Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
So does it even make sense for me to go to Pen Fed and get a chip and pin cc for Europe UK trip in Oct. What other card would be comparable? I have an Am Ex and a Bank of America cash back Visa but I need to check on foreign transaction fees.

Yes. FWIW, we picked out own PIN.

Penfed has no foreign transaction fee. Neither does Discover, but Discover is useless outside of the US, nobody takes it.

Capital One also has no fee. No chip, either, but no bid deal. Even with the Penfed card they always ask for a signature.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #102
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
So does it even make sense for me to go to Pen Fed and get a chip and pin cc for Europe UK trip in Oct. What other card would be comparable? I have an Am Ex and a Bank of America cash back Visa but I need to check on foreign transaction fees.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Yes, it is still worth having since all the CHiP and PIN machines work with the card except unattended kiosks. I am concerned about my ability to get cash from an ATM in Australia since I don't have a US Chip enabled ATM card, but I do have my UK CHip and Pin debit card and have sufficient funds for the small amounts of cash I expect I will need, even though we will be there for over 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Alan, you are the chip and pin crusader for the rest of us! I would wager that you know a lot more about how these cards should work than the credit card companies issuing them in the USA do.
Since Chip and Pin became very common in the UK about 10 years ago I have been caught out 3 times in pubs and a small restaurant trying to pay for meals. Each time I had to get someone else to pay. One time that person was my Dad, much to his amusement, the other two times were UK business colleagues.

I'll let you all know how the new card works next month.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had a Marriott chip and signature card (issued by chase) for a year or so but I am also frustrated by the PIN absence. Just today I applied for, and was approved for, a Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard. It's supposed to be a chip and signature which defaults to pin use when signature is unavailable. It's a new product from them so it's hard to tell how well it really works but it sounds promising. It does have an annual fee (waived first year) but the rewards seem good. Once I have it, and have had the chance to try it out, I'll update.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
I've had a Marriott chip and signature card (issued by chase) for a year or so but I am also frustrated by the PIN absence. Just today I applied for, and was approved for, a Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard. It's supposed to be a chip and signature which defaults to pin use when signature is unavailable. It's a new product from them so it's hard to tell how well it really works but it sounds promising. It does have an annual fee (waived first year) but the rewards seem good. Once I have it, and have had the chance to try it out, I'll update.
Look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We live in Canada. PIN cards have been the standard for about three-four years. 4 didgit PINS The chip card is standard issue-no charge by any Canadian financial institution that I am aware of.

I recall reading an article that the Canadian Bankers Assoc. estimated (in 2012-2013) that the PIN cards have reduced credit card fraud by 25-30 percent-a significant amount if this estimate is correct.

We input our PIN for all purchases. Used it yesterday at Safeway to pay a $4. purchase. Same process for a $3K purchase.

I am told that some merchants like it because prior to PINS, they had to call for credit authorization on some cards/cardholders. This procedure is apparently no longer required with a PIN card. We have PIN on our bank convenience card as well. We never use this debit card for purchases.

Not certain why this is not common. We have used the PIN in Europe and in SE Asia. without any issue.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
The chip card is standard issue-no charge by any Canadian financial institution that I am aware of...
The retailers pay extra in their fees for processing PIN cards. This was big news back when Visa did a forced conversion to "Infinite" series cards.

(This is especially troubling to retailers because the banks suffer lower losses with these cards.)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #107
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The retailers pay extra in their fees for processing PIN cards. This was big news back when Visa did a forced conversion to "Infinite" series cards.

(This is especially troubling to retailers because the banks suffer lower losses with these cards.)
According to this WSJ article Walmart are suing VISA for $5B and as part of the suit is the the slow adoption of CHIP and PIN which they want.

Who knows where the truth really lies in these charges....

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...65690629247558

Quote:
"Wal-Mart was further harmed by anti-innovation conduct on the part of Visa and the banks, such as perpetuating the use of fraud-prone magnetic stripe system in the U.S. and the continued use of signature authentication despite knowledge that PIN authentication is more secure, a fact Visa has acknowledged repeatedly," it said in the suit.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I got on okay last year in London without a PIN.

Been about 4 years since I went to Sydney, where I had no trouble withdrawing money with my mag stripe cards.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 AM   #109
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Been about 4 years since I went to Sydney, where I had no trouble withdrawing money with my mag stripe cards.
Thanks, that sounds promising.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Who knows where the truth really lies in these charges....
There are also the lawsuits about Visa Debit cards that charge a percentage rather than a transaction fee....
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

I'd imagine Australia would be denying itself a lot of American tourist dollars if it didn't accommodate US credit and ATM cards in some way.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #112
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I'd imagine Australia would be denying itself a lot of American tourist dollars if it didn't accommodate US credit and ATM cards in some way.
Americans aren't denied spending money, it is just more inconvenient in some places, and the fraud savings from CHIP and PIN is worth it for most every country.

