Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Guess we operate differently than most folks and have used this method for about five years. We really don't have a budget so I draw out $100 every Friday, give $60 to DW and I keep $40. This is just for misc purchases. Anything over $10-15, we just use our debit cards. If the purchase gets up to $40 or more we use a credit card. Don't keep cash in the house. Have a money market in a bank in Chicago and can transfer funds to our local bank in two days. Do all my banking by internet. Very few checks ever written. Very seldom step into a bank. Might go to the drive up ATM and make deposits and withdrawals. Don't even need an envelope anymore. Just feed the check into the deposit window. The power outage problem reminded me to keep more cash on hand when a hurricane if approaching.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #22

Enough cash in a wallet to hold me for a week's expenses should there be a significant power outage.

Remembering back when a major wind storm knocked the power for 3 days . . .

-- Rita
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Safe? Why would i put up a sign that says "good stuff here"?
We have a safe, bolted into the slab. Even without that it's probably 200+ lbs. Locksmith said it takes them hours to open one by force. Plus it's fire resistant.

It would take some serious time to open the safe, or rip if from the slab and lug it to their getaway truck. I think it would be obvious that it's there but frustrating if not impossible for them to get in it. Big obstacle, slows them down, lots of noise, maybe they'll go fishing somewhere else.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've used an ATM about 3 times in my life. The only time I use my debit card is to pump gas at gas stations that require you to prepay or use a card. I use cash for groceries, gas, household items, and nights out so I keep a bit on hand. When I go below $500 I stop and get another $500 at my next convience and that usually lasts for a couple months.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #25

Have about 500. Was some winnings from a recent trip to Vegas. Too lazy to stick in the bank.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
We have a safe, bolted into the slab. Even without that it's probably 200+ lbs. Locksmith said it takes them hours to open one by force. Plus it's fire resistant.

It would take some serious time to open the safe, or rip if from the slab and lug it to their getaway truck. I think it would be obvious that it's there but frustrating if not impossible for them to get in it. Big obstacle, slows them down, lots of noise, maybe they'll go fishing somewhere else.
Well yeahbut. You probably have a drug stash that has some legal requirements for home storage. i'm just dealing with paper. There's hidey spots all over the place - mock electric outlets, in light fixtures or appliances, wall mouldings, under sinks, in toe kicks under cabinets, AC ducts, frozen foods - i don't want a thief messing up a safe so i can't get into it! That said, we have had some losses over the years, but more from lost wallets than removal from a hidey-hole.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My cash reserves at the moment:

3 cents (US)
20 colones (Costa Rica)
45 pfennig (West Germany)
2 newpence (UK)
5 lira (Italy)
50 rubles (Russia)

and 2 Chuck E Cheese tokens. Total value less than $1.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I keep cash around.. But for Garage/House sales..Bargins Galore these past 2 yrs.. Ave. $2,000, I have very little in my Bank Savings and Chking accounts, most COH is in M.Funds from MMkt to VFSTX and FFRHX ( short Term Funds) ..

6 mo old 42" TV only $200, 1 yr old $3,000 Hot Tub for only $500 , 2 yr old-$2k Bar B Q Grill for $200, 2 yr old John Deer Riding Lawnmower only $500... Opportunities don't fade away, they go to someone else..

I have a safe too. but only for Important Papers and Some keepsakes..for fire reasons.. Duplicates at my Daughters Place..
and for My Candybar Stash..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My poker stash is kept in my little Brinks lockbox. Depending on how the poker gods are treating me this is between 2,000- 8,000. (Sadly down to $3,000).

One moderately interesting change with the decrease in interest rates, I no longer go through the hassle of depositing. Since, all my banking is done with Schwab, I have no easy way of depositing cash. So I use to a couple of times a year go to Walmart, with several thousand dollars, and get a $.49 money order and then deposit those with Schwab. It made sense with money market rate of near 5%, but now the cost of the stamp plus the money order, and gas, it doesn't make economic sense to make deposits.

I was also careful to report all deposit as taxable income.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
It's common in these parts to keep some greenbacks on hand in case of an evacuation. We do that during hurricane season. Once the power is down, the credit card gizmos are down, the internet is down, etc. Cash talks

We keep $500 in a safe place, and it's on our grab-and-run list along with sentimentals and our hurricane-box of food, water, batteries, etc.
As a hurricane evacuee, I have to write that we didn't need any cash whatsoever. First, you need to be prepared which means using your credit cards before the power goes out to make sure you have things and can drive out of a powerless region. Second, you just drive out until you find where the power is still on. It's relatively simple. I've come to the opinion that only unprepared folks need cash.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think I have used any cash in the last three or four years but I have about $150 in my wallet (just in case). I pretty much use a credit card for everything (for the rebate) or very rarely a check -- guess I just don't buy things that require cash. It has been at least five years since I have used an ATM. I just don't anticipate the need for cash these days.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I keep a PPK handy.
OAG, with your signature line I figured you for a 1911 fan. PPK is too small for my big hands.

I used to keep some cash in the safe but have been on a debt paydown spree lately so used it up.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

if you don't have cash how you gonna rent a flatbed fast for the free BMW?
best of craigslist : Free 1998 BMW M3

if you don't have cash how you gonna buy antique furnishings at fire sale prices?
best of craigslist : Antique furniture from former CEO's office- $1.22 M

Shoot - you need cash just for a bicycle!
best of craigslist : Vintage British 3 Speed Bicycle, Very Nice! - $30 (Dover)
Old 03-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You're making the assumption we want to buy that crap?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

You know, I was in New York on 9/11 and I've kept about $800 bucks in my strong box since then and really haven't needed it at all. I could be making 1% on that money in a money market!
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

In the words of the great Bernadette Peters: it's not the money, it's the stuuuuuff.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
In the words of the great Bernadette Peters: it's not the money, it's the stuuuuuff.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

My late husband used to hide money around the house . After he died I was donating his clothes to Goodwill and found $600 tucked in some t shirts . My friend cleaned out her FIL's freezer and he had cash wrapped in aluminum foil that got thrown away . So please tell someone where you hid the money . As for me I only keep $100 to $200 cash around unless I'm traveling and then I carry more .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #39

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #40

Nuts.