Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap eye glasses?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cheap eye glasses?

Just today I noticed two articles talking about buying eye glasses online. I read a bit more and it seems to be a pretty good deal. We're talking less than $50 for frames + lenses. It is good timing, as my eyes have gotten worse over the last couple years since I last got glasses. Time to try out some online stores

Here is a link to a blog that talks about online eye glass sellers. I notice some deals / links on the site, so I figure that is a good place to start if people are interested. I figure that us early retirement people need to save as much money as possible.

Glassy Eyes | Eyeglasses. Good eyeglasses. Cheap.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought any glasses, haven't read more than a few pages on that blog, etc. I just was book marking it for myself, and figured other people here may be interested.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've ordered 3 times from a place called Zenni Optical. Here is a thread about them over at the fatwallet forums.

All thread glasses turned out to be great.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My father-in-law is an optometrist so I get free glasses. I know that doesn't help anyone or contribute much to the discussion but I thought I'd post anyways.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My husband got a couple of pair through Zenni. The first pair was great. The second pair was not the same quality; a screw isn't long enough to hold the lenses in. The sent another pair for free, but that has the same problem.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

zenni is well regarded.

I bought a couple of pairs from these guys 39 Dollar Glasses.com Discount Prices on High Quality Eyeglasses and Sunglasses Online.

But they were 19dollarglasses.com then, although I did see them change to 29dollarglasses a few years ago. Nothing special. Cheap frames, optically correct to the prescription. Worked fine for a couple of spare pairs around the house for when I couldnt find my regular glasses. I also had them make a pair of prescription sunglasses to keep in the car.

For a really good quality set of frames/lenses at a fair price, check out costco's optical. You cant do $50 for a full set, but mine does $29 basic lenses and has a pretty good selection of very good frames under $100. I got two pairs out of them about 7 years ago for around $100, but their prices are a little higher now. I got a set of "frameless" titantium twisty frames with poly lenses, anti scratch and anti reflective coatings for $129 at costco. Same frames at the optometrist were $180 for the frames alone.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Really, Really Cheap Eye Glasses
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Really, Really Cheap Eye Glasses

Most of my lifetime I wore single-prescription glasses to correct nearsightedness. After 50 I needed bifocals to see.

Now, at 64, my eyes are going the other way and I find that I can see perfectly well (better than 20/20) without correction for distance and 1.25-1.5 diopter magnification for reading. Most of the time, I just go to Dollar Tree (where everything is a dollar) and pick out reading glasses - it is a real treat to get several pairs and leave them where I most need them.

Check out Dollar Tree's glasses selection if you only need a magnification correction.

JohnP

P.S. I do get a complete eye exam yearly - and get a new pair (free every two years) of prescription glasses under DWs $7/month/person Vision Insurance -
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I just don't see how you could get a good fit online. What do you do when you get them and some adjustment is needed to the frames? The guy I buy them from always has to make some kind of adjustment.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
My father-in-law is an optometrist so I get free glasses. I know that doesn't help anyone or contribute much to the discussion but I thought I'd post anyways.
Well, I think a pessimist would have charged you..........
Old 11-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

There's places that collect old glasses. Might check Goodwill.

Maybe they have a box of them you can go through till something sort of fits.

That should meet the criteria of "... us early retirement people need to save as much money as possible."
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I just don't see how you could get a good fit online. What do you do when you get them and some adjustment is needed to the frames? The guy I buy them from always has to make some kind of adjustment.
Greg didn't have any trouble with that. Multiple sizes are offered. We measured his old glasses to figure out the size. You also have to measure IPD (distance between your pupils). He didn't need to do any adjusting at all.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
There's places that collect old glasses. Might check Goodwill.
lions club, actually.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Greg didn't have any trouble with that. Multiple sizes are offered. We measured his old glasses to figure out the size. You also have to measure IPD (distance between your pupils). He didn't need to do any adjusting at all.
Hey, I like your new whip.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hey, I like your new whip.
What, you just get new glasses? And the whip isn't new. The leather pants however, are hot...off the rack.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #14

I had good luck with Zenni. Ordered multiple pairs for kids so if one ever goes missing or destroyed we have a backup immediately without having to hassle. They were so cheap (like $12) for low power single vision hi-impact polycarbonate that even with multiple we were saving over the best big brick and mortar place around here. I messed up one order and they caught the dicrepancy and emailed several times until I fixed my error. Pretty amazing I thought for a $12 item. Never had a problem with quality or delivery.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #15

Here is one that I found an article on from the Wall Street Journal. I have been saving this for the time I may need some new glasses:

eyeglassdirect.com

This firm came more than highly recommended by them.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 AM   #16

OK, any good online source for contact lenses?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
OK, any good online source for contact lenses?
I've found the local Costco to be the best deal on my contacts.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #18

I just ordered a pair of sunglasses from Zenni. I let you know when they come in. Site said about three weeks. $8 for frames, $5 for color, $5 for shipping. I figure $18 for a pair of prescription sunglasses is a very good price. Now we will see if 'you get what you pay for'. However, their titanium bendable frames were $10. The one I got in town $166! It will be interesting to see the difference.

For the computer I use 3 pair for $18 at Sams. I think Costco has the same price. I saw an article comparing 'drug store glasses' to optometrist. The 'drug store' came out better. Article said due to the stiff competition and the automation in making them the quality control is actually higher.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I bought six pair of reading glasses from Target at $1.00 a pair .They work well and look good .
Old 12-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rustic23 has the right idea. COSTCO has very reasonably prices optimetric services, glasses, contacts and contact supplies. You might want to check out the COSTCO offering and compare to the on-line guys. Hopeully, you have a COSTCO nearby! RJS