Join Early Retirement Today

CD Questions
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CD Questions

We have several CD's, which I like to keep distributed among a mix of banks and credit unions even though we are under the FDIC/NCUA limits.

Generically, is there any safety difference between a bank and a CU, presuming the financial strength data is similar for both?

If things got really bad in the future, any difference between the safety offered by FDIC and NCUA?

Penfed usually offers nice rates during January, is that typical of many institutions or is it random? If a particular month is better, it would be nice to renew/transfer the CD's during that month.

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Nobody !!!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know for a fact, but the language backing the NCUA seems to be the same as the FDIC. FDIC is a lot bigger so it presumably has more resource to use before having to ask Uncle Sam for help, but it also has more banks with bigger problems e.g. Citigroup.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wouldn't know how to analyze this difference myself but everything I've read suggests that they're very similar. Here's some homework if you're ambitious......unfortunately I didn't recognize any of the sources.
fdic vs ncua - Google Search
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You might have better luck with those questions over at Bogleheads.org.

Or you might get 100+ responses that don't really answer your question.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

some discussion here: Bogleheads :: View topic - Treasuries vs. CDs: Differences, similarities, and portfolio

not w/o some controversy tho.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to both of you for the links. I came away with my previous feelings unchanged- the insurance makes both places very safe, but nothing is perfect.

Historically, it seems that CU's don't fail as often; but if things really went down the drain, the psychology of things might cause the government to be more supportive of banks that CU's. Just a guess that I never want answered, I've got CD's at 3 CU's and one bank.

Finally, is there any tendency for banks or CU's to offer their best CD rates in January or any other month? I know Pedfed is a January favorite, but I haven't tried to build a history on anyone else.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

How do you know Penfed has best rates in January? Any links?

I would have thought overall changes in CD rates make monthly changes more of a noise but if there is some tendency to raise rates around certain times, I'd love to know this too.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Thanks to both of you for the links. I came away with my previous feelings unchanged- the insurance makes both places very safe, but nothing is perfect.

Historically, it seems that CU's don't fail as often; but if things really went down the drain, the psychology of things might cause the government to be more supportive of banks that CU's. Just a guess that I never want answered, I've got CD's at 3 CU's and one bank.

Finally, is there any tendency for banks or CU's to offer their best CD rates in January or any other month? I know Pedfed is a January favorite, but I haven't tried to build a history on anyone else.
Credit unions often will take chances on customers bigger banks won't. Credit unions will match CD rates from others, I can't find many if any banks to do that..........

My Dad's definition of a bank?: "Someone who won't give you money when you REALLY need it, but is willing to give you all the money you want once you don't really need to borrow money anymore".........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
How do you know Penfed has best rates in January? Any links?

I would have thought overall changes in CD rates make monthly changes more of a noise but if there is some tendency to raise rates around certain times, I'd love to know this too.
I haven't kept any records, but my memory is that Penfed seems to offer CD "Specials" around January. Other members have commented the same, but I don't know if they have kept records either.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Typically, CU's, and banks for that matter, will offer better rates if they are in need of deposits or are on a membership drive.

Is your credit union state or federal chartered? Here is some light reading...

National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)

State Credit Union Facts & Figures
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We have CD's at three credit unions, all federally charted. I look up the NCUA financial data and Bauer ratings on any CU under consideration. Similar procedure for banks.

I insist on the federal inurance, but I don't depend on it.