Join Early Retirement Today

Cash for Clunker appliances - Texas style
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Cash for Clunker appliances - Texas style

For those of you living in Texas hoping to get some of that stimulus money to help pay for a new fridge, here's the scoop:

SECO Stimulus | Texas Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program

It seems crazy that the purchase window will be for 10 days only, but at least you can "reserve" a rebate in advance. Note there is a limit of two rebates per household (four counting the recycling rebates).

We need a new chest freezer, and $255 will go a long way towards buying one.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #2

From the link:

Quote:
Consumers will have an opportunity to reserve an appliance rebate by calling a toll-free number or registering online approximately two weeks prior to April 16, 2010. After the reserved mail-in rebates are awarded, any remaining funds will be rebated to consumers on a first-come, first-served basis. Shoppers will be limited to two appliance rebates and two recycling rebates per household.
I wonder if this will run out of money just as quickly as the original Cash For Clunkers did -- the one that was supposed to run for months but ran out of funding in days?

Never underestimate the public's desire for free money.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #3

You are no doubt correct, the funds will go fast. I think around April first I'll start checking the website first thing each morning. I want in the front of the line for some of that "free" money.

And whaddya bet the web site crashes due to the volume?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are all "Energy Star" appliances eligible or is there a list. I'm waiting for CT to get their act together as I need all new appliances. It's probably a good idea to monitor prices before the rebate begins to see if they go up.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Are all "Energy Star" appliances eligible or is there a list.
At this point, all we know is this:
Quote:
The U.S. Department of Energy approved the rebates for consumers who buy eligible Energy Star appliances...
The term "eligible" leaves some wiggle room.

Quote:
It's probably a good idea to monitor prices before the rebate begins to see if they go up.
Yep. But I'm hopeful the manufacturers and retailers will be licking their chops at a chance to sell this stuff and try to lure potential buyers with reasonably good deals.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting this REW...I'll keep my eyeballs on it.

Now, if they could only gimmee some money for replacing my tv...
Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. But I'm hopeful the manufacturers and retailers will be licking their chops at a chance to sell this stuff and try to lure potential buyers with reasonably good deals.
That may well be true -- a lot of Texas retailers have sales during the tax-free weekend for clothing. If they didn't, the weekend would just be an 8% off sale...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I tried to wait for it but my refrigerator was leaking and the fear of a breakdown sent me to Sears . I got a good deal on an energy Star refrigerator and they gave me an extra $100 off that was called cash for clunkers .Where is the rebate for dryers ? That is what I need next .
Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I tried to wait for it but my refrigerator was leaking and the fear of a breakdown sent me to Sears . I got a good deal on an energy Star refrigerator and they gave me an extra $100 off that was called cash for clunkers .Where is the rebate for dryers ? That is what I need next .
Dryer rebate? Clothesline
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Dryer rebate? Clothesline
Thanks Connie but in Florida especially waterfront my clothes would never dry !
Old 12-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are all "Energy Star" appliances eligible or is there a list. I'm waiting for CT to get their act together as I need all new appliances. It's probably a good idea to monitor prices before the rebate begins to see if they go up.

I was waiting too in CT. I just checked this site and I am going to buy when I want. $50 for a fridge or washing machine and it says the appliance must be replaced.

OPM: SEEARP
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My 15 YO water heater may be a candidate for this. Too bad I upgraded my AC a year ago...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
I was waiting too in CT. I just checked this site and I am going to buy when I want. $50 for a fridge or washing machine and it says the appliance must be replaced.

OPM: SEEARP
Typical CT. Most likely half the money is going to someone's cousin to administer the program.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My 15 YO water heater may be a candidate for this. Too bad I upgraded my AC a year ago...
Just make sure you do the math. I'm looking at replacing my water heater with one of the cheapest models they make (but with the features that help give long life, like glass-lined tank). Yep, it's less efficient, but the extra cost for higher eff doesn't seem to have a reasonable payback. 2" versus 1" insulation costs more, but makes a small difference in annual costs.

-ERD50
Old 12-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #15

REW, thanks for the heads-up. It was in the press for a while, then just dropped off without hearing any State of Texas details.

Refrig for sure, maybe the water heater too, need to check when I installed it vs. age warranty. I tend to replace water heaters before they start to leak.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #16

Update

The "Texas Trade Up Rebate Program" has been finalized: Appliance Rebate Flyer

Lucky me, the rebate reservation window opens Monday, April 5 - the week we're on a cruise. No doubt the money will all be spoken for by the time we get back.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in Iowa and our $2.7 million appliance rebate program started March 1st.

The money was gone in 5 hours!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #18

Has anyone done the research to know if there is a prohibition against getting both a state rebate and an IRS home energy efficiency tax credit, assuming the model is eligible? Some types of HVAC units and water heaters appear to be eligible under both programs.

$800 tankless water heater - $300 purchase rebate - $75 recycling rebate - $240 (30%) tax credit = too good to be true?

This EPA site says "there are two separate pots of money you can tap into":

What tax credits and rebates are currently available?

But the instructions for the 2009 Form 5695 have this language:
If you received a subsidy from a public utility for the purchase or installation of an energy conservation product and that subsidy was not included in your gross income, you must reduce your cost for the product by the amount of that subsidy before you compute your credit. This rule also applies if a third party (such as a contractor) receives the subsidy on your behalf.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #19

I did a cash for clunkers deal in August...If I took anymore guvmint money I'm sure I would never get another good nights sleep..
Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Has anyone done the research to know if there is a prohibition against getting both a state rebate and an IRS home energy efficiency tax credit, assuming the model is eligible? Some types of HVAC units and water heaters appear to be eligible under both programs.
Harry, good question. I'm working to get a new heat pump A/C system for my widowed SIL and understood she could double dip based on this FAQ from the Texas program:

Quote:
17. Can the appliance rebate for heat pumps be used in conjunction with the federal tax credit that currently exists for the purchase of this type of appliance?
I had not seen the IRS language on from 5695, but you will note it applies only to subsidies from public utilities, not the state or federal govt.

I think the biggest challenge in taking advantage of these programs will be 1) actually getting a rebate reservation before the $ is gone and 2) getting the appliance/system installed and the paperwork completed by the deadline. Rules say you have only 60 days from the date of reservation to submit all the forms to the state.

And whaddya bet the demand for qualifying appliances and systems for these programs all around the US is depleting retailer's inventories making it difficult to meet the deadlines.