Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, it looks like Sprint finally decided that its network bandwidth could not hack all that youtube music video traffic from this forum, and to renege on the original "all you can eat" deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For the past three years I've been using a Sprint 3G aircard but they yanked the rug from under those of us who originally had a grandfathered unlimited plan...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #22

I've been flipping back and forth between BellSouth/AT&T and TimeWarner.

When AT&T and BellSouth merged, they were required by terms of the agreement to offer $10/mo DSL. But as I was a current BellSouth customer, I had to quit for 6 months before I was entitled to it. So I switched to TimerWarner, taking advantage of a $15/mo "special" (that jumped to $45/mo after 12 months). So before the price jump, *I* jumped back over to AT&T and got the $10/mo DSL light.

But the most current thing, and the point I wanted to make, which agrees with other folks here, is that you need to call your ISP and be persistent.

When my $10/mo DSL light expired, they put me on $15/mo DSL VERY light (as in "really slow"). When I asked the first time to get the 12 month special price on DSL extreme (3.0 Mbit), they wanted to charge me like $40/mo. I threatened to call TimeWarner and hung up. Then I followed an advertisement link for the $15 DSL extreme, and instead of a bean counter, I started talking to a marketing person. All the difference! They said, well, we don't usually do this, but since you are asking specifically for this.... So now I've got at least 12 more months of reasonably fast DSL at $15/mo!

--Dale--
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Thank y'all. MIL decided to go with AT&T/Bellsouth 's DSL lite. It's $14.95/month for the first 12 months and $19.95/month thereafter. I am trying to sell her on VOIP, but I think she wants to keep her landline for now.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

You have to have a landline to get DSL don't you? We dumped our landline a few years ago, so DSL would cost us more than a cable modem (far faster), when you add phone service (was costing us $32/mo or more) plus DSL. If this is no longer true, please advise, I'm not thrilled with paying $46/mo for internet access...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Midpack - you do need a land-line in the sense that you need the physical telephone wires to your house in order to get DSL service, but you don't necessarily need phone service on that line in order to have DSL. DSL without phone service on the line is called dry loop DSL.

My local phone company (AT&T) offers basic speed dry loop dsl for 19.95/month.
Ask your company if they offer it. They don't usually go out of their way to promote it but it's probably there if you ask.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You have to have a landline to get DSL don't you? We dumped our landline a few years ago, so DSL would cost us more than a cable modem (far faster), when you add phone service (was costing us $32/mo or more) plus DSL. If this is no longer true, please advise, I'm not thrilled with paying $46/mo for internet access...
I get ATT DSL + landline for $27/mo. The landline is a limited package which includes only 30 local calls per month (additonal at $.05/call) and no long distance but unlimited incoming calls. I like having the landline since I give my cell number out very sparingly. For me, it's worth the extra $7/mo over "dry loop DSL" to have a landline number to pass out in commercial transactions, to new acquaintances, etc., rather than spreading the cell phone number around.

Look carefully on the ATT website to find this cheapo landline service. It's in the fine print.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Thank y'all. MIL decided to go with AT&T/Bellsouth 's DSL lite. It's $14.95/month for the first 12 months and $19.95/month thereafter. I am trying to sell her on VOIP, but I think she wants to keep her landline for now.
You might want to put a calendar reminder in for 11 months from now to call the AT&T marketing department....

What they told me was if you let your price jump at the end of 12 months, you're pretty much stuck, but if you come in before the end of the "special" and say you're shopping around again, they might be able to give you whatever the current special is. If you wait 'till after your rate jumped, it's much harder for them to do anything about it. This is based on a conversation with the AT&T rep, so might not hold water, but might be worth a try. This was how they talked me up to the next higher speed (also $15/mo, but it's price jumps to something like $35/mo at the end of the "special").

--Dale--
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You might want to put a calendar reminder in for 11 months from now to call the AT&T marketing department....

What they told me was if you let your price jump at the end of 12 months, you're pretty much stuck, but if you come in before the end of the "special" and say you're shopping around again, they might be able to give you whatever the current special is. If you wait 'till after your rate jumped, it's much harder for them to do anything about it. This is based on a conversation with the AT&T rep, so might not hold water, but might be worth a try. This was how they talked me up to the next higher speed (also $15/mo, but it's price jumps to something like $35/mo at the end of the "special").

--Dale--
Good to know! Thanks.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Midpack - you do need a land-line in the sense that you need the physical telephone wires to your house in order to get DSL service, but you don't necessarily need phone service on that line in order to have DSL. DSL without phone service on the line is called dry loop DSL.

My local phone company (AT&T) offers basic speed dry loop dsl for 19.95/month.
Ask your company if they offer it. They don't usually go out of their way to promote it but it's probably there if you ask.
That's good to know, I'd happily pay $20/mo for DSL even though it will be slower (but not dial-up slow) instead of the $46/mo I've been paying. I'll look into it, thank you very much!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

ATT is currently running a 6 mbps naked DSL deal for $14.95/month, and yes it works in the Huntsville area (where I am). Its good for a year and then reverts to the normal price. No contract. I've been on this plan for about 2 months and no regrets. Includes a $100 wireless router (they rebate the $100 on the 2nd bill).

After the year is up I'll see if they can keep the same price by talking to their customer retention person, if not I'll shop around then.

If you want a land line, you can get a no-frills land line with it (no caller id, call-waiting, etc.) for an additional $14.95 per month. Since we only need the land line as a back-up for our wireless alarm system, it was a no-brainer.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We've been on the road for a week using my new VM "Broadband2Go" aircard for internet access. Our first stop was a COE campground in the deep woods of East TX. The VM map showed us just inside the coverage area but the card would only rarely get a connection and then was unusably slow. Not a good first impression.

However, once we got on the interstate we had good service while traveling down the road. We also had good service at our next three stops - central Mississippi, the Florida panhandle and now on the Florida Atlantic coast. The speed is identical to the Sprint aircard I used for three years, which is to be expected since Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network.

I like the flexibility of paying for a month of 'unlimited' service only when you need it, an excellent option for someone like me who spends a few weeks each year in the RV.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
If you want a land line, you can get a no-frills land line with it (no caller id, call-waiting, etc.) for an additional $14.95 per month.
The problem with having any land line, though, is the taxes and fees. On my bill, the Al Gore fee is $6.50! That, plus other fees and taxes come to $10 in NC ($2.12 is NC state tax). So just a word of warning to those thinking about the no-frills land line.