Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Brewer12345 - I hear you. It's just that I've never dealt with a banker unless I see their "golden smile"! Maybe I need to get used to the "e-lifestyle"!!
danno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1 View Post
Hey Brewer12345 - I hear you. It's just that I've never dealt with a banker unless I see their "golden smile"! Maybe I need to get used to the "e-lifestyle"!!
Hey, if you are taking financial advice from stragers on the internet, online banking is small potatoes.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Right On!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Right On!

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! OH, and BTW, it is simply financial ADVICE . . . when I do anything else online, I make sure I look before I leap!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So what? Any bank in the US will happily take your deposit via mail.
I missed a 6% Penfed CD in October by two days thanks to the mail.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
I missed a 6% Penfed CD in October by two days thanks to the mail.
So will you wire the funds next time?
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Is wiring funds a secure method in dealing with all of these different kinds of banks? I rely on PayPal to accept credit card payments in my online business, and give my credit card number to secure encrypted vendors online when I buy stuff, but let's say you want to ladder a series of CD's and start wiring these funds around to bankers you DON"T EVEN KNOW? I like sitting down face to face & signing a sheet of documentation.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most let you set up an on-line account. Usually they then make a couple of small deposits to your checking or savings account, and you must then tell them the amounts that got credited. This does a couple of security things and establishes the link for future transfers. At that point you should be able to make either a ACH push or ACH pull to get the money to the on-line bank. The merit in ACH is that usually they are free while Wire Transfers usually cost $10 to $20. You then can see the deposit on-line and get statements either on line or in the mail monthly. I have been doing it for about 10 years now and never lost a transfer or any money. Most of them also have 1-8XX numbers if you have to speak to someone. You can also go to FDIC (FDIC.Gov) to make sure the bank is listed as FDIC insured (NCUA for Credit Unions).
Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno1 View Post
Is wiring funds a secure method in dealing with all of these different kinds of banks? I rely on PayPal to accept credit card payments in my online business, and give my credit card number to secure encrypted vendors online when I buy stuff, but let's say you want to ladder a series of CD's and start wiring these funds around to bankers you DON"T EVEN KNOW? I like sitting down face to face & signing a sheet of documentation.
Yes, wiring funds is a secure way of transferring money. You can have your bank wire the funds to the bank out of your area. You would need to contact that bank to get the wiring information and numbers for your bank to use when initiating the wire. There is usually a fee of around $10-$15 for a domestic wire.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote