Cheap way to get guaranteed health insurance

MRGALT2U said:
My mother says it was a "misunderstanding", which is as good an explanation
as any.  In any case, an interesting experience.  BTW, this did not cause
my almost complete contempt for authority.  That has been with me almost
forever.

JG

Question the authoritites, and the authorities will question you...

Martha said:
Do you know if they do underwriting, inotherwords can price or deny insurance due to health?  Most of these types of plans I have seen in the past do have underwriting of the proposed insured. 

I believe that they do, although I'm not sure, Martha.  Since we are both healthy with no pre-existing conditions, I havn't worried too much about that, but I will ask.

Sheryl said:
I believe that they do, although I'm not sure, Martha. Since we are both healthy with no pre-existing conditions, I havn't worried too much about that, but I will ask.

Thanks. I consider myself healthy too, but insurance companies don't. I have asthma, though well controlled with drugs. I guess it is because the drugs cost money. :D

Martha said:
Thanks.  I consider myself healthy too, but insurance companies don't.   I have asthma, though well controlled with drugs.  I guess it is because the drugs cost money.  :D

I missed being sent to Viet Nam by some fast footwork, but quite a few
of my contemporaries ended up there. I am not sorry I missed the
"party" but that VA insurance surely looks attractive now. For those of you
thinking that I shirked my duty, be advised that I served in the Sexual
Revolution :)

JG

Too much information, JG... :eek:

For what it's worth, I don't believe we were in any danger of being attacked or invaded by Vietnam. I don't feel compelled to support a draft, except MAYBE during a "declared" war...

Sorry, off topic!! For now, my megacorp will be paying for at least some of my health insurance during retirement; but, of course, they can change their minds at any time...

Martha said:
Thanks.  I consider myself healthy too, but insurance companies don't.   I have asthma, though well controlled with drugs.  I guess it is because the drugs cost money.  :D

That is really interesting to hear.   I have had ongoing issues with a cough that lingers sometimes for weeks after a cold.  In seeking treatment for it, one diagnosis was "cold induced asthma."   I get the feeling that the asthma diagnosis is being overused in many cases.  It was suggested that I should either use an inhaler constantly on a preventative basis, or at least keep a current perscription at all times and start using it any time I felt a cold coming on. 

I resisted this, mainly because I don't like to take any medicine long term, especially when the side effects may be worse (for me) than the condition.    And then when I started considering the insurance issues, I became concerned that that diagnosis on my record would affect the premiums, just as you've mentioned.

I don't know if they would actually go back and look through my doctor's old files to see that diagnosis was made once.  This is probably a totally different situation than yours, in many cases it's not as if you have a choice.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.  I did ask my contact about her company, and she said yes, they do underwrite; that in her opinion "everybody does now."  She said they would not deny coverage, but the premium certainly could be affected.

Thanks for the information Sheryl. Asthma is on the increase in the US. I have had it for years. Without the drugs and inhaler I can't breath. With them, I am perfectly fine. If I lived in JG's world of 1850, I'd be dead.

Martha said:
Thanks for the information Sheryl.  Asthma is on the increase in the US.  I have had it for years.  Without the drugs and inhaler I can't breath.  With them, I am perfectly fine. If I lived in JG's world of 1850, I'd be dead. 

That is scary. Do you have a sense of why these increases are occurring? More and more young children are being diagnosed, it seems. Is it because we spend so much more time indoors? Air pollution? Toxic offgassing from construction materials? Mutating viruses??

In part, I think better or more agressive medical treatment and attention are identifying cases earlier on (like mine) that would not have been recognized in the past.

Sheryl said:
That is scary. Do you have a sense of why these increases are occurring? More and more young children are being diagnosed, it seems. Is it because we spend so much more time indoors? Air pollution? Toxic offgassing from construction materials? Mutating viruses??

In part, I think better or more agressive medical treatment and attention are identifying cases earlier on (like mine) that would not have been recognized in the past.

Well one factor seems to be the clean house syndrome. People who grow up in very clean homes are more likely to get asthma. The theory is that they are not exposed to enough germs, etc. And too much exposure to chemicals in things like cleaning products.

This certainly did not apply to me. :)

Me neither. My mom was not known for her housekeeping skills, to say the least. She did smoke like a chimney. That is more likely my case.

Sheryl said:
That is scary.   Do you have a sense of why these increases are occurring?  More and more young children are being diagnosed, it seems.  Is it because we spend so much more time indoors? Air pollution?  Toxic offgassing from construction materials? Mutating viruses??

Scientific American had an article a couple years back speculating that it's too much anti-bacterial cleanliness.

There are apparently two types of immune responses-- the classic antibodies in the blood and the asthmatic swelling of the lung's tissues. If a kid is raised around a "healthy" amount of dirt then they develop a strong antibody system. If a kid is raised in such a clean environment that they don't encounter many germs then they may develop an asthmatic immune response instead. This was tested between American kids & European kids (whose parents apparently have a much more casual attitude toward dirt) but "further research grants is necessary".

That doesn't explain the sudden onset of adult asthma. A shipmate of mine, with 18 years of service, went back for his fourth submarine tour in his late 30s and had his first asthma attack while he was standing the OOD watch. It laid him out on the deck and almost killed him before the corpsman got a handle on the symptoms. It also got him a return ticket to shore duty & a medical retirement... he's fine today on medication. He never had a history of asthma or even allergies so this one seemed to come out of nowhere.

Nords said:
Scientific American had an article a couple years back speculating that it's too much anti-bacterial cleanliness.

There are apparently two types of immune responses-- the classic antibodies in the blood and the asthmatic swelling of the lung's tissues.  If a kid is raised around a "healthy" amount of dirt then they develop a strong antibody system.  If a kid is raised in such a clean environment that they don't encounter many germs then they may develop an asthmatic immune response instead.  This was tested between American kids & European kids (whose parents apparently have a much more casual attitude toward dirt) but "further research grants is necessary".

That doesn't explain the sudden onset of adult asthma.  A shipmate of mine, with 18 years of service, went back for his fourth submarine tour in his late 30s and had his first asthma attack while he was standing the OOD watch.  It laid him out on the deck and almost killed him before the corpsman got a handle on the symptoms.  It also got him a return ticket to shore duty & a medical retirement... he's fine today on medication.  He never had a history of asthma or even allergies so this one seemed to come out of nowhere.

A lot of what I am dealing with "came out of nowhere". Doctors have no clue
as to the causes which is kind of irrelevant I guess. Anyway, I dodged a
bullet today. I stopped at a Burger King on my way to fish away the
afternoon. Watching the preparation of my food
completely spoiled my enthusiasm. I ate some cheese and beer and fed
the Burger King lunch to my dogs.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I ate some cheese and beer and fed
the Burger King lunch to my dogs.

JG

And you luv your doggies? :confused: :D

MJ said:
And you luv your doggies? :confused: :D

They drink river water and eat unidentifiable objects which they dig up.
I didn't think it would hurt them any :)

JG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom