Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Midpack, that is a nice chart. Is it done with Excel or something else?

That chart brings up another thought. I usually run my FIRECalc runs with just 20 years. But I put a floor on the allowed decline of about 50% of the starting portfolio so that is the "failure". The logic is that if I got down to that 50% level it would already be really scary to me and might require drastic action ... like moving into smaller digs. Also I'd be in my 80's after 20 years. That is a point we might easily see selling the big house. So at least in our case, 35 years is a possibility but the withdrawal rates and major actions might be out there in only 20 years. At 20 years markets and health issues might easily make all this planning quite different. I'm sure what I'm saying in this paragraph is well known to many reading here. Just thought I'd reiterate it.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope I'm not one of those people who "(temporarily) lose perspective with retirement calculators/planning"...although it wouldn't be the first time I've lost perspective...

What I've done to overcome FIRECALC's not including fees or taxes is use the off chart spending in the Other Income/Spending tab. For taxes, however, I could think of no way to guesstimate yearly taxes other than take the avg of all taxes FRIP estimates for the duration of my retirement. Don't like taking the avg of anything, but could think of no better way. Any suggestions?

BTW, rerunning these new numbers in FRIP, I-ORP, and FIRECALC results in FIRECALC and I-ORP roughly equal in results with FRIP much more conservative.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Some people can (temporarily) lose perspective with retirement calculators/planning, but if you look at the underlying result from FIRECALC, is there any doubt? Calculators planners can suggest where to aim the shotgun, but you still get a shotgun blast scatter no matter where you aim...
Yeah.. That was a bit of a rhetorical question.

Today I had my first meet with my Vanguard CFP.
I explained that neither the best or worse case would ever come to pass.
If the best case trajectory is in progress I'm probably buying some Ferrari's.
In a worse case scenario I'll be enjoying mac and cheese during my annual home vacations. LOL
Ken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although I use all the online calculators that most here use, I put most of my faith in ESPlanner which does include the tax part of the equation; federal, state, medicare, etc. Cost me $199 for the plus version, but was money well spent as I don't believe I would have left cush Megacorp gig without its smooth consumption scenarios.

Over the past couple days I've taken the Total Spending figure from ESP and used Arizona Salary Paycheck Calculator | Payroll Calculator | Paycheck City to calculate an equivalent salary. It was enlightening to see how much tax I'm not paying.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
BTW, rerunning these new numbers in FRIP, I-ORP, and FIRECALC results in FIRECALC and I-ORP roughly equal in results with FRIP much more conservative.
Two observations, only you can decide if they are related:
1) Compared to I-ORP and FIRECalc, the tool supplied by Fidelity Investments indicates you'd need to save/invest more money.
2) Fidelty Investments makes more money when people invest more money.

Taxes: Don't overthink it. No calculator in the world is going to be able to tell you what tax policies will be in 30 years. I'd use the current rate structure and policies, maybe add a few percent at the higher levels. If your portfolio takes off and puts your annual income into the very high tax brackets when you are 80, is it really a concern? You'll be happy to pay it, right?

Midpack,
Thanks for the groovy chart. I used to be able to make really great charts and graphs with Excel, then they "improved" it and got rid of the chart wizard. Too bad, as it worked really well. Down the Microsoft Memory Hole, along with File Manager.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...(snip)...
Midpack,
Thanks for the groovy chart. I used to be able to make really great charts and graphs with Excel, then they "improved" it and got rid of the chart wizard. Too bad, as it worked really well. Down the Microsoft Memory Hole, along with File Manager.
I'm still using Excel Chart Wizard. Guess it's 2007. Now I have no incentive to go into the newer versions unless there is something in the new versions that does it better.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm still using Excel Chart Wizard. Guess it's 2007. Now I have no incentive to go into the newer versions unless there is something in the new versions that does it better.
No, stick with what you've got. Excel got worse after that 2007 release (IMO).

This MS Excel Blog talks about the elimination of Chart Wizard and how much "better" things are in Excel 2010 with everything located on the "ribbon". Looking at the chart below--sure doesn't look better to me. Idiots.

[IMG]http://blogs.office.com/***-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles/00-00-00-00-44/0181.Chart-Wizard-Table.jpg[/IMG]
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
No, stick with what you've got. Excel got worse after that 2007 release (IMO). ...
FYI, I just got curious, and LibreOffice can do a 3D chart like the one in the OP, very easily through its 'Chart Wizard'.

Fortunately, they don't seem to blindly follow what seems to be the MS motto of 'let's make the new release different, not better'.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the easy to read chart!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote