Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will throw in this thread... DW and DD was in London for a week recently and had zero problems with the Chip cards without any pin...

Did not take out any cash as she brought some to exchange...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #742
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Interesting event recently. During our stay in Scotland last week I tried to get cash with my trusty Schwab debit card. That has never failed me during so many European trips, but it was rejected repeatedly last week. After the fourth bank snubbed it, I called Schwab and they were as mystified as I was. After about 15 minutes on the phone with them, they said it must be a problem in the Visa system and they would get it fixed. Two days later it was just the same and I spent another 20 minutes with them.

Finally, they decided that the chip in my card must have failed somehow.
Well, duh! Slapping myself on the forehead, we tried DW’s card and it worked perfectly. So that confirmed the bad chip theory.

Received a new card today in London to replace my bad one, so that’s sorted. But something for all of us to be aware of. I had another card I could use but I just love that Schwab card for “free” foreign cash.
Thanks for reporting. We carry Schwab and Fidelity ATM cards when traveling overseas, and DH and I have different numbers for each, so there is a lot of redundancy with us.

Good catch on the bad chip theory - it must occasionally happen.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #743
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Finally, they decided that the chip in my card must have failed somehow.
If that happens again, try cleaning the chip with an ordinary pencil eraser. It's usually dirt or fingerprint oil rather than a chip failure, and if it doesn't work, you can still have them replace the card.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #744
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I travel to Europe at least 2x yearly and use my chip and pin credit and debit cards. Interestingly, I have only had to use my PIN once on a credit card - all other times, it is a signature transaction. For my debit card, I usually land in Germany and immediately go to an ATM and withdraw the max in Euros.....that uses the chip and PIN, of course.

While in the Sweden, I also used the ATM for Swedish Kroner as well as the credit card (again, signature transactions - seems American banks have not activated the PIN for credit cards...would make it much more safe!)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #745
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I travel to Europe at least 2x yearly and use my chip and pin credit and debit cards. Interestingly, I have only had to use my PIN once on a credit card - all other times, it is a signature transaction. For my debit card, I usually land in Germany and immediately go to an ATM and withdraw the max in Euros.....that uses the chip and PIN, of course.

While in the Sweden, I also used the ATM for Swedish Kroner as well as the credit card (again, signature transactions - seems American banks have not activated the PIN for credit cards...would make it much more safe!)
With chip and PIN credit cards there is Signature priority and PIN priority. Almost all US issued chip cards are signature priority. You can get a PIN priority credit card from First Tech Credit Union. It’s convenient to use, but signature priority credit cards work fine in Europe too. Debit cards, of course, require PINs.

Supposedly US credit cards (AMEX, VISA, MasterCard) don’t require signature anymore in the US, so what exactly was the point of signature priority? I know, they didn’t want to burden the US consumer with a PIN, never mind that the US consumer handles debit cards OK. I suppositie they really didn’t want to require restaurants to bring little terminals to your table.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...e-required.php
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #746
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
If that happens again, try cleaning the chip with an ordinary pencil eraser. It's usually dirt or fingerprint oil rather than a chip failure, and if it doesn't work, you can still have them replace the card.
Yes checkout clerks often use their fingers if the card does not work. Good tip about removing the oil. But where to find an eraser at checkout?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #747
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I know, they didn’t want to burden the US consumer with a PIN, never mind that the US consumer handles debit cards OK. I suppositie they really didn’t want to require restaurants to bring little terminals to your table.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...e-required.php
With my Canadian chip card, when in PV MX, they bring the tableside device and you enter your PIN, then they print out their copy and have you sign it!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #748
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes checkout clerks often use their fingers if the card does not work. Good tip about removing the oil. But where to find an eraser at checkout?
You may not be able to do it right at checkout, which is why having a backup card is a good idea; but braumeister was talking about 4 banks and waiting for a new card, so he probably had a bit more time to look for an eraser.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Chip and PIN credit cards for Europe
Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #749

Chip and PIN credit cards for Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You may not be able to do it right at checkout, which is why having a backup card is a good idea; but braumeister was talking about 4 banks and waiting for a new card, so he probably had a bit more time to look for an eraser.

I had already destroyed the bad card so I couldn’t try the eraser trick. But I used the replacement card today and it was fine.

Just a good reminder that it’s always wise to carry additional cards when you travel.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #750
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I suppositie they really didn’t want to require restaurants to bring little terminals to your table.
We just returned from a trip to Europe, first time in 30 years for me. Personally, I think the portable terminals are a great idea. In France, I was told by one server that it's illegal for them to take your credit card out of your sight. I paid attention after that and noticed that was always the case.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #751
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
We just returned from a trip to Europe, first time in 30 years for me. Personally, I think the portable terminals are a great idea. In France, I was told by one server that it's illegal for them to take your credit card out of your sight. I paid attention after that and noticed that was always the case.
I LOVE the portable terminals and was so disappointed when the new chip cards didn’t change handing off credit cards to waitstaff.

My first portable terminal I experienced in a seafood restaurant in Longview WA in 2011. And I thought - cool, wave of the future. But that was the only time I ever had a terminal brought to my table in the US.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #752

Quote:
I LOVE the portable terminals and was so disappointed when the new chip cards didn’t change handing off credit cards to waitstaff.

My first portable terminal I experienced in a seafood restaurant in Longview WA in 2011. And I thought - cool, wave of the future. But that was the only time I ever had a terminal brought to my table in the US.
A lot of places here in Denver, especially new ones, use Square. The card is swiped in front of you, the signature and tip are all done with your finger. They email you a receipt immediately.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #753
Give me a forum ...

I like not having to see my card disappear for 5 minutes while in the hand of strangers
Old 08-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #754
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
A lot of places here in Denver, especially new ones, use Square. The card is swiped in front of you, the signature and tip are all done with your finger. They email you a receipt immediately.
I have encountered that at a farmer's market here a few years ago - if you are talking about the device plugged into an iPhone. I was impressed!
Old 08-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #755

Quote:
I have encountered that at a farmer's market here a few years ago - if you are talking about the device plugged into an iPhone. I was impressed!
That's the mobile version, there is also a small white terminal that sits on a counter. It looks like an iPad.

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote