Join Early Retirement Today

CD advice
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

CD advice

Until recently, there were a bunch of 5 year new CD offerings at Vanguard for 3.56%. While that met my needs, I held off on buying these thinking that rates were going to hit 4% sometime this year due to the anticipation of the Fed raising rates. And I really wanted 4%. Now it appears that there are no 5 year offerings at all on Vanguard. No 2 or 3 year either. I did not expect all the CD offerings to disappear. There are some on Fidelity but only 3%.

My plan was to become more tax efficient by selling stock in my IRA account and buying brokered CDs with the proceeds and then using cash in my taxable account (that were in CDs) to buy stock. Essentially swapping my CD/stock allocations between taxable/IRA.

My options now include:
(a) waiting to see if 5 year offerings reappear at a reasonable rate and in the mean time be happy with the 2.31% that the money is earning in the VMFXX settlement fund.
(b) there is a local credit union that is offering 3.5% 5 year CD. If I choose this option then I am thinking of not hassling with making it an IRA account. And would then stick with holding CDs in my taxable account. The credit union did not get stellar reviews for customer service but it is insured by NCUA and they have a couple brick and mortar branches nearby.

I know no one has a crystal ball … but, what do you think CD rates are going to do over the next year? Based on the recent purchase of all the available Vanguard CDs and rates seemingly going down and not up, I am leaning towards option b.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Earl
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are all in the same situation and wondering what to expect in the future regarding rates. Who knows? What I would do in your situation is go with the best 5 year CD rate you can find that has a maximum early termination penalty of 6 months interest. That way if rates really go up a lot you can pay the fee and reinvest. The difference between 3.5% and 4% in actual dollars is not really that much.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We are all in the same situation and wondering what to expect in the future regarding rates. Who knows? What I would do in your situation is go with the best 5 year CD rate you can find that has a maximum early termination penalty of 6 months interest. That way if rates really go up a lot you can pay the fee and reinvest. The difference between 3.5% and 4% in actual dollars is not really that much.
+1.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I am an individual bond buyer, not CD's, but I learned from a few folks on here to always buy a few issues maybe a little further out than you think. I took a shot at some bonds in the 10 year range earlier last year and now I am glad I did. We may not see those higher rates for awhile.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

I agree with your advice and is what I have done in the past. Problem is that I cannot find 6 month early termination offerings on 3+% rates anymore. The one I found at 3.5% has a 2.5 year termination penalty - so, I would go into that knowing I would not early terminate. But I still think it may make sense to get a bird in the hand at 3.5%. Back in the Penfed 3.0% days we would have loved 3.5%. Maybe I am just getting greedy.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I agree with your advice and is what I have done in the past. Problem is that I cannot find 6 month early termination offerings on 3+% rates anymore. The one I found at 3.5% has a 2.5 year termination penalty - so, I would go into that knowing I would not early terminate. But I still think it may make sense to get a bird in the hand at 3.5%. Back in the Penfed 3.0% days we would have loved 3.5%. Maybe I am just getting greedy.
Have a look at www.depositaccounts.com. The blog is particularly helpful in highlighting attractive options.

- George Orwell

Old 01-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Have a look at www.depositaccounts.com. The blog is particularly helpful in highlighting attractive options.
OK, thanks for the link.

After perusing the options, I decided to open CDs with Penfed. Ironically, I just transferred money out of Penfed into Vangaurd. But now that good rates are no longer available there, I am going to transfer back to Penfed.

While the early withdrawal penalty is not the best, at least it is a known bank that I have been doing business with the past 5 years. Now I need to wait several days for the money to transfer back and hope the rates stay the same.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

Lots of us in the same boat it seems.
Been a busy couple months / last few weeks & days over here.
Roth IRA CD's /IRA CD's / cash CD's etc.
I also opened a PenFed account today. With a 5 yr in mind.
Was looking for / expecting a 4% 5 yr. as well in 2019.
Watching the 10 yr, 30 day etc.. seemed to rattle everyone though.
Could still hit 4%. Just not as sure as I would like to be.........
So I opened up a couple 2.7% 1 yr @ Ch Sch, & 2.75% at Ally,
40 month 3.75% IRA at Navy Fed. / 150k max.
Bumped my one time bump 5 yr. CD's at Mountain America to 3.51% with 3 yrs to go.
Just need a new 5 yr. And PenFed seems a good way to go.
Just so you know / your not alone on this. lol lol
Got my average over 3%. 1st time in a long time.......
* added* brokered CD's are popping up again today. Not top rates, but well off late last weeks bottom / sold out status...
Old 01-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Note that US Senate FCU has extremely easy membership requirements and a 3.69% 5 year CD rate. Don't know what the early withdrawal penalty is.

