Join Early Retirement Today

CDs at Countrywide
Old 11-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CDs at Countrywide

Warning: I've had my fill of Countrywide. Although they offer great CD rates, when it's time to collect your money after a CD matures, they won't give you the money immediately; they make you wait at least a week till they send the check.
Of course, waiting for the money means you can't earn on it, effectively lowering the real interest rate, and it means they have an extra week to earn for themselves.
I see no reason why they can't cut a check upon maturity and hand it over immediately. My CU puts monies right back into my account at maturity; I don't have to show up to direct them to do something.
Anyone else feel the same way?
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: CDs at Countrywide
Old 11-16-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, Countrywide has had issues in the past year or so............

Maybe they think you'll "forget", and then they can roll you into a much lower yielding CD after 10 days.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

My mortgage was sold to them, and I have not been happy with their customer service. Plus they call me all the time trying to sell me a HELOC and other products.....
cmy1176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

when you purchase a CD from them, they Fed-Ex immediately.
But when it matures they mail you your money snail-mail.
I suppose the fine print in the contract says that you will get your money back a week or so later, but they don't tell you that when you buy at their office.
And who reads the fine print completely at the office, they give it to you after the transaction has been completed and most will take it home to read later.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking float is the reason..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a problem at my CU with a HELOC check on an out of state bank (biggest bank here but headquarters is in Ohio), the CU staff agreed that the check was good, but couldn't credit my account for 10 working days/two weeks. Now there is some float.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Funny you should post this now as i am currently having issues with them too.

My CD with them matured two weeks ago. I refused to pay over $10 for an electronic bank transfer and so agreed to wait for a snail mail check. It STILL has not arrived. After I called them to say that it hadn't turned up, they sent me a replacement check affadavit form. Now I have to get this notified at a bank before I can return it to them and have them re-issue the check. Funny though -- when I called to say the check had not turned up in the mail, the guy on the phone didn't seem at all surprised (and the amount is over $80k!). Maybe it's just paranoia, but I began to wonder if this was a delaying tactic and that they had never sent it to me in the first place.

theronware

theronware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got a Countrywide CD that's maturing tomorrow (Nov 17). I sent in my request last month to receive a check. Let's see what happens.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #9

I thought the going in was bad losing 1 nights' interest on a live bank check made out to me and possibly more if the Fedex shipment got lost so I resolved only to deposit personal checks from then on. That little sting got me concerned about the coming out process so I asked the CSR about that. They suggested that 6-8 wks before maturity, you open a money market account. That would allow enough time to get the checks.
You needed something like $1500 min balance but the yield was actually fairly decent at the time. Then you could move the CD proceeds to money market, write a personal check to empty the account immediately, and not have to endure the uncertainty of when the CD proceeds would get to you. Have not done it yet because CD not yet mature but sounded good at the time.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

i like buying my cd's thru fidelity, they day they mature they are put in my core account.

i may give up a fraction compared to the highest yiekding but noooo headaches and i can even sell before maturity with no penalty
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

No penalty?

What are the requirements for you to get this kind of service?

I know Fidelity is good & I've been with them for years with my Optional Retirement Plan and a Tax Sheltered Annuity, but I have always had to pay them for moving in and out of funds. Your news about CDs is almost to good to be true.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

just have a fidelity account and you can buy cd's. of course there may be a slight adjustment on the price you get if you sell early but thats only if rates changed. you can even get a little more if rates dropped. there is no penalty

the convience of doing it thru my brokerage account is worthwhile.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
No penalty?

What are the requirements for you to get this kind of service?

I know Fidelity is good & I've been with them for years with my Optional Retirement Plan and a Tax Sheltered Annuity, but I have always had to pay them for moving in and out of funds. Your news about CDs is almost to good to be true.

Professor
fidelity funds are no load so those fees are levied probley by the administrator of your plan.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I've got a Countrywide CD that's maturing tomorrow (Nov 17). I sent in my request last month to receive a check. Let's see what happens.
In my mail today (Nov 20) is the check from Countrywide.

No Countrywide complaints from me.