Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
mpeirce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus area
Posts: 1,476
I was in a Giant Eagle supermarket last week and noticed that their CC terminals now have a place to insert a chip card in addition to the CC swiper on the side.

I tried inserting my chip card and nothing happened, so it looks like they are getting ready to handle chip cards, but haven't turned on the new functionality yet.
__________________

__________________
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #262
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 257
We spent a week in Canada this month and all transactions were chip and signature with the tabletop machines. I wasn't even aware that my (replaced after the Target breach) AA Visa had a chip until then.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,294
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My new Chase chip card required a signature until I had used the PIN twice, then PIN was fine. It seemed to use the first transaction to collect my selected PIN.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #264
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 15,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My new Chase chip card required a signature until I had used the PIN twice, then PIN was fine. It seemed to use the first transaction to collect my selected PIN.
That's just weird. I'll have so see what hoops I have to jump through. I've already used it for a couple of transactions stateside, including a chip card reader that only did signature.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's just weird. I'll have so see what hoops I have to jump through. I've already used it for a couple of transactions stateside, including a chip card reader that only did signature.
I would say it only seems weird because you're more aware of the situation than most. We're in a period of transition in this country, and it will gradually get more like Europe over the next couple of years.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #266
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 15,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I would say it only seems weird because you're more aware of the situation than most. We're in a period of transition in this country, and it will gradually get more like Europe over the next couple of years.
Well there already seems to be a major divergence as the US is favoring signature over PIN priority with their chip cards. I'm not so sure that will be resolved any time soon.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #267
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
My new Chase chip card required a signature until I had used the PIN twice, then PIN was fine. It seemed to use the first transaction to collect my selected PIN.
What kind of Chase chip card is it?

I have the Sapphire Preferred which is only chip and signature. Supposedly they will convert to chip and PIN later this year or early next year.


I also have the Barclay's Arrival Plus World MC, which is suppose to be pushing PIN more than VISA.

But I selected a PIN on their website and supposedly, after doing some regular transactions, the PIN is suppose to get downloaded onto the card.

So I went to Walmart and I used the card without signing (low transaction amount so they may not have bothered with the signature) but it didn't prompt for PIN either.

Going to France in a couple of weeks so I'll find out whether it works or not.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #268
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well there already seems to be a major divergence as the US is favoring signature over PIN priority with their chip cards. I'm not so sure that will be resolved any time soon.
I think this means the type of terminal the retailers in the US will install. I don't think this means that a chip card with PIN won't work in countries that use that system. Net, know your PIN.
__________________
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #269
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: E. Wash
Posts: 998
Also curious what type of Chase card you have. I have a chip in my Sapphire card and when I asked them for a pin, I got the following response:
"I would like to share with you that at this time, Chase is
issuing Chip and Signature cards, which only require your
signature to complete a transaction. And your Sapphire
Preferred card is a Chip and Signature card."
The party signing for Chase indicates the response comes from an off-shore service center as does the phrasing of the response
Nwsteve
__________________
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #270
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 15,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I think this means the type of terminal the retailers in the US will install. I don't think this means that a chip card with PIN won't work in countries that use that system. Net, know your PIN.
People are reporting problems with behavior of US signature priority chip and PIN cards in Europe, so it's the cards too. I hope I get to use my PIN, I'm just not very confident I'll get it to work at an fully automated kiosk. We'll see.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #271
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
People are reporting problems with behavior of US signature priority chip and PIN cards in Europe, so it's the cards too. I hope I get to use my PIN, I'm just not very confident I'll get it to work at an fully automated kiosk. We'll see.
Even if you have a proper Chip and Pin card (as in, Canadian) not all of them will work everywhere. This spring, my friend and I were traveling in Europe. She was unable to withdraw money from ATMs (using a debit card) while I had no trouble. Credit was no problem. The compatibility of the technology seems to depend on the bank.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Barclays Arrival+ (EMV) Card
Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #272
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,627
Barclays Arrival+ (EMV) Card

I just received my new Barclays Arrival+ card today (with EMV chip).

I was pleased to see the following FAQ on their web site which details how the PIN is changed and then downloaded to the card for Kiosk transactions overseas. My first EMV card was with PenFed but being an early adopter there was much confusion with the PenFed card PIN that I wrote about previously.

Here are the details on the Barfclays Arrival+ card PIN management:

-gauss
"How do I get a PIN for my chip card - and can I change it?


A PIN was assigned to your card when the account was created. When you activate your card by phone, you can change your PIN to something easier for you to remember, or you can request that the PIN assigned to your account be mailed to you. You can also manage your PIN, anytime, by visiting the customer service website on the back of your card. After you log in, go to the Manage your PIN section.

In addition, you can call the number on the back of your card and follow the menu options to change/manage your PIN.

Please note that you must sign for your first transaction abroad at a location with a cashier or attendant. After your first transaction has gone through, your PIN will be activated and you’ll be able to use your card at unattended terminals where a PIN is required.

