Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #681
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
But you have to go in the winter to see the Northern Lights I believe.
Not at all - I saw them (from the plane, anyway). September-May is best, I'll agree.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #682
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I don't know about mushrooms. I'm not a big fan of indigenous Austrian cooking, which is often schnitzel or some kind of boiled beef or pork. Had some great risotto which came with some grilled beef filets. It had chanterelles and I often saw menu items with chanterelles.

I don't know if those are indigenous to Austria?
Austrians promote telling you that kangaroos are not indigenous there. Many signs & items for sale saying so.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #683
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
I gather you haven't been to Iceland, then. I just traveled from Zurich to Reykjavik, and can promise you that Switzerland is bargain-basement compared to Iceland. Oslo, Norway is also far pricier than Switzerland. I'll agree that Switzerland is more expensive than most countries, but nothing prepared me for the sticker shock in Reykjavik.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll go elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #684
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I know you addressed this to jonat, but here are a few examples from my trip last month: Horsemeat steak with baked potato and salad, $36 before drinks or dessert (posted outside- did not try it). Long lines every day outside hot dog stand where one went for $4.50. Large plastic cup of fresh veggies and dip (similar to those found in convenience stores here)- $7. Dinner with a friend- two medium-size pizzas and 4 beers- $62.
Lucerne: medium-large pizza, large salad, 500 mL bottle sparkling water, 500 mL house wine: $60.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #685
gone traveling

Quote:
50cl flask of house wine - $35. (Alcohol is VERY expensive - one is advised to stock up at the airport store before heading into town if you can.) The $4.50 hot dog is actually pretty good for the price (had one yesterday). But I bought a simple wool cap and two pairs of Polarfleece gloves, not even made in Iceland - $150.

Some things seem expensive but are worth it - the Braud & Co. cinnamon rolls, at $4.50, for example. But last night my wife and I had dinner for two (set menu) with 50cl wine - $210.
I make a point of taking 750 mL bourbon on trips to Europe & elsewhere out of USA. Saves a lot. Relaxing.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #686

Quote:
I gather you haven't been to Iceland, then. I just traveled from Zurich to Reykjavik, and can promise you that Switzerland is bargain-basement compared to Iceland.
I was in Lucerne and Zurich last week, and although everything is very expensive, I would say that Iceland prices are pretty comparable (my last trip there was in 2014).
Old 09-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #687
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I make a point of taking 750 mL bourbon on trips to Europe & elsewhere out of USA. Saves a lot. Relaxing.
Yeah, I got by with a very nice bottle of Scotch I picked up in Boston Duty-Free before I left the US. Still had some when I returned home.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #688
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Good to know. Thanks. I'll go elsewhere.
Too bad - you'll miss a fun town (and people.)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #689
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I gather you haven't been to Iceland, then. I just traveled from Zurich to Reykjavik, and can promise you that Switzerland is bargain-basement compared to Iceland. Oslo, Norway is also far pricier than Switzerland. I'll agree that Switzerland is more expensive than most countries, but nothing prepared me for the sticker shock in Reykjavik.
I've never been to Iceland so I don't have an opinion on this, but I see that numbeo disagrees with you: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ayCurrency=USD
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #690
Recycles dryer sheets

That site seems to focus on cost of living, not cost of visiting. I can speak only from my own experience, going from one to the other directly and having spent several days in each.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #691
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That site seems to focus on cost of living, not cost of visiting.
That's a fair comment. Usually I wouldn't expect that the city that's 20% more expensive to live in would also be a relative "bargain basement" for travelers, but maybe Reykjavik is special. In this survey of costs for travelers, Reykjavik is the 2nd-most expensive European city--2nd only to Zurich: https://www.priceoftravel.com/2427/e...raveler-index/
Cricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #692
Full time employment: Posting here.

Barclaycard Arrival+ Mastercard

I just returned from a trip to Munich for Oktorberfest (definitely something to do at least once if you enjoy beer and crowds) where I used my Barclaycard in several different situations. In Munich's main airport, the card required me to enter a PIN when I used it to buy a train/metro pass (Isarcard) from a machine. I did have my PIN with me, written on a piece of paper!, so I was able to complete the transaction. However, I did not have my PIN handy when I tried to use my card to buy groceries from a self-checkout machine, so I had to use Euros. I was not prompted for a PIN when I used the card to buy some souvenirs at a shop where an attendant handled the transaction. In summary, I did not encounter any situation where my card didn't work if you ignore the stupid user issue.

Regarding Reykajavik, I was chatting with 2 travelers in the border control line coming home and they said buying food there was very expensive. At least 50% more than what I spent in Munich. They bought food in markets to save money.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #693
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I used our Chase no fee, no FX cashback card in Berlin and France everywhere. Also used NFC in several merchants. Tolls was the most convenient.

In one parking lot, it was rejected and they would not accept my Euros! After many tries, I switched to another machine and the CC worked fine.

All restaurants accepted the tip amount added to the bill. And thanked us.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:48 AM   #694
Give me a forum ...

That's interesting that in your experience every restaurant accepted adding the tip to the bill. For our extended Netherlands and some Germany trip this summer, only one restaurant offered that option.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #695
Recycles dryer sheets

Tipping is still uncommon in Europe, though as more and more American tourists, who are accustomed to tipping visit, it is showing up with increasing frequency. On my recent travels through multiple European countries, the option to tip at restaurants was in the minority.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tipping is still uncommon in Europe, though as more and more American tourists, who are accustomed to tipping visit, it is showing up with increasing frequency. On my recent travels through multiple European countries, the option to tip at restaurants was in the minority.
The option is always there to leave some cash on the table or the tip. And I don't think it's that uncommon for Europeans to tip. It's just much smaller amounts and left in cash, or refusal to take change or only taking part of the change when paying in cash. I've seen Europeans do the last two pretty often.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #697
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's interesting that in your experience every restaurant accepted adding the tip to the bill. For our extended Netherlands and some Germany trip this summer, only one restaurant offered that option.
It was never offered. I would just say: Please make the amount XX and they would say thank you and proceed with the transaction. In Germany and France. No one ever refused to do it. They always seemed to understand.

It saved carrying a bunch of small change around. And I never noticed lots of change left on tables so I am thinking that others do the same thing. I used 10% as a guideline. More for exceptional service.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #698
Give me a forum ...

I just spent 5 days in Ireland. I did not use cash even once. For small purchases I used contactless payment. For larger purchases, I used Chip and PIN. I was always offered a choice between billing in Euros or in Canadian dollars (better exchange rates with the latter). WiFi was everywhere I went. The technology appears to be at the same level as in Canada.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #699
Give me a forum ...

Here's an update: I got a new Chip-and-Pin card from 1st Tech. I plan to use it in Canada and Europe, and I was wondering how I can check to make sure it's working.

A few days ago I wandered into a local grocery store that is owned by Kroger. I slipped the card into the machine expecting to have to sign a slip as usual. Instead, up popped a message asking me to enter my pin!!!! I did and it worked, showing Pin Verification on the receipt.

One problem: The request for my pin was in Spanish.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One problem: The request for my pin was in Spanish.
I suspect it's a setting in the individual machine.

Last week I was using mine often in Sweden. About half the time it asked me for the PIN in Swedish, the rest of the time it asked in English. Not a big deal IMHO because it's pretty easy to figure out what it wants.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote