Join Early Retirement Today

Chair of CFP Board’s Board of Directors Resigns
Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Chair of CFP Board’s Board of Directors Resigns

This cryptic article about allegations of violations of our Standards of Professional Conduct regarding resignations of big mucky mucks on the CFP Board has me curious.

Quote:
The directors of the CFP Board have announced the resignation of Chair Alan Goldfarb, CFP, effective immediately. He will be replaced by 2012 Chair elect Nancy Kistner, CFP.

The board also announced the immediate resignation of two members of the Disciplinary and Ethics Commission (DEC). Coming all at once, the trio of resignations could become an embarrassment for the CFP Board, which has held itself out to the public as both a professional regulatory organization and a potential self-regulatory organization.

According to Kistner, the resignations were “…due to allegations of violations of our Standards of Professional Conduct.”
Chair of CFP Board

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TLA
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
TLA
Texas Library Association?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Texas Library Association?
I think growing_older means "Three-Letter Acronym", mickeyd.

Certified Financial Planner

Ironic that the board just voted on the disciplinary rules in August. Caught in their own net, so to speak. List of 26 violations here:
http://www.cfp.net/downloads/CFPBoar...es_2012-07.pdf

This press release gives some more info, but not much more.
CFP BOARD’S BOARD OF DIRECTORS ANNOUNCES RESIGNATION OF ITS CHAIR, ALAN GOLDFARB, CFP®

This story hints at some alleged misrepresntation of commissions as salary:
http://www.financial-planning.com/ne...2681676-1.html

Quote:
[Goldfarb:]I can say that the alleged violation concerns representing my compensation as ‘salary,’ which it is,” he wrote, “as opposed to ‘fee and commission,’ since I am also the principal of an M&A-based broker-dealer."

The CEO of the CFP Board, Kevin Keller, said Goldfarb had mischaracterized the allegation. “Alan Goldfarb’s description of the alleged violation that is being referred for further proceedings under our disciplinary rules and procedures is not correct,” Keller said. He would not elaborate.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote