Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, the chip did not need to be duplicated to do an online transaction. But somehow they got at least your number and expiration.
That's what I said. The on-line transaction DID NOT go through for the Fraud Charge.

The two transactions that were posted and fraudulent went through in person at a chip reader.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
I got an e-mail from Chase. What city are you in? we spent 3 months in Hervey Bay.
We spent three days in Brisbane, a month in Byron Bay, two nights in Hervey Bay (we did the two day Fraser Island tour and loved it!), two nights in Gladstone, four nights on Heron Island, one week in Airlie Beach and we leave tomorrow for eight nights in Cairns. Then we fly to Sydney for three nights before taking a 40 day Holland America Cruise.

How did you enjoy your stay in Hervey Bay? The town was much bigger than I expected.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Helen, if that makes you feel comfortable and secure, then good.

But your credit card information goes through data centers and it can be hacked from there -- even the credit cards that never leave your house.

If you use a credit card, there is some possibility that it can be compromised.
So far I've not had a credit card hacked but I have lost my wallet and or credit card numerous times. So if nothing else, this protects me from myself.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:07 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. Just shows nothing is foolproof. Luckily I have never had a cc hacked. Probably just a matter of time......
Old 03-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We spent three days in Brisbane, a month in Byron Bay, two nights in Hervey Bay (we did the two day Fraser Island tour and loved it!), two nights in Gladstone, four nights on Heron Island, one week in Airlie Beach and we leave tomorrow for eight nights in Cairns. Then we fly to Sydney for three nights before taking a 40 day Holland America Cruise.

How did you enjoy your stay in Hervey Bay? The town was much bigger than I expected.
Hervey Bay was a perfect place to base out of. We spent the entire 3 months in Hervey Bay. And from there I fished in Hervey Bay and offshore, did Fraser Island, Lady Elliot island. Perfect weather and amazing wildlife.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Helen, if that makes you feel comfortable and secure, then good.

But your credit card information goes through data centers and it can be hacked from there -- even the credit cards that never leave your house.

If you use a credit card, there is some possibility that it can be compromised.
Sure, although that card is much less exposed if never handed to someone, used at a retail POS or for online purchases.

For over 10 years I have used a segregated credit card for certain monthly autopay bills that otherwise never leaves the firesafe, and so far so good. Whereas other cards have been routinely compromised.

Sure, I might still have to deal with a compromise one day. And then I can tell the issuer exactly where and only where it has been used.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #27

Another security feature I sometimes use is BofA's ShopSafe. It generates a one time use credit card number for online use. I use this when paying an online merchant I'm not familiar with - if they don't offer Apple Pay.

It's accessible from their website, but not from their mobile app. Not sure why.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

For over 10 years I have used a segregated credit card for certain monthly autopay bills that otherwise never leaves the firesafe, and so far so good. Whereas other cards have been routinely compromised.

+1 except for only 4 years. lol
Would be very surprised if THIS card got hacked.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Another security feature I sometimes use is BofA's ShopSafe. It generates a one time use credit card number for online use. I use this when paying an online merchant I'm not familiar with - if they don't offer Apple Pay.

It's accessible from their website, but not from their mobile app. Not sure why.
Didn't know about this feature. Sounds great. Will check it out.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #30

Shopsafe is perfect for those things that force you to enter a card, even though there's no charge (at the moment). In those deals, they often make you cancel to avoid the eventual subscription. That might involve so many hoops. Since the Shopsafe card has it's own limit, they can't get any more than that. BTW, I tried to set the limit really low ... $5 and didn't pass muster with the merchant. But it's a handy tool.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote