Cheap eye glasses?

HobbyDave

Recycles dryer sheets
Just today I noticed two articles talking about buying eye glasses online. I read a bit more and it seems to be a pretty good deal. We're talking less than $50 for frames + lenses. It is good timing, as my eyes have gotten worse over the last couple years since I last got glasses. Time to try out some online stores :)

Here is a link to a blog that talks about online eye glass sellers. I notice some deals / links on the site, so I figure that is a good place to start if people are interested. I figure that us early retirement people need to save as much money as possible.

Glassy Eyes | Eyeglasses. Good eyeglasses. Cheap.

Disclaimer: I haven't bought any glasses, haven't read more than a few pages on that blog, etc. I just was book marking it for myself, and figured other people here may be interested.

My father-in-law is an optometrist so I get free glasses. I know that doesn't help anyone or contribute much to the discussion but I thought I'd post anyways.

My husband got a couple of pair through Zenni. The first pair was great. The second pair was not the same quality; a screw isn't long enough to hold the lenses in. The sent another pair for free, but that has the same problem.

zenni is well regarded.

I bought a couple of pairs from these guys 39 Dollar Glasses.com Discount Prices on High Quality Eyeglasses and Sunglasses Online.

But they were 19dollarglasses.com then, although I did see them change to 29dollarglasses a few years ago. Nothing special. Cheap frames, optically correct to the prescription. Worked fine for a couple of spare pairs around the house for when I couldnt find my regular glasses. I also had them make a pair of prescription sunglasses to keep in the car.

For a really good quality set of frames/lenses at a fair price, check out costco's optical. You cant do $50 for a full set, but mine does $29 basic lenses and has a pretty good selection of very good frames under $100. I got two pairs out of them about 7 years ago for around $100, but their prices are a little higher now. I got a set of "frameless" titantium twisty frames with poly lenses, anti scratch and anti reflective coatings for $129 at costco. Same frames at the optometrist were $180 for the frames alone.

Really, Really Cheap Eye Glasses

Most of my lifetime I wore single-prescription glasses to correct nearsightedness. After 50 I needed bifocals to see.

Now, at 64, my eyes are going the other way and I find that I can see perfectly well (better than 20/20) without correction for distance and 1.25-1.5 diopter magnification for reading. Most of the time, I just go to Dollar Tree (where everything is a dollar) and pick out reading glasses - it is a real treat to get several pairs and leave them where I most need them.

Check out Dollar Tree's glasses selection if you only need a magnification correction.

JohnP

P.S. I do get a complete eye exam yearly - and get a new pair (free every two years) of prescription glasses under DWs $7/month/person Vision Insurance -

I just don't see how you could get a good fit online. What do you do when you get them and some adjustment is needed to the frames? The guy I buy them from always has to make some kind of adjustment.

My father-in-law is an optometrist so I get free glasses. I know that doesn't help anyone or contribute much to the discussion but I thought I'd post anyways.

Well, I think a pessimist would have charged you..........

There's places that collect old glasses. Might check Goodwill.

Maybe they have a box of them you can go through till something sort of fits.

That should meet the criteria of "... us early retirement people need to save as much money as possible."

I just don't see how you could get a good fit online. What do you do when you get them and some adjustment is needed to the frames? The guy I buy them from always has to make some kind of adjustment.

Greg didn't have any trouble with that. Multiple sizes are offered. We measured his old glasses to figure out the size. You also have to measure IPD (distance between your pupils). He didn't need to do any adjusting at all.

Greg didn't have any trouble with that. Multiple sizes are offered. We measured his old glasses to figure out the size. You also have to measure IPD (distance between your pupils). He didn't need to do any adjusting at all.

Hey, I like your new whip. :)

I had good luck with Zenni. Ordered multiple pairs for kids so if one ever goes missing or destroyed we have a backup immediately without having to hassle. They were so cheap (like $12) for low power single vision hi-impact polycarbonate that even with multiple we were saving over the best big brick and mortar place around here. I messed up one order and they caught the dicrepancy and emailed several times until I fixed my error. Pretty amazing I thought for a $12 item. Never had a problem with quality or delivery.

Here is one that I found an article on from the Wall Street Journal. I have been saving this for the time I may need some new glasses:

eyeglassdirect.com

This firm came more than highly recommended by them.

I just ordered a pair of sunglasses from Zenni. I let you know when they come in. Site said about three weeks. $8 for frames, $5 for color, $5 for shipping. I figure $18 for a pair of prescription sunglasses is a very good price. Now we will see if 'you get what you pay for'. However, their titanium bendable frames were $10. The one I got in town $166! It will be interesting to see the difference.

For the computer I use 3 pair for $18 at Sams. I think Costco has the same price. I saw an article comparing 'drug store glasses' to optometrist. The 'drug store' came out better. Article said due to the stiff competition and the automation in making them the quality control is actually higher.

I bought six pair of reading glasses from Target at $1.00 a pair .They work well and look good .

Rustic23 has the right idea. COSTCO has very reasonably prices optimetric services, glasses, contacts and contact supplies. You might want to check out the COSTCO offering and compare to the on-line guys. Hopeully, you have a COSTCO nearby! RJS

I've ordered 3 times from a place called Zenni Optical. Here is a thread about them over at the fatwallet forums.

All thread glasses turned out to be great.

I don't see how anybody orders anything from this site. I have tried for the last 2 days to connect and all I get 'your connection had timed out'. Never connects. I used the link above and googled the site. Won't connect with those either. All other sites discussed here connects with no problem. :-\

Back
Top Bottom