. I ended up calling their office, explaining the program to them and giving them links to the program on the state website to convince them the program was real.

Once they understood my SIL could end up getting ~$3,000 in rebates and tax credits for a system they had just priced at $5,400, I think I detected a bit of "Damn! We should have priced the system a lot higher!" in his voice.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm in Iowa and our $2.7 million appliance rebate program started March 1st.

The money was gone in 5 hours!
This article says the state appliance rebates are getting a mixed response, some like Iowa and Minnesota using up the rebate money the first day while others like NY still had money left a month after opening the program. No surprise, the speed the rebates are snatched up is directly proportional to the size of the rebates offered.

Iowa, where the money went very quickly, offered up to $200 for a qualifying central A/C. Texas is offering up to $875 ($1675 for a heat pump system).

I don't expect the TX rebates will last for long. Can you say 'the servers crashed'?

Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Can you say 'the servers crashed'?
lol - I can for Iowa and the phone system crashed. Iowa also had rebates for refrigerators, dishwashers, window A/C, and washers $100 - $500. Some states only offered rebate money for HVAC.

I have a boiler and a new fridge so I stayed out of the fray .

OT: I purchased my new refrigerator and my son left for college last August. My electric bill was cut in half! I'll be able to tell exactly how much savings was from the fridge when he moves home this summer (I think roughly 25%).
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

OT: I purchased my new refrigerator and my son left for college last August. My electric bill was cut in half! I'll be able to tell exactly how much savings was from the fridge when he moves home this summer (I think roughly 25%).
I'd be surprised, unless you use very, very little electricity other than for your refrigerator.

I have one of those Kill-a-Watt meters, and my 17 YO fridge (nothing fancy, not bought a s a super efficient unit at the time, in fact it is a bottom freezer, which people say are less efficient) uses less than $10/month (@ $0.10/KWHr), my 22 YO freezer uses less than $7/month. New units *might* use about half that, but it is half of a fairly small number.

The new fridge should have come with a statement on average costs, and you can probably look up the number for the old one. But I suspect you can thank your son for the savings (or yell at the kid for the waste ), I would not expect much more than a $5/month savings from the fridge. It is tough to tell just from your bill, seasonal variations can be large.

edit/add: I mentioned this for the clunkers, but they should do a reverse auction for these - offer small credits until the actions dries up, then keep raising them each week until the total funds allocated are used up. They would have a slow, controlled flow of money. They would optimize the number of upgrades (which was the point, right?). If a business consistently sold out in hours, they would raise the price of their product. Actually, they shouldn't do these credits at all, but that's another story.

-ERD50
Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #29

I got an e-mail from the state today, with new details:
Official Start Time Announced

The Texas Trade Up Appliance Rebate program officially begins on April 5, 2010, at 7 a.m. CT when rebate reservations will be accepted online through www.TexasPowerfulSmart.org or via phone toll-free at 1-877-780-3039.
Are you ready for the Texas Trade Up Appliance Rebate Program?

We have expanded our www.TexasPowerfulSmart.org Web site to add additional Appliance Rebate details related to:
We anticipate an extremely high volume of interest in this program, but you can stay up to date on the latest rebate information through our e-mail and mobile alerts. If you wish to receive mobile alerts, click on “Manage Your Comptroller e-mail subscriptions” at the bottom of this e-mail, and enter your mobile number under the secondary e-mail option.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck Harry!

The Texas website is much easier to navigate than the Iowa website.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #31

I got an email earlier today saying the start date for reserving a rebate for the TX program had been moved from Monday, April 5 to Wednesday, April 7. Seems they received a bunch of complaints about starting it on the Monday after Easter weekend. I guess too many folks will be suffering from hangovers traveling.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I got an email earlier today saying the start date for reserving a rebate for the TX program had been moved from Monday, April 5 to Wednesday, April 7. Seems they received a bunch of complaints about starting it on the Monday after Easter weekend. I guess too many folks will be suffering from hangovers traveling.
I got same email and other than reading about it here on the forum I haven't seen much in the way of advertising. Seems like Sears, Lowes and Home Depot would be all over this.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
I haven't seen much in the way of advertising. Seems like Sears, Lowes and Home Depot would be all over this.
I suspect it's because the rebates are only good if you purchase a qualifying appliance between April 16 - 25. Advertising the upcoming rebates at this point might discourage someone from purchasing now, hurting or at least delaying sales revenue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the above companies tie sales and ad campaigns to the rebate program once the purchase period arrives.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Can you say 'the servers crashed'?
No but I can say "page won't load".

The window just opened a little while ago. I've been clicking and dialing for 15 minutes. Clicking on the RESERVE REBATE button will only get you a "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded." message. Dialing the toll-free number gets a busy signal.

This feels like a j*b.

1 hour update:

I briefly got excited when I got an "all circuits are busy" message instead of a busy signal.

I opened three browsers. The banner on the page says "We are experiencing unprecedented traffic. Phones may be temporarily unavailable. Please keep trying online."

One of the three eventually loaded up a Choose Your Rebate page. But hot water heaters was not one of the choices. Grrrr.

It doesn't appear to be going well down in Austin. The banner on the second page says they have given only 1% of the reservations.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #35

Same here. A couple minutes to 7 it died. And endless busy signals. So much for that.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #36

I got as far as a web page that said 1% of the rebates were reserved but after that the site crashes. I wonder if traffic will die down later today but before the money is gone?

Go to go hit refresh.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm on vacation (staycation) this week and woke up thinking about the Texas rebate. I'll be checking in all day to see if you get the rebate [fingers crossed].
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #38

I will give the state high marks in one respect. It is extremely convenient that they provided the name of the responsible elected official so prominently on their web site.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #39

Twice (only) I've made it to the page with the blue boxes to choose your appliance. I saw hot water heater listed. But each time I clicked on my choice, refrig, the next https link is loading, loading... forever.

At about 9AM the last blue box page said 3% were reserved.

DW told me a couple days ago that a recent sears 15% off appliance sale brought the one we were looking at into roughly the same $ range as the rebate, not including the recycle $ rebate (which I don't know if we could get the required documentation anyway). Maybe I'm better off just waiting for the next sale, which may be after all the rebate stuff is over and the sales people's tongues are hanging out, not a customer in sight. That worked good for us in Oct., weeks after the cash for clunkers car hysteria was all over.

The increasing lead time for some appliances due to mfg. backlog caused by these programs all over the country may end up in some people buying a new appliance for near-list price, then run out of the 60 days from time of rebate reservation to actually get the appliance. Which means the rebate will time out... congrats, you just bought it at list price! Thank you, come again.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
DW told me a couple days ago that a recent sears 15% off appliance sale brought the one we were looking at into roughly the same $ range as the rebate, not including the recycle $ rebate (which I don't know if we could get the required documentation anyway). Maybe I'm better off just waiting for the next sale, which may be after all the rebate stuff is over and the sales people's tongues are hanging out, not a customer in sight. That worked good for us in Oct., weeks after the cash for clunkers car hysteria was all over.

The increasing lead time for some appliances due to mfg. backlog caused by these programs all over the country may end up in some people buying a new appliance for near-list price, then run out of the 60 days from time of rebate reservation to actually get the appliance. Which means the rebate will time out... congrats, you just bought it at list price! Thank you, come again.
Thanks for the tip Telly. I went to the Lowes website and found a front load washer for 25% off. That's about what I would save using the rebate. Now if I can get the recycle rebate for the old one that would be great.