Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Very timely thread for me. I was going to put my property tax check in the mailbox and decided to add the town to my online banking after considering the thread posts. It already works with the water bill but they want you to use their pay site for property tax. Didn't want to fight town hall (literally) but I can't see why it makes a difference if you include the parcel number and bill number on the check and do it for free from online banking. It's early enough that if they reject it I can just do a paper check hand delivered and not get a penalty.

Please let us know how this works. Exact same situation for me. I hate to authorize anyone to pull from my checking account. I use BOA Billpay to push just about everything else including transfers to other banks. I’ve been tempted to use billpay for property taxes but since I usually pay close to the due date I don’t have room for error.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Hummm, I have never endorsed a mobile check deposit ever. I only do phone deposits to my CapOne saving, not my brick and mortar bank.

I wish I could submit Mobile check deposits with no endorsement. Navy Federal CU requires you to write “edeposit at NFCU” on the back. If they decide to reject it, I think it would be very tough to get anyplace else to accept. My success rate on 1st attempt is about 50%.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
do you mean create the check with the magnetc inkor just fill in a blank check? we've been using Quicken for years to print what few checks we do write.
That’s how we started with Quicken in the first place - to print checks. But that went away when we moved to all ebillsand started living in an RV. Now we do almost everything electronically, and I write fewer than 10 checks a year.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
When my property tax bill is due, I use the county website to pull the payment from a checking or savings account. They charge 1.49 vs. .50 to mail a letter and I get a receipt instantly.
Quote:
does your county assessor offer an option of a direct debit of your account? ours does and that's how I pay our property tax. I can either pay it all at once or schedule the two regular payments to be direct debited automatically at a future date.
Last year my county ran into trouble with people being debited multiple times for their property taxes. They were using a very common standard epay service used by many other counties and municipalities.

This year I’m driving over to a close Lone Star Bank to pay my property taxes by check and they will give me a receipt. It’s not far from some of my errands.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
This is easy. You just need blank checks that fit in your printer, and any kind of word processing program to print them. You can buy the blank checks at compuchecks.com and you can use MS Word or Google Docs to create a template that will put the payee name and amounts in the right spots. There are free templates for MS Word. Quicken or QuickBooks also have this capability built in.

I guess I wasn't clear that I want software to use with the checks I already have.That would enable me to print them or fill them out manually when away from home. I usually only write about 5 checks/year and that # is going down.

P.S: The feedback on my comment inspired me to search again using the word "template" (Thanks, Cathy) and I think I found just what I was looking for but haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
I wish I could submit Mobile check deposits with no endorsement. Navy Federal CU requires you to write “edeposit at NFCU” on the back. If they decide to reject it, I think it would be very tough to get anyplace else to accept. My success rate on 1st attempt is about 50%.
It is not just the receiving bank that may require a signature but also the issuing bank. The year after retiring I received a bonus check from my ex employer. Bonus checks were always paper checks and this one was above the mobile deposit limit. We were in England at the time so I contacted both my US bank and my employer and got agreement from them to accept the check without a signature. My son then wrote “Deposit to A/C xxxxxxxxx” on the back of the check and mailed it to my bank with a deposit slip.
Check Fraud
Old 01-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #47

Check Fraud

I was under the impression you could always write “for deposit only” along with payee account # and deposit checks at your own bank. Maybe they hold it or whatever. I’ve done that many times.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I was under the impression you could always write “for deposit only” along with payee account # and deposit checks at your own bank. Maybe they hold it or whatever. I’ve done that many times.
I have had them stamp it, the teller has a stamp just for that at the counter.
However, depositing a check at an ATM inside my bank, without a signature, caused my bank to refuse the deposit, and mail me back the check.

I think they did this to force my account below the minimum so they could collect a fee.
Since I saw this on the account online, DW and I drove to the bank, complained and then DW wrote me a check from her account to float me a loan.

Then I had to wait for the mail to be delivered, Very annoying.

So next time the bank offered me $300 to open a savings account for 3 months, I did, collected my $300 and closed the savings account. As my fee for being annoyed.

Now I only deposit checks at the teller !
Old 01-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
does your county assessor offer an option of a direct debit of your account? ours does and that's how I pay our property tax. I can either pay it all at once or schedule the two regular payments to be direct debited automatically at a future date.
Yes, but they charge $1.90 for each ACH transfer, on top of our crazy property tax.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Here's where mailing at the post office outside boxes is dangerous...

I've noticed that early in the morning, the outside boxes are so full you can feel and see the mail in the full box! Someone could come up and take out a handfull or two of mail no problem. And this may be the important stuff, since we've now all been trained to not leave it in the home box.

I first noticed this because I literally could not fit my mail in the box it was so full. Subsequent trips were similar, I could see the last mail "peaking up" in the slot accessed from the car. I even jammed it down a few times!

Since then, I go inside and mail it there. The outside boxes are not secure, in my opinion.
I've seen this occur inside also.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #51

A teller at my credit union once managed to cash a check for someone (not me) and took the money out of *my* checking account, somehow. The check overdrew my account and I got a penalty. (plus a zero balance checking!!) After I reported it, the credit union put my money back into my account, and took off the penalty. They acted like it was no big deal !! I wonder if they ever got the money back from the check-casher.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Please let us know how this works. Exact same situation for me. I hate to authorize anyone to pull from my checking account. I use BOA Billpay to push just about everything else including transfers to other banks. I’ve been tempted to use billpay for property taxes but since I usually pay close to the due date I don’t have room for error.
It worked! Sometimes it pays to be a little daring. I have to keep telling myself this

The bank shows you a copy of the check they sent and it did have the parcel # and the Bill # info that I specified. And now I have a record of confirmed payment, although there has never been an issue with the mail payments.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
It worked! Sometimes it pays to be a little daring. I have to keep telling myself this

The bank shows you a copy of the check they sent and it did have the parcel # and the Bill # info that I specified. And now I have a record of confirmed payment, although there has never been an issue with the mail payments.

Thanks. I keep forgetting BofA will pay anybody even if they have to send a check by snail mail. I may try it but will allow extra time in case the county drags their feet applying the credit.