Join Early Retirement Today

Choosing between a better house or more savings
Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Choosing between a better house or more savings

We recently moved to to TN, following my decision to semi-ER. For now we're renting, but the house hunting process has quickly uncovered a small dilemma...it seems that for us, the difference between a "nice" house and one that is just sort of OK amounts to about $50k. This isn't a show stopper in the scheme of things but it does represent a perpetual $2000/yr in SWR spending, a useful sum.

So, the question is: Which will contribute more to our overall quality of life...a somewhat nicer house or the extra $2000 bucks per year in discretionary spending? I know this is a Very subjective call but I wonder how others might view this trade-off? Maybe I'm just asking for it given this LBYM crowd
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Choosing between a better house or more savings
Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Get the nicer house. You'll never regret it.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder if waiting a bit to see if prices come down might be the thing to do. If it does then the nicer house can be bought for the lower price making everyone happy.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
I know this is a Very subjective call...
It sure is. Everyone's circumstances are different, but we opted to spend a little extra money to get the "right" house for our retirement. Since we spend a lot more time here, it seems only reasonable that it be someplace we really like.

But that's just us...

Old 10-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #5

Depends on what you are going to spend the 2k on
Old 10-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would say it depends on the size of your portfolio. If you are going to have to squeeze it hard to live comfortably, then I say buy the cheaper. If there is more wiggle room, then go for what you like.

Picking a good neighborhood is more important than house size (unless you have a lot of kids at home) If not, a smaller house in a nice neighborhood will work just fine for most people.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get the house! There are many of us that wish we had such a choice. In some parts of the country, it takes a lot more cash to make much difference. It's a small amount to pay to go from "OK", to really nice. You should also look at the difference in expenses (taxes, utilities, maintainance, etc.) for one home vs. the other. I would think the ongoing expenses would be more of a determinant than an add'l 50k up front. The 2k per year might be offset in some other fashion.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #8

Everyone has different ideas of what makes a house "nice". If you are considering spending 50k to get granite counters, designer wallpaper, and a pool, then I would say think carefully. If you're paying 50k for a home that is more solidly built, in a safer neighborhood, and has needed space then it's something to consider.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The problem with the question is you do not say what you get for the $50K...

Let me give an example.. I recently was surveyed and they were asking me about townhouses in my area... some of the questions were 'would you pay $50K more to be on the third floor?".. or, would you pay $35K more for a deck... I said 'NO'.. the value for these items were not that much to me...

BUT, if the value is that much better.. then buy the better house..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #10

I'd go for the house! - $50K in the housing market is not that much. If your decision was spending $400K or $700K - I'd advise the $400K.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #11

What part of Tennessee you buying in? I'm currently in the process of buying a house in northern Georgia, just south of Chattanooga. I have found that I get more for my money in Ga, than Tn. Downside is Georgia does have a state income tax but also less sales tax.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #12

$2K/yr is less than $200 a month to live a "nice" house -- no brainer - go for it.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes take the house!
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the good replies to my question...the concensus seems to weigh in for getting the better house, which is also the way I was leaning In our price range 50k means maybe a few more sq ft, some wood floors vs all carpet, slightly bigger yard, all brick vs some siding, nicer kitchen, perhaps a better look and feel of the neighborhood, or the like. None of these things really change your life but as REW said, we spend a lot of time at home and small deficiencies do seem to grow more noticeable over time.

50k is a significant chunk but that SWR derived $2000/yr in spending won't change our recreation patterns that much, it's not like that would fly us to New Zealand for 2 weeks. As long as it doesn't gut the wine budget we'll be just fine

RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:07 AM   #15

From my perspective it will also depend on how much time you are going to be there. If you are going to be 90% there with an occasional vacation then the high cost house makes sense. If you were going to use it as a base for a high level of traveling, I'd encourage cheap and simple.

The other key issues is resale. "Cheap" houses are frequently that way for a reason. Unless your goal is to die in that house, resale is always a key consideration.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #16

My experience, after buying five houses and recently a townhome, is that I have never regretted buying a house that I would love but I have regretted buying a house that would be ok for the time being. I always wanted to move ASAP from the "OK" house, and ended up moving more often than I might have if I had stretched a little to buy a house I loved. But, of course, working within your means is important.

Having a home I love, where I feel comfortable, is a top priority for me. I wonder if women view this differently than men?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
Having a home I love, where I feel comfortable, is a top priority for me. I wonder if women view this differently than men?
I don't think so, although the particular amenities may vary. For me, no shop, no garage, no yard = yuuuch. Others would have their own priorities of course.