Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your annual budget goes to charity?
Nothing 10 11.11%
Less than 5% 56 62.22%
Between 5 and 10% 17 18.89%
Between 10 and 15% 4 4.44%
More than 15% 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I give ~10% to various (mostly local) charities.
Have also been giving various amounts to individuals who struck a chord.
Give most in December, large % of what I haven't spent throughout the year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Direct mail from charities is, I hope, a dying method of raising money. It is very expensive compared to what is raised in each appeal. I have a phone number that rings but that I don't answer - and an e-mail address that is active but I don't bother to read, when I have to divulge my number or e-mail - so I don't recieve any junk emails or phone calls. The snail mail is shredded. If someone comes to the door I don't answer. At work,when mega charity has their drive, I give, but designate to the charities that I want to support.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I give ~10% to various (mostly local) charities.
Have also been giving various amounts to individuals who struck a chord.
Give most in December, large % of what I haven't spent throughout the year.
You are a very charitible person Khan. I admire that about you.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
You are a vary charitible person Khan. I admire that about you.
I can't take it with me.
Just as soon give it away while I'm alive.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I was very generous with cash donations when I was w*rking. My budget more than allowed for that.
These days, I continue my annual donation to the local volunteer fire department but no others. I purchase raffle tickets for every good cause that comes across my path. A lot of my giveaway items go to a local church for their monthly rummage sale.
I do contribute a fair amount of time to the Legion, helping out with or just plain attending breakfasts and spaghetti dinners held as fundraising events.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I can't take it with me.
Just as soon give it away while I'm alive.
And you didn't even mention the typo in my post More evidence of your kind nature
Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I was very generous with cash donations when I was w*rking. My budget more than allowed for that.
These days, I continue my annual donation to the local volunteer fire department but no others. I purchase raffle tickets for every good cause that comes across my path.
I do contribute a fair amount of time to the Legion, helping out with or just plain attending breakfasts and spaghetti dinners held as fundraising events.
I've thought of contributing time. Having to be around people is a major reason I retired early.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

I believe charity begins at home so most of the money I give away goes to family. The rest goes to Breast cancer research and a small local charity that has a special place in my heart .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
and then I got mail every 4 weeks asking for more..
While I can't speak for all charities, I'd imagine that many of them buy/rent mailing lists (or simply subcontract out their direct mailing fundraising) to certain firms that will make their own decision on how often to inundate your mailbox with requests. So I'm willing to bet that not all of them have someone sitting in their marketing department waiting to get to the next 6 week mark to release the next wave of envelopes.

When I was 29/30, I had an abnormally high income for 2 years. At that time, because of the tax bracket I was in, I decided to contribute to a DAF (Vanguard Charitable) an amount that equalled roughly 10% of all of my income earned up to that point in my working years since college.

I hadn't really made significant charitable donations prior to that (maybe $250/year to my church). My primary recipient is my church, and I give roughly 4% of my total income (gross wages before taxes/401k contributions + dividends/interest) each year out of the DAF.

Thankfully, I had a large % in cash in my DAF in early 2008, and moved about 20% of my DAF portfolio into the market in March 2008. That move has brought my DAF account balance to 12% above the initial contributions from 4 years ago, even though I've withdrawn 5% in contributions and went through a significant market correction. I'm hoping that I'll be able to make another contribution to the DAF in the near future to bring up the balance high enough to allow it to grow considerably, as I slowly raise the withdrawals.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
While I can't speak for all charities, I'd imagine that many of them buy/rent mailing lists (or simply subcontract out their direct mailing fundraising) to certain firms that will make their own decision on how often to inundate your mailbox with requests. So I'm willing to bet that not all of them have someone sitting in their marketing department waiting to get to the next 6 week mark to release the next wave of envelopes.
/snip/

First, it was me you quoted..... so I will respond to what you wrote...

I never had received anything from the specific charity that was doing it every 4 or so weeks... until I contributed money... so I do think there is someone at the charity that put you in their database... my name was not purchased...

As to outside firms... the charity gets to make the decision.... if they do not want to inundate people they can tell the outside firm how often they can mail... also, there was a 'newsletter' page that looked like it had to have been prepared by the charity... it could have been one they recycled as I did not look at them often...

Charities have to take the heat for whomever does the 'bad' marketing..... and as I said in one post.... they seem to get more money this way than with the way I would want it to be... so why change for me
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
The Q asks about "budgeted" charitable contributions. I vote zero. I do not budget for my charitable gifting at all. When I see a situation that needs immediate contribution I am generally the guy that ponies up the first lump of cash to get it going (at my church mainly). If I had a limit (budget) for this I would feel restricted and I do not want that kind of restriction.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm thinking about certain religions that practically mandate 10% of a person's income to go to the church, but I wonder if that's way outside the norm or if I'm just a cheapskate.
From what I understand, 10% if for all charity giving and not just for the church. And since charity begins at home, I try to help my relatives who I know need the help. That way, I know that the money goes to people who deserves help. I also give to our church, but not 10%.

