Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Cheap way to get guaranteed health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I've tried it (unwillingly).* The meals were just awful although the company
was interesting.

JG
JG: Wow, sounds like Illinois has harsh penalties for catching over the limit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
JG:* Wow, sounds like Illinois has harsh penalties for catching over the limit.
My mother says it was a "misunderstanding", which is as good an explanation
as any. In any case, an interesting experience. BTW, this did not cause
my almost complete contempt for authority. That has been with me almost
forever.

JG

Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

So last night I was at an event with a few college professors we know. I told them about the idea of going back to school in retirement. They all said why not teach instead, get the same benefits, and get paid.

It sounds more like work to me, but maybe I'll poke around at it. I did teach as adjunct facilty business law a few times.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
"They said as long as you're a "degree seeking" student according to the university, you're eligible to enroll in the health insurance plan. There is no minimum number of hours."

I think the catch is in the term " 'degree seeking' student." This is not an informal concept. It doesn't mean that anyone with the idea they'd like a degree, or a second degree, is a "degree seeking student." You have to be formally admitted into the school and work out with a counselor a plan to declare a major and meet the requirements for the degree in the major you are are seeking. Otherwise, you are a "special student." Special students take whatever courses they wish, whenever they wish.

Better check it out.
I'm currently enrolled as a "degree seeking" masters student and I'm only taking 1 class per semester or maybe just 1 per year. I'm sure schools vary in what they call "degree seeking", but at least at my local state university, they draw a distinction between the special students who are either lifelong education, undergraduate studies, or post-baccalaureate studies students. I've been both a special student and a "degree seeking" student at this institution. To be degree seeking, you have to apply and be accepted into any academic program and pursue a degree. I've seen people who took one class a semester and received their bachelors degree after 17 years. Results may differ at different universities, however.

Martha,

I'd guess being an adjunct would be significantly more work and responsibility than attending one class as a student. For one thing, you couldn't miss class if you're teaching. You have to be prepared every day.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I did teach as adjunct facilty business law a few times.*
My law profs double-dipped..... they taught the classes AND wrote the books that we were required to purchase.... nice
Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I could teach business law to undergrads blindfolded and standing on my head so I wouldn't be too worried about preparation. But I don't think an adjunct that teaches one or two classes is eligible for benefits at most schools.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:23 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I could teach business law to undergrads blindfolded and standing on my head...*
I'm sure your classes would all be full.*

Ha
Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 PM   #48

I love taking miscellaneous interesting classes, so at first blush this sounded like a great idea to me. But the thought of being tied to any particular schedule in my ER, even if it was just to show up for a final really turns me off.

I think the "small business" idea works better for me.

Many Chambers of Commerce offer health plans for members.
By being a member of the AIA (American Institute of Architects) I am eligible for their health plan (although dues are a couple hundred bucks a year).

I also know of someone who sells for this company:

http://www.healthinsurancesavings.com

and it seems like they have a very generous definition of "self-employed." When I asked her, she said she has written plans for retirees who are "employed" in managing their investments. I think you have to join the National Association of the Self Employed or some such bs.

I have not persued the coverage details yet.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

US residents with non-US citizenship can often qualify for expat type of insurance. This insurance is often permanent and does not require you to move out of the US at any point of time. I will be losing my employer health coverage soon and I was looking around for something decent and affordable. In my case, I would pay about only about EU 100/month with an annual deductible of EU 1000 with worldwide coverage - available to Dutch citizens and their spouses only. After the deductible is met, 100% will be paid for. One of the reasons I was looking for insurance in my home country is that once you are accepted, premiums are based on your age range and you can not be kicked out because you actually get sick and you got to use it. I like this type of government protection. The plan only raised its premium last year, the first time in 5 years or so. Still looking into it but have not found anything better so far.

Vicky
Old 09-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

I think the "small business" idea works better for me.

http://www.healthinsurancesavings.com

and it seems like they have a very generous definition of "self-employed." When I asked her, she said she has written plans for retirees who are "employed" in managing their investments. I think you have to join the National Association of the Self Employed or some such bs.

