Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap mortgage money spotted
Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap mortgage money spotted

ING Direct has an interesting product, the Easy Orange mortgage: ING DIRECT USA - Frequently Asked Questions

This mortgage is currently at 4.25% for 5 years. It is a biweekly payment schedule and only offered for 75% max LTV with no HELOCs. The wrinkle is that at the end of the 5 years you either have to refi, pay it off or pay $750 to lock for another 5 years. You can also float down and lock for 5 more years any time you like for $750.

It doesn't work for me given the possibility that rates could go to infinity at the end of 5 years (and I like the option of a HELOC), but it might for someone. And the rate is about as liow as I have seen for a no-point mortgage.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

That interest rate appears about right for a 5/1 mortgage. The only difference is that the 5/1 goes variable at the end. So the (simplistic) bet is determined on whether or not inflation lasts 7-9 years or 11+(in which case the Orange one would be better) or inflation lasts for less than 7 years(in which the 5/1 will be better).

The bet is very hard one to make because it largely depends on the actions of the federal reserve and to a lesser extent congress. My bet is that Bernanke will overshoot, but not by more than a few years. My guess is 6-10 years of high interest rates.

It doesn't really matter because the best bet is 15 or 30 year fixed.
dshibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a HELOC for my paid off condo. I thought about getting a very small conventional mortgage so that I'd have even more cash on hand in case I need more money than my emergency stash between layoff and the start of my pot growing business in California. Then I realized that I probably don't need that much cash right away, so I went with a HELOC.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote