Change of plans to get my 40 quarters?

obgyn65

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been planning to FIRE this summer, age 47. However, I have also realized that I do not have my 40 quarters yet, which prevents me from having SS benefits and Medicare (if still around when I need them).

Nonetheless, I will have my 40 quarters if I work until December 2012. Or I can work part time at a couple of clinics just to make sure I reach my 40 quarters. Question : should I stay at work for a few more months just to reach my full 10 years ?

I think I know the answer already...:)

Last edited:
I have been planning to FIRE this summer, age 47. However, I have also realized that I do not have my 40 quarters yet, which prevents me from having SS benefits and Medicare (if still around when I need them).

Nonetheless, I will have my 40 quarters if I work until December 2012. Or I can work part time at a couple of clinics just to make sure I reach my 40 quarters. Question : should I stay at work for a few more months just to reach my full 10 years ?

I think I know the answer already...:)

Yes

See Quarter of Coverage

The SSA doesn't look at calendar quarters anymore. For a "quarter" (credit) in 2012, I believe one only has to earn at least $1130, four quarters would be $ 4520 earnings in 2012.

You may have 4 "quarters" already for 2012. Four is max quarters you can earn in one calendar year.

I'd double check with the SSA to be sure.

Last edited:
Are you telling us you never had a job covered by SS until age 37? Not even as a teenager?

Are you telling us you never had a job covered by SS until age 37? Not even as a teenager?
I believe Oby did not grow up in the US but moved here as an adult.

Correct. I moved to the US about 10 years ago after qualifying. Passed my boards here though.
MichaelB said:
I believe Oby did not grow up in the US but moved here as an adult.

I forget the exact amount but it is something like $4500. If you have made that much this year you have earned the four quarter already. You can go to the SS site and look up the exact amount but I am close.

Correct. I moved to the US about 10 years ago after qualifying. Passed my boards here though.
I don't know why I didn't think of that before I posted. My internest is from Vietnam. I went to a Czech dermatolagist. My last colonoscopy was done by a Korean immigrant. My wife has an Indian OBGyn. My dentist, although of Indian decent, was born and went to dental school in the US.

From my recent experiences, I'm not too sure that we even have medical schools in this country.

Last edited:
As for your 4 quarters, you can always do some part time doctoring if you accidently hang it up before getting the 4 quarters. The income level required is pretty low to qualify for a "quarter."

Seems like the return for making sure you get the last needed quarters would be pretty high. Hopefully you already have them. I only bring up DW's retirement after her bonuses and option exercise "season" is over. No sense quitting a few weeks before that.

Back
Top Bottom