Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Christmas presents
Old 12-05-2004, 09:28 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

While trying to do as much of my Christmas shopping without leaving work or the house, I have found a great place for gifts--Penzeys spices. Nice, boxed sets of good spices at reasonable prices. We have bought from Penzeys before and their stuff is good quality. www.penzeys.com

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

LovesLife, I can relate this year to the one you had last year. My mother passed away seveal years ago, and my Dad just 6 weeks ago. The commercial aspects of the holiday give me a stomachache, and the spiritual part winds up with me in tears. Bah, humbug... for now anyway.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Just when my extended family (cousins and such) finally decided to stop the gift exchanges, I marry into a family that does them. It drives me nuts. In protest I only buy gift cards for it.

I still enjoy searching for personal gifts for my parents and siblings, but I'm a bargain shopper and start my shopping in January.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #24

I just hand cash (for me it is $10 each but it could be anything that fits your budget) to the nieces and nephews that I see during the holidays. Some of the nieces and nephews I have not seen in over 5 years due to divorce. I do not see them enough to know what they want. Even the 2 year old is happy to get "paper" money.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
LovesLife, I can relate this year to the one you had last year. My mother passed away seveal years ago, and my Dad just 6 weeks ago. The commercial aspects of the holiday give me a stomachache, and the spiritual part winds up with me in tears. Bah, humbug... for now anyway.
IndyMom,

I am sorry about the recent loss of your dad. It's really hard not to be someone's daughter any more, especially not "Daddy's girl" I'm not sure if anyone else really understands this. Already I am tired of the stress of this holiday. It seems to headed in the same direction as last year

LovesLife
usually, except at Christmas
Old 12-06-2004, 04:16 PM   #26

Now, this is interesting. I have not lost anyone lately,
and I am sorry for those who have.
For me, Christmas over the years is one of my least
enjoyable times. Truly, although I enjoy some aspects,
for most of my adult life it's been a terrible chore. It's
better now. Looking back sometimes makes
things seem much better than they were at the time;
in the case of Christmas my memories have only confirmed what a bad experience it was.
BTW, I love the holidays and am not the least bit
anti-Christian, it's just the ways in which I was
compelled to participate for over 30 years. Some of it was great, but overall...........................
Bah Humbug!!

John Galt
Old 12-06-2004, 05:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

JG,
Even if your participation was forced, it may have given your kids better memories than you have. Mine are dancing with my dad to the waltz in the Nutcracker Suite, decorating our tree (after he personally inspected each big-bulb light), and sneaking pieces of turkey as he carved it and pretended to chase me away. So, your efforts might have been worth it to them.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:26 AM   #28

Could be. Hope so.

JG
Old 12-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I often liked to get my wife gold jewelry, nice medium grade stone jewelry like sapphires, perfume, hot clothes, etc. I don't really feel rich enough to continue that so lately I am kind of at a loss about Christmas presents for her.

Much that she is really interested in has to do with music. Some scores are really expensive, and I don't know my way around the field at all. So shopping is generally a stressful experience.

My grown kids either don't really need anything, or the things they want are very esoteric and specialized. So it is hard for me not to make mistakes.

They do like the clothes that wife and I buy them. I know because they wear them a lot. So we go to a downtown mall that is fun anyway, find some sharp looking gay guy in a men's store, and get some help. We actually started doing this before "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" came along. But you have to admit, Bo knows baseball, and gay men know fashion. Our sons' women really appreciate the stuff we get their guys, and also the stuff we get them.

I have never liked to get or give cash gifts. I know it is a whole lot easier, but a little impersonal from where I sit. One Christmas when we still only had one son he and my wife gave me a professional level Rawlings ball glove. Now every time that I get out to throw a little, I am reminded of the love that went into that gift. I want to try to do the same for those that I love. You can't always hit it that well, but it's good to try IMO.

As a retired person, if I don't have time or interest to look around a little, think about someone, talk to their mom or dad or SO, then I am just a lazy guy IMO. I do think a family exchange with sibs etc would be good, but not likely to happen in my family.

One of my favorite gifts to give or get is food or booze. Something a little special. I always am given a bottle of Liniae Aquavit. Wonderful Norwegian stuff that as part of its aging process has to cross the equator on a ship. Has an anise taste, not to mention the equatorial romance.

