Join Early Retirement Today

Chase checking and online bill pay of Chase credit cards.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chase checking and online bill pay of Chase credit cards.

Whoever has a Chase checking account and pays their Chase credit cards from their checking account, how easy does Chase make it for you with their online billpay?

At BofA I get an ebill from any BofA credit card, so I already know the amount due, and can even download the credit card statement from my checking account. I can also set up billpay with various options such as: pay statement balance, pay X days in advance.

Does the Chase checking online bill pay work the same way? Do you get the equivalent of an ebill and see what the statement balance and due date is so you can schedule payment or autopay?

I'm trying to figure out if having Chase checking will make it any easier to pay my Chase credit cards. Currently I manually enter the statement balance due in my BofA checking account bill pay, and schedule the payment for one day before the due date.

If I have to do the same thing from Chase checking it won't be any easier, but if Chase checking "knows" my Chase credit card statement balance and due date, and I can just tell it to schedule payment or choose autopay it will be easier for me.

I've researched online and people complain about having lost a Chase checking "ebill" feature for their credit cards several years ago, but it's not clear whether this was from other bank accounts or also included Chase checking accounts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Log in. Overview of accounts shown on the left, with account above each other (checking at top, credit cards at the bottom.

Click on credit card account and it shows current balance, available credit, next payment due date, minimum payment, and balance on last statement. Then it gives the option to set up automatic payments (I do mine manually). Below that are buttons for "pay card, statements etc" then it shows the account activity below that.

When you select pay card, it defaults to paying from checking but allows you to change that, select the payment date, and the payment amount (up to the amount currently owed, with the three options being pay statement balance, pay current amount due, or pay other amount). Select pay then confirm the payment and you're done.

Automatic payments can be set to either the minimum payment due or the full amount due and are paid on the bill due date.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's a piece of cake as exnavynuke describes it.

I opened a Chase checking account to get their bonus, but after seeing how well it integrates with my 3 Chase credit cards, I am not sure I want to close it.

You can even transfer your rewards to your Chase checking account.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Audrey, I have had experience using both Chase's and Bank of America's online banking which included paying each bank's credit cards from checking. (My ladyfriend has Chase and I had to pay some of her bills when she was hospitalized for a while in 2015.)

While I have found BofA's website a little easier to navigate to pay my own CC bill, it wasn't terribly difficult to navigate Chase's, either. My LF uses online banking to pay way more bills than I do with BofA, so her Chase online billpay has many more items in there than mine. Nevertheless, the way Exnavynuke described it for Chase sounds pretty much on target. She pays an amount greater than the minimum but smaller than the entire balance so that requires an extra step. I pay my CC balance in full every month which is one of the main payment amount options in the BofA website and it makes things a little easier for me.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Instead of doing a "push" payment from the checking account's bill pay screen, you could also do it as a "pull" payment from the credit card's payment screen. I have a Chase credit card and a Chase checking account, but I choose to pay the cc bill from a different credit union checking account.

I setup autopay from the Chase card screen and it asked me for the routing number and account number of the credit union account. I set it to pay the entire balance on the due date every month. Doing it this way means it's Chase's responsibility to initiate the transaction, and I don't have to worry about whether the payment is late because it's a holiday or weekend when the money gets there. They credit it on the date they start the transaction, even though it usually shows up in my credit union account a day or two later.

I pay a Citi card and a Wells Fargo card the same way and have never had a problem.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Another question about Chase checking - do they allow ACH transfers to another persons Chase account without fees?

I have a brother with a Chase checking account and I'd like to be able to deposit a check to his account electronically and hopefully with no fees. Right now I walk into a Chase branch and make a deposit into his account, and that's a real pain.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I'm trying to figure out if having Chase checking will make it any easier to pay my Chase credit cards. Currently I manually enter the statement balance due in my BofA checking account bill pay, and schedule the payment for one day before the due date.
I have Chase credit cards, but no Chase banking account. I configured the cards (at chase.com) to automatically withdraw the statement balance from my checking account (not chase) on the due date. It has worked with no issue for a couple of years now.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Another question about Chase checking - do they allow ACH transfers to another persons Chase account without fees?