Credit cards will only be a problem at unattended kiosks, such as the parking lots one encounters all over the UK and the one I encountered in Canada.

Similarly with ATM machines, to get cash one would have to get it inside a bank or at a money exchange where there is an attendant with a swipe machine. (I don't know that ATM's only take CHIP and PIN in Australia, but I'm expecting that to be the case since my US ATM card didn't work in the one I tried in Dublin last year)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

For what it's worth, at many US gas stations I cannot just insert my credit card and pump gas. Since I do not have a Zip code, the gas pump rejects me. I have to go inside, have the attendant register a limit on my credit card and open the pump, go outside, pump the gas, return inside to complete the transaction and retrieve my credit card.

I recently read that there is a dummy number one can use for a Zip code. Must look that up before my next road trip to the US.

Edited to add:

Ah yes, here it is!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle13463053/
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #114
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
For what it's worth, at many US gas stations I cannot just insert my credit card and pump gas. Since I do not have a Zip code, the gas pump rejects me. I have to go inside, have the attendant register a limit on my credit card and open the pump, go outside, pump the gas, return inside to complete the transaction and retrieve my credit card.

I recently read that there is a dummy number one can use for a Zip code. Must look that up before my next road trip to the US.

Edited to add:

Ah yes, here it is!

Finally! Canadians able to pay at U.S. pumps with credit again - The Globe and Mail
Cool, I assumed cards with a foreign address were stuck with the inconvenience of having to pay inside.

We have had similar issues paying for vacations/cruises in the UK as the systems only accept cards with a UK address. Last year we actually had to get SIL to pay for our package to Spain on her credit card and we immediately transferred the money to her. (Even though we had a UK card to pay for it the card is linked to our Texas address).
Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Some years ago a team member left our organization to move to NYC with her husband. Some time later they had a baby. We decided to send them a gift card from a major NYC store. Ordering online proved to be problematic, so I called on the phone. Sak's Fifth Avenue's Customer Service Department informed me that Sak's "do not sell to foreigners". WTF??

We went with Macy's, who had no problem accepting Canadian money.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #116
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Some years ago a team member left our organization to move to NYC with her husband. Some time later they had a baby. We decided to send them a gift card from a major NYC store. Ordering online proved to be problematic, so I called on the phone. Sak's Fifth Avenue's Customer Service Department informed me that Sak's "do not sell to foreigners". WTF??

We went with Macy's, who had no problem accepting Canadian money.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I've never had a problem using my old fashioned stripped ATM card in a European ATM machine. Now, credit cards have been a problem when the only way to get a train ticket is a machine and it does not like my non chipped card. Usually, I get plenty of local cash. Most everybody and everything accepts that.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've never had a problem using my old fashioned stripped ATM card in a European ATM machine....
+1 for New Zealand (similar systems to Australia), Central America and Carri bean Islands (when I can find an ATM) as well as anywhere in the EU.

I do limit my PIN to four (4) digits since this used to be a limitation on some ATM machines.

I have run into issues with USA based credit cards at unattended kiosks and small merchants; so, I do carry more cash (for the small merchants) when traveling than I do at home, small bills being much more useful.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've never had a problem using my old fashioned stripped ATM card in a European ATM machine. Now, credit cards have been a problem when the only way to get a train ticket is a machine and it does not like my non chipped card. Usually, I get plenty of local cash. Most everybody and everything accepts that.
Me neither.

I never take a lot of USD to exchange or travelers checks.

Try to use credit card whenever possible.

I'm sure though that the day will come when you need a chipped ATM card. But I think the PIN is less problematic than card which require signature.

A card with mag stripe can be easily counterfeited. But the mass counterfeiters can't work around needing to know the PINs that go with a particular ATM card.

A thief could spy you entering your PIN and pickpocket you after observing the PIN but that's a low probability. Now if they confronted you and forced you to give up your card and PIN or robbed you after you made a withdrawal, that's a more likely to succeed criminal strategy than stealing/cloning and spying your PIN.

But violent crime is not what these thieves are about. They want to steAl the info and steal money before the theft is detected. Violent crime is going to be reported right away.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was on the USAA site yesterday and they said they would be replacing card with chip and pin, starting 2014 and would be complete by 2016. They also said if you were planning a trip to Europe the would replace your card on request now.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote