Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
First hand experience? . j/k

Visa just replaced my Fido card, which seems to be happening yearly now, but to my surprise it's a new chip one.
We got ours too - the Fidelity Amex 2% rewards card. Now with chip!

I called FIA Card Services a week ago when I noticed a new card number on our statement. They told me a merchant notified them of a (large) compromise on Jan 5th and new cards were issued on Jan 7th.

The last time was Nov 2013.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Visa just replaced my Fido card, which seems to be happening yearly now, but to my surprise it's a new chip one.
I just replaced my Fido card with a Chase preferred VISA and a PenFed VISA, neither of which have international transaction fees. I went on a trip to New Zealand last year and paid a lot in transaction fees to Fidelity's VISA. Too bad, I liked that card (and the cash back.)

Thank you forum members for helping me find new VISA cards. I love this place!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We got ours too - the Fidelity Amex 2% rewards card. Now with chip!

I called FIA Card Services a week ago when I noticed a new card number on our statement. They told me a merchant notified them of a (large) compromise on Jan 5th and new cards were issued on Jan 7th.

The last time was Nov 2013.
That's weird, I have the same card. They've sent 2 sets with chip. The last set (after Home Depot ) no chip. I figured they were making the cards so fast they had to cut corners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I just replaced my Fido card with a Chase preferred VISA and a PenFed VISA, neither of which have international transaction fees. I went on a trip to New Zealand last year and paid a lot in transaction fees to Fidelity's VISA. Too bad, I liked that card (and the cash back.)

Thank you forum members for helping me find new VISA cards. I love this place!
I love my Fidelity AMEX with 2% cash rewards on everything. We use that card predominantly in the US except when we encounter a merchant that doesn't take American Express. Overseas it basically becomes a 1% rewards card, because they pass through the 1% foreign conversion fee to the customer.

When overseas we use Bank of America Travel Rewards VISA as much as possible: no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and 1.5% rewards. This is our alternate in the US when a merchant doesn't accept AMEX.

Now I need a ATM card that is more friendly for foreign cash withdrawals. I have the PenFed ATM/debit card. Their documentation mentions 1-3% foreign transaction fee, and in prior notes I had written down that it charges 2%. Bank of America is terrible in their ATM fees for foreign transactions - $5 plus 3% foreign transaction fees. Only the $5 is waived at "network" banks (maybe).
Old 01-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #345

Quote:
Now I need a ATM card that is more friendly for foreign cash withdrawals. I have the PenFed ATM/debit card. Their documentation mentions 1-3% foreign transaction fee, and in prior notes I had written down that it charges 2%. Bank of America is terrible in their ATM fees for foreign transactions - $5 plus 3% foreign transaction fees. Only the $5 is waived at "network" banks (maybe).
I've been looking for a good ATM card for overseas use. One of my credit unions has a card with no foreign transaction fee but will charge $2.50 per transaction when the ATM is not one of theirs. Compared to what you posted this doesn't seem too bad.

Whatever ATM card I use, I want to keep a limited amount of cash in the account; maybe $5k - $10k. That way, if there is any fraud involved I will minimize the damage.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I've been looking for a good ATM card for overseas use. One of my credit unions has a card with no foreign transaction fee but will charge $2.50 per transaction when the ATM is not one of theirs. Compared to what you posted this doesn't seem too bad.

Whatever ATM card I use, I want to keep a limited amount of cash in the account; maybe $5k - $10k. That way, if there is any fraud involved I will minimize the damage.
Yeah the $2.50 fee only overseas wouldn't be bad at all if you withdrew large amounts each time. But you might also get hit with fees from the ATM itself. Unless they also reimburse the other bank fees, your actual hit could be higher.

I'm looking at the Fidelity Cash Management account, which is FDIC insured and handled like a bank account. And it has an ATM card that reimburses all ATM fees and only charges 1% for foreign exchange - which is not bad at all compared to most debit/ATM cards.

If someone has a Charles Schwab brokerage, they can get the best deal - no fees whatsoever including no foreign transaction fee with a banking account. But I'm not willing to open a Schwab brokerage account just to get their banking and wonderful debit card.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #347
Confused about dryer sheets

We used chip-and-sign Marriott Rewards Visa cards (from Chase) during an EU trip last summer, and didn't have any problems anywhere. That included subway ticket machines in London and Paris, manned train stations in Italy, and manned gas stations in Italy. No foreign trans fees, no annual fee the first year, and 50k marriott points once you spend $3k the first year.

After the first year, it's $85 per year annual fee but you get one free night voucher for a 1-to-4 point category hotel.

The only "gotcha" was - of course - that the voucher had to be used within 6 months I think and it as only good at category 1-to-4 hotels, which are basically like out of the way Courtyards and stuff. We never used the one for the first year before it expired.

I'm gonna keep it for now as I still go to EU for work several times a year, and my company only provides Amex which has poor acceptance in many of the restaurants I eat at.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #348
Moderator Emeritus

$1.13 euro to dollar right now. Enjoy that regardless of what card or verification you will be using!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #349
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Audrey
Check out Fido ATM card. No atm fees worldwide, and only 1% exchange conversion fee. It is our go to international card. Never had any problems using anywhere--used in Asia, Turkey, and most of Europe without problems.
Nwsteve
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #350

How do you use the Bank of America Travel Rewards points? Can you redeem for statement credit? I have the Cash Rewards which allows statement credits with no FTF and AF.

