Join Early Retirement Today

CDs: what to do?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

CDs: what to do?

Is anyone holding off on buying CDs until the climbing rates seem to take a breather? I notice now my ING MM is paying 2.8% and the CDs are yielding 3.4%. About 2 months ago I bought a couple thousand worth of their CDs and am getting 2.75 on them Whats everyone doing in respect to CD rates?
Berkshire_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: CDs: what to do?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #2

Dollar/Rate cost average into a ladder.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I should have been more specific. I'm talking about only $5k in CDs. The ladder's a good idea but is it economical for small amounts like what I'm looking to do?
Berkshire_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is a very simple site that has good CD rate info, if you are interested. I check it every week or so just for kicks. It updates almost every day.

http://www.fisn.com/rates.htm
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are not interested in laddering (which makes sense for a small amount), I would just find the highest rate you can on a 5 year CD that has a penalty for early W/D of 6 months interest or less. If rates flop around, you leave it there. If rates spike, you pull the money and reinvest.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Some places also offer intermediate term "jump up" certificates, like DCU. You buy (i think) a 15 or 27 month cert with a rate in the ~3-3.5% range, and once during the term of the cert you can jump the interest rate to current.

I think the 4-5 year with a six month forfeiture clause will still get you a better rate if you keep it for at least 3 years.

I'm buying ~1 year cd's right now and waiting. I suspect we'll see a happier rate a lot sooner than 2 years from now.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is a very simple site that has good CD rate info, if you are interested. I check it every week or so just for kicks. It updates almost every day.

http://www.fisn.com/rates.htm

Have you ever used them?

SWR
Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Dollar/Rate cost average into a ladder.
Like to learn more about this. Would you have a link handy or have time to offer an explanation? thanks
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have CD's and am not retired, but for my shorter term investments I've purchased I-bonds in smaller amounts but have other money in money market accounts and am holding off on longer term fixed rate investments til things settle down a bit. I've found some local banks that are paying a bit over 3% for money markets.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

[www.fisn.com]

Have you ever used them?

SWR
I personally have not used them, but know someone that has, and they are pleased with them. They have several links on their page to 'verify' their company's history, so they are definitely a legit company...and the rates they offer (FDIC-insured CDs) are fairly good, although keep a careful watch on the terms of the callable/step-up CDs.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Have you ever used them?

SWR
I use them all the time, but just to check rates...never bought from them (to be honest I didn't even know you could) I just like the quick and dirty list of the best performing CD rates in the country all on one page.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote