Join Early Retirement Today

Cell Phones
Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cell Phones

Since I am ER'ing in less than 60 days, I need to decide if I need a cell phone. Both my DW and I both have our phones supplied by our employers today. I have an i-phone now and DW has a Blackberry. Since one reason for my desire to ER is to get AWAY from the dreaded 200 emails a day, I can't imagine why I need anything but a simple "phone only' cell phone for emergencies, basics, etc.

So how do I get a cheap cell phone for only calls, keeping my costs as low as possible?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have one cell phone that we got from Consumer Cellular with a discount through AARP, if you are a member. It is an emergencies only phone we take when we are out of the house. There are a few plans, but the one we chose is $9.99 a month and 24 cents a min for all calls. The phone and recharger were free although you can buy a phone if you want. There was an initial cost of $35 to establish the service.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW uses T-Mobile pay-as-you-go. Something like that would be good for you. No monthly charge, but some up front charges.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #4

I use a pay by the minute cellphone. Costs me about $100/yr.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #5

I recommend using pre-paid cell phone, and also GoogleVoice.

I use Net10 for the actual cell phone, and last week paid $35 for a phone, 600 minutes, and 120 days of service. Another very cheap company is T-Mobile prepaid, which for about $100 or so will give you 1000 minutes and a year of service. Ultimately, you need to figure out how much you will use the phone, and then figure out what will work best for you.

GoogleVoice is not a phone, but more of a forwarding service. I travel outside the US a lot, and use it to forward calls to my computer. When I'm at home, they are forwarded to my desk in my office, or to my cell phone. This service is free.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Pageplus Cellular....runs on VZW and other towers...
$10 for 100 min/120 days or several other plans with more minutes plus web. No activation fee. Just use a VZ compatible phone.....$10 on EBay. We are retired folks and have used this service for the
emergency/hiking/traveling phone for many years.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #7

Tracfone works for us. Approx. $120 the first year, probably less than $40 for the next year, have plenty of carry over minutes with the required minimum purchase of an additional minutes package for next year. Went from $40 plus per month for a cell phone to less than $10 per month over the first 2 years of Tracfone.

Tracfone service around here is Verizon, the same as we had before. So coverage is the same as Verizon.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on how much you like to have internet connectivity.
When I'm on the road, my iPhone lets me handle email and basic web browsing, as well as holding most of my music. It's worth it to me.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've had a Virgin Mobile pay as you go for nearly 10 years. I think it's $18 every three months. So, that's ~$80 a year. The balance accumulates if you don't use the minutes. I'm probably at $100-150 on my balance.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet ERd but to offset cell phone cost we eliminated land telephone line. have not had land line for 5 years and do not miss it.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Another very cheap company is T-Mobile prepaid, which for about $100 or so will give you 1000 minutes and a year of service.
And the minutes roll over, and you can refill the next year for just $10. I got this for myself and DW, as we use maybe 10 minutes/month, usually less. So that is just 83 CENTS per month after the first year.

If this fits your low-use profile, I'd jump on before the AT&T merger pulls this away.

-ERD50
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #12

What's the best deal if you have a teenager who "must" have texting ?? We're paying around $125 per month for 2 phones (one of the DW and one for our son). Our plan is with Verizon.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
What's the best deal if you have a teenager who "must" have texting ?? We're paying around $125 per month for 2 phones (one of the DW and one for our son). Our plan is with Verizon.
I have not used them, but check NET10

https://www.net10.com/direct/Purchase?payGo=true

Looks like a $60/90 day card gets you a combined 900 minutes or 1800 texts. So ~ 600 texts/month minus any airtime minutes for $20/month. You can always add to it if it runs low. I'm assuming DW does not text so much? So combined, you should be in good shape (say $20/month for DW, maybe average of $30/month for teen = $50/month?).

-ERD50
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark_L View Post
I've had a Virgin Mobile pay as you go for nearly 10 years. I think it's $18 every three months. So, that's ~$80 a year. The balance accumulates if you don't use the minutes. I'm probably at $100-150 on my balance.
Me. too. I think I pay $15 every three months, plus 18 cents a minute to use it. I have a nearly $200 rolling credit. I did burn up a little recently when I used it to call Peru to make some reservations.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's the best deal if you have a teenager who "must" have texting ??.......
I think the best deal would be to have the kid pay for their own texts.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:

I have researched them, but have not purchased the service as j*b provides cell currently. It's been available for a few years now.

Walmart.com offers Straight Talk, no contract, 30 day service, unlimited minutes, texts & web for $45 a month or 30 day service 1000 minutes, 1000 texts & 30mb web for $30 a month. You would have to buy a phone.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
++++++++1

It's never too early to teach them the value of a dollar, IMHO...

Once they start "paying their way", they can do what they want. Every action has consequences (good or bad). It would be (as Obama says ) a "teachable moment"...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #18

You want the iphone. You really do.

DW has one and would be traumatized if it disappeared. It is a phone, camera, internet, video conference with grandkids, our GPS and more. Worth every penny for what it does. More apps than stars in heaven....must have more apps, must have more apps
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #19

I have a Droid and would not willingly give it up. I don't like carrying a laptop or tablet computer around so the Droid is my internet access, GPS, calendar and so many other things.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I agree but he can't find a job even though he has submitted a bunch of applications.

It's rough out there for teenagers.