Join Early Retirement Today

CC got hacked...again
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

CC got hacked...again

My old Capital One card which I have had for several years, got hacked tonight. About 8:00 PM I got a text (all activity is sent text to me) from Cap One asking if I made a charge to:

Century 21 #72 for $169.66.

No I did not. I only use this card anymore for one charge per quarter which is DW's medigap premium payment (auto charge). This was a previous business card and I used it quite a bit before I retired. I recall this card getting hacked at least 4 times during my use when I ran my business.

So now I have a dead card and have to re-establish the auto charge.

Googling Century 21 #72 indicates this is a hack from overseas.

BTW, Cap One said 4 charges in all were blocked tonight.

I wonder if this is a result of the Equifax breach?

A few of my retired friends have mentioned their cards getting compromised recently. Fun stuff!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

sorry about that i too had a hack of my Cap One card about 3 yrs ago. Someone pretending to be me called them to get a cash using the card. This was after one of the govt breaches, so the person had enough info to make it seem like she was me apparently. Luckily, the Cap One rep was on the ball enough to notice I had never used my card to get cash ever in decades, so she got suspicious and she called me on my phone of record, and obviously once I ID'ed myself she knew the other person was not me. I had to get a new card. Fortunately there were no auto charges on that account.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tons of fraudulent CC charges before the Equifax breach. They don’t need SS numbers to impersonate credit cards.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:36 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear it. Sounds like a headache.

Just wondering - did you freeze your credit accounts after the Equifax breach? I did, and don't intend to "thaw" them unless I need my credit record available for some reason (like getting a loan.) Otherwise, I intend to keep them permanently frozen.
Denverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:51 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar occurrence here last week. My Capital One card was used for two fraudulent transactions in one day. This card is my main one and I had a dozen or so autopays for it. I received a new card in less than 48 hours but it took probably 3 hours total to update the autopay accounts. I don’t think the Equifax breach had anything to do with this instance but FWIW my credit reports are all frozen. Capital One made it as painless as possible to fix, but it’s sad that such fraud is so common.
boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boog View Post
Similar occurrence here last week. My Capital One card was used for two fraudulent transactions in one day. This card is my main one and I had a dozen or so autopays for it. I received a new card in less than 48 hours but it took probably 3 hours total to update the autopay accounts. I don’t think the Equifax breach had anything to do with this instance but FWIW my credit reports are all frozen. Capital One made it as painless as possible to fix, but it’s sad that such fraud is so common.
I use a separate cc just for autopays. Possibly something to consider.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Chase card was charged for a cruise to Monaco and a hotel night in France.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Any card is susceptible whether it’s used only for certain transactions or all transactions.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My wife has a card that issues one-time numbers for online transactions. We’ll see if that makes any difference.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
CC got hacked...again
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #10

CC got hacked...again

I've lost track of the number of credit card hacks our various cards have experienced over the past 3 years, including at least three times where various credit card issuers have informed us that they are sending us a new card because of a potential hack. This happened just last week-no hack but a new card sent with instructions to authorize the old and change any auto pays. And our credit gas been frozen.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-23-2018, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
My wife has a card that issues one-time numbers for online transactions. We’ll see if that makes any difference.
Capital One actually offers this, though I have never used it.

On a general note, it seems to me that the CC companies have become very proactive in finding fraud, and checking unusual charges.Over the last 5-6 years I think I had two fraud charges, both caught by the CC within hours.

My Capital One card even notifies me when it sees and "excessive" tip at a restaurant. They have all been legit, but it is good to know the CC is checking.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #12

It does not matter whether your use your card in brick & mortar stores, or exclusively online, swiped, chip read, or card not present transaction, if you use a card, it is exposed to being compromised. The majority of this theft occurs at the processors that lie between the merchant and the bank. That said, there is also some risk at the banks, and more at the merchants (Bullseye place had a big one), but those typically do not occur in the hundreds of thousands at a time that we sometimes hear about. The card industry is not very forthcoming with public information about how this stuff works, and that might be a good thing.

Limiting the number of merchants where a card is used might limit your risk indirectly by limiting the number of different processors that handle the transactions for that particular card and that set of merchants, but most of this is not seen by the cardholder.

There seems to be this false belief that once a transaction is "in the system" the data is invisible. In fact, most of the risk is just beginning when the data enters the system.

A credit freeze can prevent someone from opening new credit in your name, but it cannot prevent someone from using your existing card data for a fraudulent transaction.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I do this and have for a few years with BAC ShopSafe. No problems except with recurring payment where the date expired. (User can set date of expiration and total credit limit for the 'new' card). SIL who works in a segment of the CC fraud business, suggests it adds another complication for the bad guys but not foolproof.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

When I buy gas in town...Citi bank phones, text and emails me warning of fraud.....This has happened on four occasions. I called them each time and I believe they have it stopped .

It's very disturbing to drive out of the gas station and phone call, text and email go off...urgent message!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Capital One has a new service called ENO that allows for creating account numbers that can be used at just one merchant. I use it to pay my Ooma bill. The number can only be used with Ooma so if some bad guy gets it, it's not much good unless he wants to pay my Ooma bill. If my actual CC number is compromised, the new CC number will be linked to the virtual numbers, so I don't have to change it on every site I use the card.

The only downside is that my Cap One card only pays 1.5% cash back compared to 2% on other cards. I figure that costs me about $20 a year, and view it as insurance and a convenience fee if a problem happens.

Don't even bring up the Equifax fiasco. They make Facebook look like personal privacy champs, IMHO.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That was a separate card for the one and only transaction I use it for (autopay).

Plus, credit has been frozen with the agencies for several years, but apparently that is not effective for CC fraud.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
When I buy gas in town...Citi bank phones, text and emails me warning of fraud.....This has happened on four occasions. I called them each time and I believe they have it stopped .

It's very disturbing to drive out of the gas station and phone call, text and email go off...urgent message!!!
It appears that the gas stations are a favorite for fraud these days. I do actually pull on the credit card reader to check for attachments, plus feel underneath and look for cameras.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #18

My CCs were hacked numerous times but I don't worry much about it because there's nothing I can do about it. As long as you plan to use a CC you should accept this fact. I don't use my CC for auto pay so the bank absorbs the charges and issues me a new card.

My credit reports have been frozen going on 8 years now with the three major bureaus and that is the best protection against identity theft.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It appears that the gas stations are a favorite for fraud these days. I do actually pull on the credit card reader to check for attachments, plus feel underneath and look for cameras.
I generally now use the Exxon Speedpass+ app, where at least the card never interacts with the pump. Plus they've now got a promotion going for 10 cents a gallon off if you use the app.

I also use Google Pay via my phone wherever I can, and I think it generates a random card number.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote