Join Early Retirement Today

CD Rates / Terms / penalties
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CD Rates / Terms / penalties

I'm looking to park some cash that I might need in the next 2 yrs. Won't need it for sure for at least 18 months, but maybe after that.

I was looking at Ally CD rates. 1yr rate is 1.19, but 5yr rate is 2.36. All their CDs have a 60 day interest penalty if redeemed prior to maturity.

My question is why wouldn't I take out a 5yr and pay the penalty if I need the monies before maturity. 60 days interest on the 5 yr CD looks like about .39 % (2.36 / 6).

That indicates that if I redeemed the CD after the first 12mos, I'd still earn 1.97% (2.36 - .39) which is significantly better than the current 1yr rate.

What am I missing here??

Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You are missing nothing. I reasoned the samething about a year ago and got a rate of 2.99% on the 5 year.

As an aside, I've been very pleased with the customer service at Ally.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is also my understanding of how it works and I confirmed it with an Ally rep on the phone (which of course you should also do before investing based on internet rumors). I don't understand why this isn't taking a great deal of CD money from other banks with higher penalties.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

hmmmmm.... very good point. I shall look into this myself. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

I have a CD expiring soon. I like your idea.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
I have a CD expiring soon. I like your idea.
So do I. Anyone know of anything wrong w/ the pay the 2 months interest fee for early withdrawal? Sounds pretty straightforward and a no-brainer. Beats short term CD rates and what MMA are providing.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

check out ibonds, currently paying 4.6%
you can buy up to 10k per SS number.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #8

where do I look for the ibonds?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
where do I look for the ibonds?
It's a savings bond by Treasury Dept. Individual - I Savings Bonds Rates & Terms
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Just remember the 'Fixed Rate' on those bonds is zero. That 4.6% reflects an annualized six month inflation factor of 2.3%, which will likely be reset lower this October. Don't expect to clip 4.6% annually unless that is the rate of inflation. 5-yr TIPS break-evens are 2.09%, which is what you should expect to earn on these bonds.

Having said that, ibonds are a good deal compared to short-term TIPS, treasuries and even corporates that all have negative real yields right now.
Although the purchase limit makes them practically worthless as a part of any kind of real accumulation strategy.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
So do I. Anyone know of anything wrong w/ the pay the 2 months interest fee for early withdrawal? Sounds pretty straightforward and a no-brainer. Beats short term CD rates and what MMA are providing.
I can see one hole in the idea. If you read the fine print of most CDs, you will see that banks typically reserve the right to deny early withdrawal requests. I don't imagine that happens much, but it would not be a total shock to hear that it started to happen if tons of depositors started asking to redeem early.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I can see one hole in the idea. If you read the fine print of most CDs, you will see that banks typically reserve the right to deny early withdrawal requests. I don't imagine that happens much, but it would not be a total shock to hear that it started to happen if tons of depositors started asking to redeem early.
That's exactly what I read in the USAA website today. I sent them a message to investigate - I wonder how often they've denied early withdrawals.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
That's exactly what I read in the USAA website today. I sent them a message to investigate - I wonder how often they've denied early withdrawals.

FWIW, I decided that for a certain portion of my fixed income exposure I am happy to sit in a ladder of CDs and while I choose providers that don't beat me up with big early withdrawal fees it would take a big rate move to make me really do anything. So I have a ladder (missing a few rungs) that goes from Jan. 2014 through Jan. 2021. I will fill in the missing rungs and then just roll over CDs as they come due.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Just as an FYI....

I have worked at banks and in fact one that failed twice... they do not deny smaller deposits taking their money out even if a penalty... you have to be a BIG depositor to have this fine print affect you... I would say many millions of dollars...

Cash flow in and out of banks is a lot more than you might realize... but the average is pretty consistent... (your money goes out, but mine goes in)....
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
If I bond fixed rate is 0.0% now and the inflationary rate as of May 1st is 2.3% for the next 6 months, then adjusted up or down on Nov. 1st how do you arrive at the 4.6%? Even if on Nov 1 the inflationary rate is pegged again at 2.3% would that not be considered paying 2.3% for the 12 month period? What am I missing?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

here is how the treasury calculates the 4.6 %
Individual - I Savings Bonds Rates & Terms
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
If I bond fixed rate is 0.0% now and the inflationary rate as of May 1st is 2.3% for the next 6 months, then adjusted up or down on Nov. 1st how do you arrive at the 4.6%? Even if on Nov 1 the inflationary rate is pegged again at 2.3% would that not be considered paying 2.3% for the 12 month period? What am I missing?
You get 2.3% for 6 months. Hence, 12 months = 4.6%. It's not 2.3% for 12 months.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't forget that the penalty (dollar amount) is tax deductible. Right off the top, not a deduction.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
You get 2.3% for 6 months. Hence, 12 months = 4.6%. It's not 2.3% for 12 months.
Thanks for the explanation, I learned something new today!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to add to the conversation, USAA has the following penalties for early withdrawal. Seems like they've wised up to customers using their top rate and withdrawing early (unlike ALLY).

Thank you for your interest in establishing a CD with USAA, and the early withdrawal penalties. The Bank's penalty for early withdrawal is based on the term length of your CD, with the following applicable ranges:
  • CD terms of more than 30 days up to 1 year - Penalty is equal to 90 days of interest
  • CD terms of more than 1 year but less than 7 years - Penalty is equal to 180 days of interest
  • CD terms of 7 years or more - Penalty is equal to 365 days of interest