Join Early Retirement Today

CDs, interest rates what's your advice
Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CDs, interest rates what's your advice

Hi, we are in the process of selling some real estate; we want to put about 100G into a CD. Should we wait until the interest rates go up? What good CDs have you seen lately? Appreciate any advice!

Beachgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is your plan or time frame that you think you may need the money?

RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Depending on your time frame, I'd be inclined to ladder it. Maybe buy a $10k or $25k CD every 3-6 months and keep the rest at Ally or something similar, as you move it into your CD ladder. JMHO.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
What is your plan or time frame that you think you may need the money?
No specific time frame.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Depending on your time frame, I'd be inclined to ladder it. Maybe buy a $10k or $25k CD every 3-6 months and keep the rest at Ally or something similar, as you move it into your CD ladder. JMHO.
great idea thank you
Old 08-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

I'm moving some money to the Freedom Credit Union while they have their 30 month 3.56% promotion. If you need the money before 30 months you can terminate early with only a six month penalty. There is no specific end date on the promotion so it could go away any time.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I'm moving some money to the Freedom Credit Union while they have their 30 month 3.56% promotion. If you need the money before 30 months you can terminate early with only a six month penalty. There is no specific end date on the promotion so it could go away any time.
i think that may be too long but nice promotion thanks for sharing
Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

Short term treasuries have higher interest rates than CD's right now and are exempt from state income tax. You can buy them at the larger brokerages for no fee. You can also buy CD's. In many cases, the yields are higher than at the offering institution. Fidelity has tools that are easy to use.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #9

I laddered ~$80K last year to get us from 60-62. Almost seemed like an exercise in futility with such low rates. However, because Joss has been favorable, we're reinvesting a fair amount of it. The rising interest rates are somewhat more compelling.

I hate lazy money - needs to work hard. Salt mine - cane field hard. Just short of dying each day.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

If your interested in seeing what CD rates are being offered try www.depositaccounts.com.
shooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are in a rising rate environment and it is extremely difficult to guess where things will level out. At this point I would buy shorter term stuff. Personally, I have gotten lazy and bought a bunch of treasury floating rate notes. These are two year maturity treasuries with a coupon that is the average of 90 day t bills over the past quarter. Basically zero risk, rising rates add to the return, state tax free. The only real issue is that short term rates are still behind CPI.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote