Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Changes to TSP withdrawal options proposed
Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Osprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
Changes to TSP withdrawal options proposed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-be-proposed/

Hoping that the bill passes before I retire! Not sure if it addresses issue of having to withdraw pre and post tax funds proportionately.
__________________

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Osprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
Text of Bill:

https://www.portman.senate.gov/publi...6-ED477C282718
__________________

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Philliefan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,090
I hope this passes. We haven't touched DH's TSP money yet, but more withdrawal options would be nice when we do want/need that $
Philliefan33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Osprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 96
Section by section analysis:

https://www.portman.senate.gov/publi...9-487CA66068E1
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,733
I hope that it passes also. I have not touched mine yet and it would be nice to have options for partial withdrawals.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
Moderator
samclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 14,297
These are long overdue and pretty good. I wish they would also allow withdrawal at age 55.5 is separated from service (as many 401K plans do), but waiting until 59.5 isn't a hardship.
I'll have to see the details, but for many folks, the TSP could be the destination to which they rollover other 401K-type accounts and IRAs if these withdrawal methods are as flexible as they look. The investing options are fairly limited, but the costs are rock bottom and I could seek out any "tilts" (small, value, etc) in a remaining IRA or after-tax account.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,500
I would like to see this pass. It would be nice to have more options for TSP withdrawals.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
chicamuxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indian Head
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
These are long overdue and pretty good. I wish they would also allow withdrawal at age 55.5 is separated from service (as many 401K plans do), but waiting until 59.5 isn't a hardship.
I'll have to see the details, but for many folks, the TSP could be the destination to which they rollover other 401K-type accounts and IRAs if these withdrawal methods are as flexible as they look. The investing options are fairly limited, but the costs are rock bottom and I could seek out any "tilts" (small, value, etc) in a remaining IRA or after-tax account.
I believe you can retire at 55 and not have to pay the 10% penalty now.

"If you receive a TSP withdrawal payment before you reach age 59, in addition to the regular income tax, you may have to pay an early withdrawal penalty tax equal to 10% of any taxable portion of the payment that is not transferred or rolled over. However, if you separate from service during or after the year you reach age 55 (or the year you reach age 50 if you are a public safety employee as defined by section 72(t)(10)(B)(ii) of the Internal Revenue Code), then the 10% early withdrawal penalty tax does not apply."
__________________
Retired on December 20th 2016, after 37 years with same company.
chicamuxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
Moderator
samclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 14,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamuxen View Post
I believe you can retire at 55 and not have to pay the 10% penalty now.

"If you receive a TSP withdrawal payment before you reach age 59, in addition to the regular income tax, you may have to pay an early withdrawal penalty tax equal to 10% of any taxable portion of the payment that is not transferred or rolled over. However, if you separate from service during or after the year you reach age 55 (or the year you reach age 50 if you are a public safety employee as defined by section 72(t)(10)(B)(ii) of the Internal Revenue Code), then the 10% early withdrawal penalty tax does not apply."
Thanks for mentioning this, it might be useful for some folks. It wouldn't work for me, as I retired from federal service before reaching 50 (or 55). And if I retired from all work for anybody at age 55-59, I couldn't roll my IRA and/or 401(K) money into the TSP and start taking unlimited payments immediately. Withdrawals according to the 72(t) SEPP rules do remain an option at any age, however.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,506
Long overdue change. I plan to keep my TSP funds in the TSP after I reach RMD age regardless but the change will add some flexibility that should have been baked in from the outset.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And if I retired from all work for anybody at age 55-59, I couldn't roll my IRA and/or 401(K) money into the TSP and start taking unlimited payments immediately. Withdrawals according to the 72(t) SEPP rules do remain an option at any age, however.
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say but if you retired from federal service at 55 or later you could transfer any IRA or 401K accounts into the TSP after retiring and start withdrawing those funds before you turn 59.5 without penalty. My understanding is once you transfer funds into the TSP those funds are treated like they have always been in the TSP.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Moderator
samclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 14,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say but if you retired from federal service at 55 or later. .
True. But I retired from federal service at 43. Now that I'm 56 and not working, I still can't start withdrawals from the TSP until age 59. Yes, I can transfer other funds into the TSP, but they are still stuck there (aside from the 72(t)/SEPP option) until I'm 59.
__________________

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proposed changes to SS??? Newventurer FIRE Related Public Policy 22 03-11-2014 06:18 PM
Proposed Changes to IRA rules kyounge1956 FIRE and Money 3 02-24-2011 11:26 AM
Re: Proposed changes in 403b plan newellcr FIRE and Money 4 03-15-2005 10:48 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×