- George Orwell

Old 01-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Note that US Senate FCU has extremely easy membership requirements and a 3.69% 5 year CD rate. Don't know what the early withdrawal penalty is.
Yeah, I saw US Senate FCU had the best rate but I looked at the negative reviews and comments online. While 3.69% is better than 3.5%, Penfed is a known entity to me and I have no real complaints.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Yeah, I saw US Senate FCU had the best rate but I looked at the negative reviews and comments online. While 3.69% is better than 3.5%, Penfed is a known entity to me and I have no real complaints.
I was on the Vanguard website today around 3 PM and saw a 5 year new CD at 3.4 %, I think. But they are hiding the early termination info somewhere.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #12

I went with the Ally 14-mo CD's at 2.85% with about 1/2 my CD cash and I plan to leave the rest in my Vanguard MM and keep an eye out for a good deal or two.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Being one of the few here who believe in IBonds, they have worked out for us. Bought in the early 2000's, they have served us well, because of the inflation (CPI) factor. It depends on how the monies are to be used. For us, it was safety at a time when we weren't sure. Our annualized return has been 5.1, while the S&P annualized return for the same period was 4.1.

The current IBond rate is 2.83%, and is adjusted biannually for inflation. We looked at this as a long term safe haven.

At the time we bought, each person could buy $30K/yr in bonds. today that is limited to $10K/yr.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #14

"Yeah, I saw US Senate FCU had the best rate but I looked at the negative reviews and comments online."

I did the same a while back......... No fun moving IRA's around. Even less fun with an institution with questionable customer service.......
Old 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Understood. I guess I just can't stomach the draconian early withdrawal language.

Navy Fed has just started offering a 17 month 3.25% CD that allows additional deposits. Believe it is limited to 50k, but may be attractive to those who want a shorter maturity. Navy is a lot more persnickety about membership.

BTW, Pen Fed acquired an antique credit union charter that allows them to offer membership freely to anyone. No idea what this means for rates, but it will be interesting to watch.

- George Orwell

Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I am an individual bond buyer, not CD's, but I learned from a few folks on here to always buy a few issues maybe a little further out than you think. I took a shot at some bonds in the 10 year range earlier last year and now I am glad I did. We may not see those higher rates for awhile.
Exactly!
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #17

you might want to look at columbia cu. they have a 2.5 yr cd at 3.6%. easy to join, $5 one time fee like penfed. filled out the paperwork on sat. and they notified me today that it was all done.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
you might want to look at columbia cu. they have a 2.5 yr cd at 3.6%. easy to join, $5 one time fee like penfed. filled out the paperwork on sat. and they notified me today that it was all done.
hmmm … their website says:
Eligibility
  • Live or work in Washington State the Oregon community of Clackamas, Marion, Multnomah or Washington Counties.
  • Have a family member who lives or works in Washington State the Oregon community of Clackamas, Marion, Multnomah or Washington Counties.
  • Businesses who have a company located in or have more than half of its owners or employees live or work in Washington State, or the Oregon community of Clackamas, Marion, Multnomah or Washington Counties.
So, I do not think anyone can join.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I was on the Vanguard website today around 3 PM and saw a 5 year new CD at 3.4 %, I think. But they are hiding the early termination info somewhere.
Thanks! Funny how these change so often. I saw new issue at 3.3% but I just bought a CD on Vanguard secondary market at 3.423%. Thanks so much.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, thanks for the link.

After perusing the options, I decided to open CDs with Penfed. Ironically, I just transferred money out of Penfed into Vangaurd. But now that good rates are no longer available there, I am going to transfer back to Penfed.

While the early withdrawal penalty is not the best, at least it is a known bank that I have been doing business with the past 5 years. Now I need to wait several days for the money to transfer back and hope the rates stay the same.
Vanguard is showing 3.3% 5 year brokered CDs from Goldman Sachs Bank right now.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote