Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
I'm actually in the market right now and debating getting an Android vs. the iPhone 4.
I'm holding out until I can have one applied with indelible ink to the thumb & forefinger of my left hand. With a speaker and a web browser.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm holding out until I can have one applied with indelible ink to the thumb & forefinger of my left hand. With a speaker and a web browser.
You will be pleased to know the guys over at CMU are already on it:

Tech from Plextronics Could Replace Lightbulbs,
"How will OLEDs containing Plextronics’s ink enable McCullough’s grand vision? In two to three years, manufacturers will be able to combine an extremely thin layer of Plextronics’s ink with another film of polymer to form a flat, thin “sandwich” for small displays (smartphones, for example), says Hannah."

Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
You will be pleased to know the guys over at CMU are already on it:
Good to know! Wallpaper TVs and computer monitors.

When we toured there a few years ago, their students were proud of being the nation's first wireless campus. I was more impressed by the washing machines & dryers that texted you when your laundry was finished.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #64

I've had a Tracfone for several years, and it's worked out fine! I purchase a "1 year / 400 minutes" each year for around $100, and have the "Double Minutes for the Life", plus they usually send me some sort of bonus minute offer to add to that. So I end up with another year of service and somewhere around 850-1000 more minutes. I originally bought the Tracfone (a Motorola V series) at SprawlMart for $18. I bought my Mom one about a year after I got mine, and buy her the same service/minutes package as mine. I think I paid $25 for her Motorola V series at that time.

I use mine all of the time...it's my primary phone that all of my friends and family have the number for. I've used it all over the U.S. with no issues or problems.

My Mom only uses her phone to call me if she's out and about, and needs me to meet her somewhere or give her a ride. It works out great for when she goes on day trips on the bus, or when I drop her off somewhere to go shopping. She can do her thing, and I can do my thing, and then she can call when she's ready for me to pick her up.

I also have an AT&T iPhone...my "toy"...that I now use in place of my computer most of the time. It's especially great for our vacations! I've got apps for all of the hotel chains where I prefer to stay and that I collect points for. Also have "The Next Exit" and "iExit" for finding eateries and such when we're on the road, and "Pilot Travel Centers" and "Rest Area" for finding those facilities along the way. "GasBuddy" for locating gas stations with the lowest prices. I also have my pass-time apps like Facebook, Ancestry, Kindle, eBay, a few card games and Mahjong, a few newspapers and radio stations (including my fave, 650 WSM-AM Nashville). All of those (and many more) plus my iPod, camera, email, calendar, and.....it's a phone too!

In fact, my brother from Massachusetts called me this afternoon. He's in one of Chicago's northwest 'burbs this week for some training for his job, and wanted us to come up for dinner and to visit. So I tapped the app on the iPhone for the hotel chain he's staying at, logged in, and made our reservation....all for the comfort of my chair on the patio.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also a Tracfone user---have the phone that offers lifetime double minutes, use a promo code that adds additional minutes when I add airtime, and a regional big box store occasionally has a $20 off a $100 purchase coupon so I am able to purchase one year activation and 1000 minutes for $80. Really--these are more minutes than I need since I have land line and only use the cell when I am away from home.

However, I really appreciate having a cell. Last fall I had a fender bender and was able to use the cell phone to call 911, AAA, and DH (to come pick me up since the car was not drivealbe)---priceless.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I've had a Tracfone for several years, and it's worked out fine! I purchase a "1 year / 400 minutes" each year for around $100, and have the "Double Minutes for the Life", plus they usually send me some sort of bonus minute offer to add to that. So I end up with another year of service and somewhere around 850-1000 more minutes. I originally bought the Tracfone (a Motorola V series) at SprawlMart for $18. I bought my Mom one about a year after I got mine, and buy her the same service/minutes package as mine. I think I paid $25 for her Motorola V series at that time.

I use mine all of the time...it's my primary phone that all of my friends and family have the number for. I've used it all over the U.S. with no issues or problems.

My Mom only uses her phone to call me if she's out and about, and needs me to meet her somewhere or give her a ride. It works out great for when she goes on day trips on the bus, or when I drop her off somewhere to go shopping. She can do her thing, and I can do my thing, and then she can call when she's ready for me to pick her up.

I also have an AT&T iPhone...my "toy"...that I now use in place of my computer most of the time. It's especially great for our vacations! I've got apps for all of the hotel chains where I prefer to stay and that I collect points for. Also have "The Next Exit" and "iExit" for finding eateries and such when we're on the road, and "Pilot Travel Centers" and "Rest Area" for finding those facilities along the way. "GasBuddy" for locating gas stations with the lowest prices. I also have my pass-time apps like Facebook, Ancestry, Kindle, eBay, a few card games and Mahjong, a few newspapers and radio stations (including my fave, 650 WSM-AM Nashville). All of those (and many more) plus my iPod, camera, email, calendar, and.....it's a phone too!

In fact, my brother from Massachusetts called me this afternoon. He's in one of Chicago's northwest 'burbs this week for some training for his job, and wanted us to come up for dinner and to visit. So I tapped the app on the iPhone for the hotel chain he's staying at, logged in, and made our reservation....all for the comfort of my chair on the patio.
Goonie,

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you use the Tracphone for your cell phone and the iPhone for your portable computer? Do you carry both units with you when you are out and about? Are they ported to the same number (like Google Voice, formerly Grand Central)?

omni
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550

Goonie,

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you use the Tracphone for your cell phone and the iPhone for your portable computer? Do you carry both units with you when you are out and about? Are they ported to the same number (like Google Voice, formerly Grand Central)?

omni
Yep, I use the Tracfone for almost all of my phone calling...inbound and outbound. And I use the iPhone almost exclusively as a computer substitute....as well as point & shoot camera and iPod.

I normally carry both of them with me. The Tracfone is pretty small and lightweight and fits in any pocket. And the iPhone is only slightly larger and, it too, fits in any pocket. They have different phone numbers, which makes it handy when I'm jawing on one phone and need to call someone during that call...like when coordinating a lunch or dinner get together with several friends.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie

Yep, I use the Tracfone for almost all of my phone calling...inbound and outbound. And I use the iPhone almost exclusively as a computer substitute....as well as point & shoot camera and iPod.

I normally carry both of them with me. The Tracfone is pretty small and lightweight and fits in any pocket. And the iPhone is only slightly larger and, it too, fits in any pocket. They have different phone numbers, which makes it handy when I'm jawing on one phone and need to call someone during that call...like when coordinating a lunch or dinner get together with several friends.
I don't understand why ur not using the iPhone for calling.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm actually in the market right now and debating getting an Android vs. the iPhone 4.
You'll, of course, want to play with both extensively, but my two farthings are that I'd much prefer the iPhone. I own an LG Android-based phone on a Virgin monthly plan and nothing about is as slick as the iPods and iPhones I've used (I've written some apps for a company for the iPhone/Pad).

Of course, apps matter too so that might weigh in your decision one way or another.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #70

Thanks Webzter.

A part of me thinks "go with the iPhone"; any company which has sold tens of millions of a particular product must know what they're doing right?! Another part of me likes the open-ness and customizability (is that even a word?) of an Android. I compared the iPhone 4 vs the Nexus S. While I like the look of the Nexus S I couldn't get over the fact that the Nexus S had a poorer camera and no HD video (I take a lot of pics and videos of the kids so I'd prefer a decent camera). However, Apple has no Flash, is not customizable, etc.

I'll probably wait until the iPhone 5 comes out, which, according to the rumours that I've heard, won't be until next summer to decide what to do.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Webzter.

A part of me thinks "go with the iPhone"; any company which has sold tens of millions of a particular product must know what they're doing right?! Another part of me likes the open-ness and customizability (is that even a word?) of an Android. I compared the iPhone 4 vs the Nexus S. While I like the look of the Nexus S I couldn't get over the fact that the Nexus S had a poorer camera and no HD video (I take a lot of pics and videos of the kids so I'd prefer a decent camera). However, Apple has no Flash, is not customizable, etc.