When I had a farm in KY, I would pick up some country hams from a small butcher around there, and give one to my Mom and Dad. I also would send some extra classy US Prime steaks from a butcher I got an account with in Cincy where they all lived. I would send a card, and he would call them when they could pick up the steaks.

Many people have too much money, so very little actually pleases them. This is where I tend to give up, and just drop out. It sometimes causes hard feelings, but I can't shop when I feel more hostility than love.

Come to think of it, Christmas is a tricky time of year!

Mikey
Old 12-07-2004, 01:41 PM   #30

Quote:
I often liked to get my wife gold jewelry, nice medium grade stone jewelry like sapphires, perfume, hot clothes, etc. I don't really feel rich enough to continue that so lately I am kind of at a loss about Christmas presents for her. Not to mention my somewhat mixed feelings about becoming semi-single, whatever that is.
mikey,

You're buying gifts for your Ex!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:46 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Mikey,

One of my favorite presents was actually a well thought out event. What it really boiled down to was spending a whole evening out with my best friend. I got tickets to a wonderful concert (there's the music part for you) that was held in a different city from us. We stayed at a nice hotel and had a wonderful dinner first before the concert. Afterwards, we rented a PPV and shared a bottle of wine. Maybe if you could arrange something like this with your wife, she would appreciate and love the time spent just with you. Sometimes it's not about the money, but the effort put into it.

My Christmas wish to you is peace in your heart.

LovesLife,
I really do.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
mikey,
You're buying gifts for your Ex!
Not an ex-just a wife who doesn't want to live with me. It is waaaay to long a story, and I don't understand either.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My Christmas wish to you is peace in your heart.
LovesLife, Thank you for your sweet wish, and also for your gift suggestion. Best wished to you also.

BTW, what is a PPV?

Mikey
Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

PPV is pay per view, at least in my book.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not an ex-just a wife who doesn't want to live with me. It is waaaay to long a story, and I don't understand either.
Hey, it worked for Susan & Warren Buffett, right?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:53 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Tough time of year eh ? *I don't have much immediate family so this one is pretty easy. *My friends and I don't exchange gifts as most of my friends don't make much money, and anyway, what's the point ? *I have them over for dinner beers and movies and they do the same, good enough ! *I don't really get anything for my sister or brother in law except maybe a nice big bottle of Vodka or some wine. *I have young nephews and a little older niece that I have to admit I love buying for. *Well, the niece is tricky, girl stuff ain't easy, but the boys are always fun, checking out the new stuff, etc. *My mom is impossible to buy for, so that's always a tough one. *She invariably wants gloves or something like that. *Functional, but not as much fun. * I won't get her stuff for the same reason I don't like getting stuff, it ends up in a closet with other "stuff " ! *Anyway, the nieces and nephews cost me a bit, but it is kinda fun for to get em' stuff. *
BTW, for you last miute shoppers, some friends and I have a tried and true ritual. *The last few days before Christmas we meet at a TGIF, or whatever bar/restraunt your mall has, have a light dinner with plenty of cocktails, then go shopping ! *It's like Blitzkrieg warfare on the mall ! *

Enjoy and Merry Christmas ! *(Sorry, I ain't buying into that happy holiday politically correct crap !)

-Pan-
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Enjoy and Merry Christmas ! *(Sorry, I ain't buying into that happy holiday politically correct crap !)

-Pan-
Me neither! - Happy Hanukkah!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:07 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Good job Cut-Throat ! Thanks for the chuckle !

-Pan-
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:24 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heres a fine/fun gift for the coffee drinker. Buy a coffee bean grinder and small amounts of different whole bean coffees. These type are usually sold by the pound anyway so just a few ounces of about 8 - 12 different types.

Remove the identification and gift wrap the beans in numbered containers. You can go crazy here with fancy wrap and jars or just envelopes. Tell the receipient to rate the coffees and when finished (this could take weeks) then reveal the coffee bean types.

I got this gift and was amazed by my choice. For me, the expensive stuff really didnt bring anything to the table. Plus for us coffee-holics, theres nothing like fresh ground.

BUM