I have not persued the coverage details yet.
Do you know if they do underwriting, inotherwords can price or deny insurance due to health? Most of these types of plans I have seen in the past do have underwriting of the proposed insured.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
My mother says it was a "misunderstanding", which is as good an explanation
as any.* In any case, an interesting experience.* BTW, this did not cause
my almost complete contempt for authority.* That has been with me almost
forever.

JG
Question the authoritites, and the authorities will question you...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Do you know if they do underwriting, inotherwords can price or deny insurance due to health?* Most of these types of plans I have seen in the past do have underwriting of the proposed insured.*
I believe that they do, although I'm not sure, Martha.* Since we are both healthy with no pre-existing conditions, I havn't worried too much about that, but I will ask.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Question the authoritites, and the authorities will question you...
True!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I believe that they do, although I'm not sure, Martha. Since we are both healthy with no pre-existing conditions, I havn't worried too much about that, but I will ask.
Thanks. I consider myself healthy too, but insurance companies don't. I have asthma, though well controlled with drugs. I guess it is because the drugs cost money.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Thanks.* I consider myself healthy too, but insurance companies don't.* *I have asthma, though well controlled with drugs.* I guess it is because the drugs cost money.*
I missed being sent to Viet Nam by some fast footwork, but quite a few
of my contemporaries ended up there. I am not sorry I missed the
"party" but that VA insurance surely looks attractive now. For those of you
thinking that I shirked my duty, be advised that I served in the Sexual
Revolution

JG
Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Too much information, JG...

For what it's worth, I don't believe we were in any danger of being attacked or invaded by Vietnam. I don't feel compelled to support a draft, except MAYBE during a "declared" war...

Sorry, off topic!! For now, my megacorp will be paying for at least some of my health insurance during retirement; but, of course, they can change their minds at any time...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Thanks.* I consider myself healthy too, but insurance companies don't.* *I have asthma, though well controlled with drugs.* I guess it is because the drugs cost money.*
That is really interesting to hear.* *I have had ongoing issues with a cough that lingers sometimes for weeks after a cold.* In seeking treatment for it, one diagnosis was "cold induced asthma."* *I get the feeling that the asthma diagnosis is being overused in many cases.* It was suggested that I should either use an inhaler constantly on a preventative basis, or at least keep a current perscription at all times and start using it any time I felt a cold coming on.*

I resisted this, mainly because I don't like to take any medicine long term, especially when the side effects may be worse (for me) than the condition.* * And then when I started considering the insurance issues, I became concerned that that diagnosis on my record would affect the premiums, just as you've mentioned.

I don't know if they would actually go back and look through my doctor's old files to see that diagnosis was made once.* This is probably a totally different situation than yours, in many cases it's not as if you have a choice.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.* I did ask my contact about her company, and she said yes, they do underwrite; that in her opinion "everybody does now."* She said they would not deny coverage, but the premium certainly could be affected.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the information Sheryl. Asthma is on the increase in the US. I have had it for years. Without the drugs and inhaler I can't breath. With them, I am perfectly fine. If I lived in JG's world of 1850, I'd be dead.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Thanks for the information Sheryl.* Asthma is on the increase in the US.* I have had it for years.* Without the drugs and inhaler I can't breath.* With them, I am perfectly fine. If I lived in JG's world of 1850, I'd be dead.*
That is scary. Do you have a sense of why these increases are occurring? More and more young children are being diagnosed, it seems. Is it because we spend so much more time indoors? Air pollution? Toxic offgassing from construction materials? Mutating viruses??

In part, I think better or more agressive medical treatment and attention are identifying cases earlier on (like mine) that would not have been recognized in the past.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That is scary. Do you have a sense of why these increases are occurring? More and more young children are being diagnosed, it seems. Is it because we spend so much more time indoors? Air pollution? Toxic offgassing from construction materials? Mutating viruses??

In part, I think better or more agressive medical treatment and attention are identifying cases earlier on (like mine) that would not have been recognized in the past.
Well one factor seems to be the clean house syndrome. People who grow up in very clean homes are more likely to get asthma. The theory is that they are not exposed to enough germs, etc. And too much exposure to chemicals in things like cleaning products.

This certainly did not apply to me.

Tags
health insurance