I have a brother with a Chase checking account and I'd like to be able to deposit a check to his account electronically and hopefully with no fees. Right now I walk into a Chase branch and make a deposit into his account, and that's a real pain.
I use Chase quickpay to transfer money to other Chase members. I put in their email (or phone number now I think can be used as well) and the amount I want to transfer from what account. They get the money put in their account pretty much immediately and get an email letting them know I sent them money (the first time you do it they may need to accept the money via a link in the email, that's how it was when I initially did it but now everything is automatic on the ones I use). It can be used to send money to non-Chase account holders as well I think, but I've only used it to send/receive money from family who also use Chase.

There are no fees for using Chase Quickpay.

I deposit all checks to my account from my phone also.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I use Chase quickpay to transfer money to other Chase members. I put in their email (or phone number now I think can be used as well) and the amount I want to transfer from what account. They get the money put in their account pretty much immediately and get an email letting them know I sent them money (the first time you do it they may need to accept the money via a link in the email, that's how it was when I initially did it but now everything is automatic on the ones I use). It can be used to send money to non-Chase account holders as well I think, but I've only used it to send/receive money from family who also use Chase.

There are no fees for using Chase Quickpay.

I deposit all checks to my account from my phone also.
I guess that's easy enough.

Thanks for all your answers!
Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I pay my Chase Amazon Visa card by having Chase automatically deduct the full amount from my checking account at another bank. That's as easy as it gets, I think, because it doesn't require that I do anything at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Instead of doing a "push" payment from the checking account's bill pay screen, you could also do it as a "pull" payment from the credit card's payment screen. I have a Chase credit card and a Chase checking account, but I choose to pay the cc bill from a different credit union checking account.

I setup autopay from the Chase card screen and it asked me for the routing number and account number of the credit union account. I set it to pay the entire balance on the due date every month. Doing it this way means it's Chase's responsibility to initiate the transaction, and I don't have to worry about whether the payment is late because it's a holiday or weekend when the money gets there. They credit it on the date they start the transaction, even though it usually shows up in my credit union account a day or two later.

I pay a Citi card and a Wells Fargo card the same way and have never had a problem.
This is an excellent idea, thanks.

I'm now trying to set up a BoA account to pull from our Chase checking and autopay the BoA CC's. Takes a few days to set this up but it's pretty easy. Then when we are on vacation I don't have to worry about all this payment cr*p.

We already pay our Chase CC's by autopay.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Log in. Overview of accounts shown on the left, with account above each other (checking at top, credit cards at the bottom.

Click on credit card account and it shows current balance, available credit, next payment due date, minimum payment, and balance on last statement. Then it gives the option to set up automatic payments (I do mine manually). Below that are buttons for "pay card, statements etc" then it shows the account activity below that.

When you select pay card, it defaults to paying from checking but allows you to change that, select the payment date, and the payment amount (up to the amount currently owed, with the three options being pay statement balance, pay current amount due, or pay other amount). Select pay then confirm the payment and you're done.

Automatic payments can be set to either the minimum payment due or the full amount due and are paid on the bill due date.
OK - so there is some ease of use simply because you see both the credit cards and your checking account at the same time and you can easily switch between the account views.

I don't find that quite as convenient as having the card ebill the checking account and seeing the credit card bill come up in the bill pay section showing up in a list of bills that are scheduled to be paid. I really like seeing that view.

Also - to access my husbands credit cards I would have to log in as him. So it will be a two step process for this. I can probably set his up for Autopay since he almost never uses them.

It seems the setting for Autopay from a Chase credit card only will pay the card on the day due. You don't have an option to pay a day ahead like I usually do. I set this up on the Dad's account and I didn't see any indication that Autopay was scheduled and got notice is was due that day which I found confusing. I actually paid the card again and fortunately didn't get double paid so I don't know what was going on. A bit nerve wracking. His new statement say Autopay is set up, so I hope I don't see that again.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post

I generally prefer a "push" with bill pay because then I can usually see a list bills that will be paid from the checking account and when. To me that is the clearest and easiest to managing bill payment.

But ultimately it depends on which is the easiest.

