Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I calculate that if investments are held at no or low risk and can be converted to cash with little or no penalty, it is just as good as cash.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We never hold cash. Always fully invested.

For the retail investor, holding cash has been proven to be a losing strategy.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post

That's right. You're better off 100% in small cap stocks over the long run - most of the time, that is.

Not too many retirees will take that approach, however, because once you are living off your investments, it's not only the long term that matters.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

This convinces me of the course I was about to take. 20% now in cash, over half of which I was going to put into CD ladders now that we sold our house and bought something for less than half the price. It represents 5 years of living expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post

Cash has held up pretty good so far this year!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #46
gone traveling

I don't think I am alone here but I am holding a larger position in cash as a bond proxy.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I have about 15% in long-term CDs and no bonds. So my cash position is other people's bond position. I am slowly converting CDs into index funds when they mature.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
is anyone here considering bonds, or bond funds "cash"?
My STB fund @ VG is considered part of my cash reserves. I have held it 20 years or so however I have never had to tap into it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

25% cash, 1/2 in mm paying 1%, 1/2 in 2.25% CDs, 6mo interest penalty for early WD, mms pays for 5-6 yrs expenses.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

About 10 percent is in mmf at Vanguard. We draw from that when necessary. Since DH started SS at FRA we haven't needed to draw from it--before then the cash was about five years' of expenses after pension and distributions, which we do take.

I really like reading people's different choices and their rationales for them--it has really been helpful over the years.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My cash position pays no interest rate. I don't want the hassle to deal with it yet. My bond is G fund. Never have bond mutual funds, unless I buy directly and hold on the the bond, wait for it to mature.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
is anyone here considering bonds, or bond funds "cash"?
I count I-Bonds as cash since the principal is guaranteed but not regular bonds or bond funds.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Had about 15% cash until recently, cut it down to 7% by buying more VG funds on the recent dip. Not yet retired by will be in April 2017!
General plan after FIRE is to keep 2-4 years of planned expenses in cash (with emergency fund etc.), or cash equivalent (I include CD's in this so probably 1-2 in cash and another 1-2 in CD's). It is the amount that makes me comfortable, and the wife more so and she is the primary shareholder in this company!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am actually higher than that at the moment, although it does leave me wanting to get back closer to my target allocation. I liquidated some holdings earlier this month that were using a sector rotation strategy that was underperforming and too costly expense wise, so will gradually redeploy the $s to some lower cost active and index funds as opportunities arise. I like to have a mix of both active and passive type investments. Anyone else holding much cash this year?
Unless you can be right 200% of the time (getting out and back in), you should have re-invested right away.

Quote:
For instance, if an investor stayed fully invested in the S&P 500 from 1995 through 2014, they would've had a 9.85% annualized return.

However, if trading resulted in them missing just the ten best days during that same period, then those annualized returns would collapse to 6.1%.
Cost Of Missing 10 Best Days In S&P 500 - Business Insider
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #55

Now 8.1%, but will be 11.2% soon after dumping some real estate.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

9% cash which represents 4 years of expenses.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Forgot to add that I'm considering Life Insurance cash value to be "cash" also. Two old whole life policies on me and one on DW. Not particularly large death benefits on any of these, but more than enough to handle final expenses. Had planned to cash them in after a few years of ER, as I thought it best to hang on to them for a few years just in case one of keeled over early into ER but we're both still kickin'.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Unless you can be right 200% of the time (getting out and back in), you should have re-invested right away.
Agree, but could not do it instantaneously since I was transferring these sector funds from Wells Fargo to Fidelity, so I cashed out vs transferring in kind.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

About 20%. 6 years living expenses.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I count I-Bonds as cash since the principal is guaranteed but not regular bonds or bond funds.
Weil then I have more cash. But I can't just go out and spend these Ibonds. Takes some time to liquidate and I'm locked in by the high rates they pay (old Ibonds). So I'll have to disagree on assigning them to cash.

We have maybe 1% cash right now. Today the market was bad. Tomorrow who knows. Certainly not El-Erian as the OP mentioned. If there is one "guru" I think is full of bull, it is that guy. He was wrong about a lot of stuff in the past. Just read is book which is bunk. Now that I said that, he's going to be right this time.

P.S. There are only intelligent observations. There are no gurus.