You can also use your PIN to withdraw cash at ATMs in the U.S. and worldwide. Please note that there is only one PIN issued to your account. As the primary cardmember, you may share your PIN with authorized users at your discretion."
__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #273
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 5,294
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What kind of Chase chip card is it?
It is the amazon.ca Visa so there are no specific Chase terminals or locations, although there are a growing number of Chase Payment Tech retail locations in Canada.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #274
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I just received my new Barclays Arrival+ card today (with EMV chip).

I was pleased to see the following FAQ on their web site which details how the PIN is changed and then downloaded to the card for Kiosk transactions overseas. My first EMV card was with PenFed but being an early adopter there was much confusion with the PenFed card PIN that I wrote about previously.

Here are the details on the Barfclays Arrival+ card PIN management:

-gauss
"How do I get a PIN for my chip card - and can I change it?


A PIN was assigned to your card when the account was created. When you activate your card by phone, you can change your PIN to something easier for you to remember, or you can request that the PIN assigned to your account be mailed to you. You can also manage your PIN, anytime, by visiting the customer service website on the back of your card. After you log in, go to the Manage your PIN section.

In addition, you can call the number on the back of your card and follow the menu options to change/manage your PIN.

Please note that you must sign for your first transaction abroad at a location with a cashier or attendant. After your first transaction has gone through, your PIN will be activated and you’ll be able to use your card at unattended terminals where a PIN is required.

You can also use your PIN to withdraw cash at ATMs in the U.S. and worldwide. Please note that there is only one PIN issued to your account. As the primary cardmember, you may share your PIN with authorized users at your discretion."
I changed the PIN online and then I went to a local Walmarts to do a regular transaction on their terminals with chip support.

We'll see if it worked.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #275
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 882
Heading to Europe for 3 weeks this Friday. I'm taking 3 credit cards and one debit card. I have a chip and pin card from Wells Fargo, but was surprised that it comes with a 3% transaction fee for each use abroad -- that hurts! I also have a chip and signature card from Chase (Marriott Rewards) and magnetic strip card from Chase (United Explorer) which I've been told by Chase should work well in Europe. The chip and signature card I've been told will work in terminals, kiosks and gas stations -- will see about that when I'm there. Chase tells me that its cards have not international transaction fees when used in Europe, so I intend to use those cards primarily for retail purchases. Wells Fargo tells me that there's no fees for taking out Euros at ATM machines, so in case I need some cash I'll use the debit card. I think I have all bases covered. Am I missing anything?
__________________
Someday this war's gonna end . . .
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #276
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The chip and signature card I've been told will work in terminals, kiosks and gas stations -- will see about that when I'm there.
...
Am I missing anything?
Just be sure you know the PIN for each card.
All my chip cards (I'm up to three now) work as chip and signature when the merchant wants to do that, and chip/PIN when necessary (unattended kiosks like train stations and gas stations). After quite a bit of foreign travel earlier this year, I don't worry about it like I used to before the travel.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #277
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,169
They don't issue PINs with chip and signature cards here.

Just a cash advance PIN, which is a different matter.
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #278
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 7,831
I didn't realize that; thanks for pointing it out.
My chipped Visa and Mastercard each came with a PIN.

The Mastercard from USAA always worked as chip & PIN, while the Andrews FCU Visa often defaulted to chip & signature in restaurants, but was fine as chip & PIN for buying train tickets at kiosks.

It can be confusing, since these cards also have the magnetic strip so function normally as swipe cards in this country.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 AM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Heading to Europe for 3 weeks this Friday. I'm taking 3 credit cards and one debit card. I have a chip and pin card from Wells Fargo, but was surprised that it comes with a 3% transaction fee for each use abroad -- that hurts! I also have a chip and signature card from Chase (Marriott Rewards) and magnetic strip card from Chase (United Explorer) which I've been told by Chase should work well in Europe. The chip and signature card I've been told will work in terminals, kiosks and gas stations -- will see about that when I'm there. Chase tells me that its cards have not international transaction fees when used in Europe, so I intend to use those cards primarily for retail purchases. Wells Fargo tells me that there's no fees for taking out Euros at ATM machines, so in case I need some cash I'll use the debit card. I think I have all bases covered. Am I missing anything?

I have two Chase cards, one VISA and one mastercard. The MasterCard has no foreign transaction fees. The VISA does. Also, Wells Fargo charged me $5 for each ATM transaction in Europe, so that was about a 2% hit each time.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #280
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 15,117
So far the PenFed card has been showing its signature priority. I haven't needed to use an automated kiosk yet. Maybe in Munich.

In general I use my BofA Travel Rewards chip and signature card because it gives me 1.5% credit rewards in addition to no foreign transaction fee.
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving chip to a newer phone modhatter Other topics 3 03-04-2012 05:14 PM
Do credit unions cancel credit cards because of inactivity? rec7 FIRE and Money 11 12-22-2008 04:21 PM
GM bankruptcy as auto bargaining chip? pedorrero FIRE and Money 1 11-22-2008 05:40 PM
PNY Memory Chip (camera) kaneohe Other topics 1 09-09-2008 06:50 PM
Credit Cards and Credit Matuski Other topics 21 08-14-2006 12:40 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.