It gives 2X grocery and 3X gas.

I have Schwab and eTrade ATM cards. I've mostly used Trade ATM cards overseas and they put 1% max on all withdrawals overseas.

I'm not motivated enough to transfer money to Schwab, maintaining just a minimal balance there, but maybe I should bother since I think I have ACH transfers set up over there.

I also have an account at Fidelity but never looked into the ATM options there.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #351

OK, just checked on Schwab and they say they are issuing chipped ATM cards.

They refund all ATM fees but they use Visa's official rate.

However, when I check Visa.com, their official rate is high, over 1.16484 for today when the official rate is 1.12:

Exchange Rate Calculator | Visa USA

Maybe their rate lags one day behind?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
OK, just checked on Schwab and they say they are issuing chipped ATM cards.

They refund all ATM fees but they use Visa's official rate.

However, when I check Visa.com, their official rate is high, over 1.16484 for today when the official rate is 1.12:

Exchange Rate Calculator | Visa USA

Maybe their rate lags one day behind?
Since charges from today typically are entered a day or so late, that makes sense. Usually, the exchange rate doesn't change much day-to-day. We have the ECB firing a shot in the currency war we're in that's churning the exchange rate. Nobody can possibly think that low interest rates are inhibiting EU growth. Germany was already much lower than the US. Even Italy and Spain could borrow for what the US government paid on bonds. Only Greece is significantly higher. Does anyone really think that if they lend money to Greece they will actually be paid back euro for euro? I think it's a question of what the next haircut will be.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #353

But was there that much change in the exchange rate from yesterday?

OK, checking x-rates.com historical lookup, these were the rates:

1/20/15 1.155747
1/21/15 1.158535
1/22/15 1.141091
1/23/15 1.123204

Oh well, I'm getting a chipped Schwab ATM card sent to me.

I will maybe transfer some money into my account there so that on my next trip, I can compare rates among the cards but I generally withdraw minimal amounts at a time so the difference between cards is likely to be less than a dollar.

FYI, Visa has an ATM location which lets you filter search results for "Chip-Enabled" ATMs but no matter which US or foreign city I try filtering for that attribute, it says none were found:

ATM Locator)
Old 01-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Audrey
Check out Fido ATM card. No atm fees worldwide, and only 1% exchange conversion fee. It is our go to international card. Never had any problems using anywhere--used in Asia, Turkey, and most of Europe without problems.
Nwsteve
That's exactly what I'm doing, thanks! I just didn't want it linked to our brokerage. But it looks like you can have the same with the Fidelity Cash Management Account, so that's what I'm looking into now.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
But was there that much change in the exchange rate from yesterday?

OK, checking x-rates.com historical lookup, these were the rates:

1/20/15 1.155747
1/21/15 1.158535
1/22/15 1.141091
1/23/15 1.123204

Oh well, I'm getting a chipped Schwab ATM card sent to me.

I will maybe transfer some money into my account there so that on my next trip, I can compare rates among the cards but I generally withdraw minimal amounts at a time so the difference between cards is likely to be less than a dollar.

FYI, Visa has an ATM location which lets you filter search results for "Chip-Enabled" ATMs but no matter which US or foreign city I try filtering for that attribute, it says none were found:

ATM Locator)
What happened yesterday, was that Draghi introduced QE for Europe. This accommodative program has a devaluing effect on the Euro. Yes, the exchange rate can take sudden leaps.

Yes - sometimes rates banks use for conversion lag a day or two.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #356

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm doing, thanks! I just didn't want it linked to our brokerage. But it looks like you can have the same with the Fidelity Cash Management Account, so that's what I'm looking into now.
I have a Fidelity ATM debit card linked to my Cash management account and not to my brokerage account. I use it whenever we are traveling since they refund all ATM fees I don't have to search for a BOFA ATM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I have a Fidelity ATM debit card linked to my Cash management account and not to my brokerage account. I use it whenever we are traveling since they refund all ATM fees I don't have to search for a BOFA ATM.
Looks like what we'll do. Sounds like there are some customer service issues with that account, but as long as the ATM card works OK, we're good.

So you haven't had trouble using the card at any ATM overseas?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #358

Quote:
Looks like what we'll do. Sounds like there are some customer service issues with that account, but as long as the ATM card works OK, we're good.

So you haven't had trouble using the card at any ATM overseas?
I did not use it overseas but DW had no problem using it on her trip to visit family last year. I think they charge a 1% transaction fee which is not bad.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #359

Another vote for the Schwab debit/ATM card. Last year I closed my BofA account that was opened in 1985 and now use Schwab as my only checking account.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I did not use it overseas but DW had no problem using it on her trip to visit family last year. I think they charge a 1% transaction fee which is not bad.
Yep, 1% with no other fees is very good compared to most options including exchanging cash in Europe.

If you want better, you'll have to open a small Schwab brokerage account. Something to consider if you use a lot of foreign cash.