I actually have my Dad's Chase credit card auto paid as a pull from his other bank checking, initiated from Chase (in case a month was missed - I'm managing his accounts now), but it was a little hard to tell Chase was going to pay the bill on time, and I didn't have an option to have them pay it a day or two in advance so I could be sure.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I pay my Chase Amazon Visa card by having Chase automatically deduct the full amount from my checking account at another bank. That's as easy as it gets, I think, because it doesn't require that I do anything at all.
It's just missing from a list of payments that are going to be made from the checking account.

I don't really like having a bunch of variable auto deductions going on from my checking account. Things that are the same every month or close are fine and easier to track. But I really like to see a list of expected payments going out of the account so I know I have sufficient funds, etc. The Bank of America bill pay works this way and it's really easy to see what is coming up over the next month, and I can verify that it matches my scheduled payments in Quicken.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
This is an excellent idea, thanks.

I'm now trying to set up a BoA account to pull from our Chase checking and autopay the BoA CC's. Takes a few days to set this up but it's pretty easy. Then when we are on vacation I don't have to worry about all this payment cr*p.

We already pay our Chase CC's by autopay.
The BofA checking will let you receive an ebill from any BofA credit card, and then give you several options of how to autopay it. I autopay my BofA credit cards from the BofA checking account, and have it set to pay statement balance one day ahead of payment due date. I just like to see

Once upon a time I had it paid on due date, but for a day it wouldn't show that it was paid right away which was annoying. Scheduling it to pay a day before solved that problem.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Also - to access my husbands credit cards I would have to log in as him. So it will be a two step process for this.
Not necessarily. I'm treasurer for our HOA and their accounts are with Chase. When I finally took advantage of the Chase $300 bonus to open my own personal checking account, my local branch set it up so that I only have one login to access the HOA's accounts as well as my own checking account. They are all presented on the same page. The President and Secretary of the HOA can also access the HOA accounts but when they login they don't see my personal account. Perhaps you could do something similar with your and your husband's accounts.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's just missing from a list of payments that are going to be made from the checking account.

I don't really like having a bunch of variable auto deductions going on from my checking account. Things that are the same every month or close are fine and easier to track. But I really like to see a list of expected payments going out of the account so I know I have sufficient funds, etc. The Bank of America bill pay works this way and it's really easy to see what is coming up over the next month.
One of my gripes about the Chase autopay is that it is not obvious which account they are paying. Was it the Amazon account or one of the CC accounts? Looking at the amount or the date payed usually works. I imagine Chase will eventually tag these payments with a better ID.

Anyway, I like the idea of paying most everything from one account and making sure that account has plenty of money to cover any bills. At today's interest rates there is little penalty in having $10k or so in a checking account. Eventually when rates move to historical rates I might modify things a bit.

Trying to go with KISS and maintain a bit of flexibility.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It might be just me, but I never let anybody 'pull' money from my account (well, a bit wrong since I allow the IRS to pull money out, but not anybody else)....

The problem is that they have the power... so, if you dispute a charge, they can just come in and take the money... YOU gave them permission... once they do it your bank cannot do anything about it... and unless you go through their procedure to remove that permission they can continue to do so...

With a 'push', you have control all the time... nobody can come in and take your money...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #19

FYI - I think Chase does also do "bill pay" (which is a separate function from what I described in paying the cards or quickpay) but I can't explain how that works because I only pay my credit cards and do those directly as that's what works best for me, so I have no experience with their bill pay service.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It might be just me, but I never let anybody 'pull' money from my account (well, a bit wrong since I allow the IRS to pull money out, but not anybody else)....

The problem is that they have the power... so, if you dispute a charge, they can just come in and take the money... YOU gave them permission... once they do it your bank cannot do anything about it... and unless you go through their procedure to remove that permission they can continue to do so...

With a 'push', you have control all the time... nobody can come in and take your money...
Certainly a valid concern.

I've been on a personal mission to simplify things and then monitor accounts quite regularly. There were some suggestions about this on some previous threads (I credit W2R). I've not had a dispute on a charge in ... maybe my whole life. Trust but verify.