I'll probably wait until the iPhone 5 comes out, which, according to the rumours that I've heard, won't be until next summer to decide what to do.
I heard the iPhone 5 is being introduced at a techie show in June of this year, but the salesclerk at Verizon said she was sure Verizon wouldn't get it until at least after September.

My impressions after having the iPhone for a week or so, are several.

First, you are expected to synch through iTunes to set it up, and in registering there you must provide what seems to me (a privacy freak) to be a lot of personal information, credit card (even if all you want are free apps), address, phone number, and so on. My previous non-smart Motorola phone didn't require any information given to Motorola prior to use. But that's OK - - I'll be an obedient 21st century citizen, and roll over and submit to whatever Apple wants of me. I can deal with it. But after hearing about this aspect Frank decided he probably won't get one because he would be livid.

Another surprise was that despite being on the same Verizon network as my Motorola, my iPhone doesn't work as well as a phone - - my voice goes in and out (although his sounds fine to me), and it dropped a call which my Motorola phone never did in the several years while I owned it. So it really isn't that great as a phone, per se. It's fun as a portable gadget/computer/thingie, though.

It absolutely MUST be charged every single day, whereas my Motorola flip phone went for 1-2 weeks between charges.

It seems quite fragile but that can be cured - - I got an Otterbox Defender case for it after seeing the u-tube video of it being dropped 23 floors in one and surviving.

Even though it probably has more apps than anything, I have only found a few that I will really use. The one I use most is a sudoku app - - I love playing sudoku on it. There are apps for websites like Facebook and ER Forum, and I use those as well. Maybe I will discover more as time passes. The camera is great and I use it every day.

I have NO idea about Android at all. Didn't look into it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I heard the iPhone 5 is being introduced at a techie show in June of this year, but the salesclerk at Verizon said she was sure Verizon wouldn't get it until at least after September.
Thanks W2R. I've heard that while Apple is expected to make an announcement in June at the next technie show, the changes to the current iPhone 4 will be so minimal that some analysts say you really can't call it the "iPhone 5"....it will be more like "iPhone 4S". Most of the changes will be cosmetic but nothing groundbreaking. That's why if I do decide to get the iPhone, I don't expect the iPhone 5 to be out until the summer of 2012 (which will hopefully have some big changes compared to the iPhone 4).

Rumor: New "iPhone 4S" Launching on T-Mobile and Sprint, Too? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #73
Administrator

Thanks, Calgary Girl! I didn't realize this and thought the one to be introduced next month would be a true iPhone 5, with big improvements but it sounds like that will not be the case. Now I'm so glad that I didn't try to wait until later in the summer to buy my iPhone.

They had both the black iPhone 4 and the new white one, but I figured the only difference was color so I chose black.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
iPhone Apps & Comments
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

iPhone Apps & Comments

In some ways I wish my DW and I have not purchased an iPhone. We were not particularly unhappy with our previous cell phone arrangement but we decided to go with an iPhone. Well... it was mostly me that thought it would be handy. And it is. Is it worth the extra monthly charges? Maybe not. But now we're stuck with it for two years. So we keep looking for and finding very useful free apps.

One of the best apps for us is Scoutmob - this app allows us to easily find 1/2 price dining establishments in our area. Scoutmob is not nationwide but it is available in several major metro areas and can be used when visiting those areas even if you don't live there. We plan to use it in Chicago for instance when we visit later this year.

The great thing about Scoutmob is you don't have to purchase anything in advance. Simply show up at the restaurant, tell em you have a Scoutmob coupon and they take 1/2 the price off your total bill. Each establishment will have their own 1/2 price limit. We used a Scoutmob recently that was good up to $25 off.

By the way, Scoutmob can be used with plain old email and with text messages too so you don't have to have an iPhone or Droid. But the smart phones make using the coupons sooooo much easier.