The percentage is not what counts. It is a sacrificial giving.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
From what I understand, 10% if for all charity giving and not just for the church. And since charity begins at home, I try to help my relatives who I know need the help. That way, I know that the money goes to people who deserves help. I also give to our church, but not 10%.

The percentage is not what counts. It is a sacrificial giving.

Time to get some education... here is the first paragraph from Wiki...

"A tithe (pronounced /ˈtaɪð/; from Old English teogoþa "tenth") is a one-tenth part of something, paid as a (usually) voluntary contribution or as a tax or levy, usually to support a religious organization. Today, tithes (or tithing) are normally voluntary and paid in cash, cheques, or stocks, whereas historically tithes were required to be paid in kind, such as agricultural products (that grown of the land, or fruit of the tree). Several European countries operate a formal process linked to the tax system allowing some churches to assess tithes."

The history is 10% to the church....

Here is Wiki for modern time..

"In recent years, tithing has been taught in Christian circles as a form of stewardship that God requires of Christians. The primary argument is that God has never formally "abolished" the tithe, and thus Christians should pay the tithe (usually calculated at 10 percent of all gross[citation needed] income from all sources), although at the Council of Jerusalem the Apostles did not include it in the letter to the Gentile believers (Acts 15:29) and some Christians believe that "Old Covenant" laws have been "abrogated". The tithe is usually given to the local congregation, though some teach that a part of the tithe can go to other Christian ministries, so long as total giving is at least 10 percent. "

My underline... so I can see where you might get that idea... but it does say Christian ministries count... so I would assume that others (cancer society, United Way, etc.) do not count...
Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #34

My OP didn't mean to distinguish between religious giving and other charitable donations.

My (very limited) understanding is that the Mormons have a very organized and efficient (like everything else they do) system of official tithing for their members. If we have any LDS members here, perhaps you could confirm or deny that?

Fot other religions, I think tithing is mainly voluntary, sometimes strongly encouraged, sometimes left to the individual's conscience.

In the past, I have sometimes struggled to get close to the 10% figure for all kinds of donations, but I don't do that any more.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #35

I answered the poll in terms of tax-deductible giving (around 10%). But, for the last couple years that's been overshadowed by direct gifts to family members who have been hit by a combination of health issues and the bad economy.

I'd like to consider some of the taxes I pay "charitable" giving since I know that gov't provides means-tested benefits to people that would otherwise be looking for private charity. The only problem with that is the federal government borrows so much money that it's hard to figure out which part of the spending is actually funded by taxes.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to get preachy here, but in terms of how much giving we do, I would invoke Matthew 6:1-4. It may not be for everyone, but I generally try to live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt. 6:1-4
Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Of course, I guess an anonymous poll doesn't really violate that since you aren't drawing attention to yourself. And I guess merely answering the question isn't really going out of your way to say "hey, look at me"...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

The whole tax deductible thing tends to piss me off. I support the tax deduction but I only used it a couple of years. This is because I end up giving in ways that are not tax deductible. For example, I pay copays for drugs for young people at the day shelter in my old town , where I used to volunteer. Even if they are on medicaid some have to pay copays and have no money. There is no charity set up for this.

I've thought about setting up my own tax exempt charity that would do a few things like this and some other ideas I have, but I am not in one place enough yet. Maybe in a few years. Or not. I'd end up spending time fund raising and that is something I really do not enjoy. I used to be on the board of a couple of charitable organizations and I really, really did not like hitting people up for money all the time.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The whole tax deductible thing tends to piss me off. I support the tax deduction but I only used it a couple of years. This is because I end up giving in ways that are not tax deductible. For example, I pay copays for drugs for young people at the day shelter in my old town , where I used to volunteer. Even if they are on medicaid some have to pay copays and have no money. There is no charity set up for this.

I've thought about setting up my own tax exempt charity that would do a few things like this and some other ideas I have, but I am not in one place enough yet. Maybe in a few years. Or not. I'd end up spending time fund raising and that is something I really do not enjoy. I used to be on the board of a couple of charitable organizations and I really, really did not like hitting people up for money all the time.
Would a contribution to the shelter itself have been tax deductible? It might have been possible for you to write a check to the shelter, which could then turn around and use the money to pay that individual's co-pay, or even for the shelter to have a line item on their budget specifically for that purpose which donations could be directed to. Just a thought in case you find yourself in a similar situation in the future.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The whole tax deductible thing tends to piss me off.

Please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Would a contribution to the shelter itself have been tax deductible? It might have been possible for you to write a check to the shelter, which could then turn around and use the money to pay that individual's co-pay, or even for the shelter to have a line item on their budget specifically for that purpose which donations could be directed to. Just a thought in case you find yourself in a similar situation in the future.

I would think this would have a lot of negatives to it..

First, the shelter would have to agree with that.... then they would have to decide who was worth it and who was not... you can not direct a contribution to a beneficiary... so if you wanted to help out 'Suzie'... you just have to hope they help her...

I also bet there are some IRS rules that might not past muster... but I could be wrong on this...