Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Christmastime and spending expectations
Old 01-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Christmastime and spending expectations

This was my first Christmas as a "retired" person. I'm now living on a more limited budget than when I was working, and this raised a little bit of tension at Christmastime, with people expecting me to spend like I did when I was working.

When I was working I would contribute much more than my share towards group expenses like groceries, eating out, entertainment, and such. That seemed fair as my sister never has enough money and my uncle is an artist living on a very low budget. But now that I'm FIRE'd, I'm spending about the same per year as my sister, and watching my pennies just like my uncle. And I'm spending less per year than my parents spend on themselves. So I didn't contribute as much towards group expenses this year.

This ruffled feathers all around, as everyone else had to kick in a little more than they were used to.

This raises the question of what is reasonable... should I contribute according to my yearly spending budget (meaning small contributions), or according to my net worth (at least twice that of any other family members, meaning higher contributions). Or, as I'm learning might be best, just contribute what I feel comfortable with.

This sort of issue is coming up for me in other contexts... for instance deciding how much to contribute to my place of worship. On the one hand I'm blessed with much more time and savings than most people my age (mid-thirties) but on the other hand I am living on a much more limited budget than most people around me. I do believe in giving according to one's means, but I'm not sure what my means are.

I'd be curious to hear how y'all handle deciding these things.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Christmastime and spending expectations
Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I struggle with this too. To make the retirement nestegg last, I have to limit my spending on relatives and causes to what fits within my budget. There may be an emergency that breaks the budget, but that will mean living tight for a while. But I don't consider holidays an emergency. I made the decision to retire early, which is a selfish decision. Now that I have made the decision it will do nobody much good to live beyond my means. If there is money left after we die, that excess can then go to help others.

I told my relatives that I made the decision to retire, that I felt I had worked hard long enough. This would mean me spending less on them and that they couldn't always count on my coming through. But I also said that if an emergency comes up, ask for help for goodness sakes. We would figure it out one way or another. My relatives are not spendthrifts plus they have a hard time asking for help even when they need it. If they wasted money I would have a different plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now

This ruffled feathers all around, as everyone else had to kick in a little more than they were used to.
As this was discretionary spending, they didn't have to kick in more, the celebration could have been toned down instead, couldn't it? I wouldn't feel guilty about the ruffled feathers.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This was my first Christmas as a "retired" person. I'm now living on a more limited budget than when I was working, and this raised a little bit of tension at Christmastime, with people expecting me to spend like I did when I was working.
Like Martha says, it sounds like your family needs a new set of holiday traditions. Holidays are hard enough without the smoldering resentment over money issues.

I much prefer to donate my time than my money. The former is comparatively worthless (or at least in greater abundance) and unlikely to be wasted, while the latter is less available and can't afford to be wasted.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, first of all, people often react negatively when things change. It's not fair, but that's human nature. But you've made the change, and now they can get used to it.

Quote:
Or, as I'm learning might be best, just contribute what I feel comfortable with.
I think this is best. You don't "owe" your relations any of this. It's a gift, and if the giver is not comfortable giving, than something is not right. It doesn't matter how much something is taken for granted or received poorly, it's still a gift.

Quote:
This sort of issue is coming up for me in other contexts... for instance deciding how much to contribute to my place of worship. On the one hand I'm blessed with much more time and savings than most people my age (mid-thirties) but on the other hand I am living on a much more limited budget than most people around me. I do believe in giving according to one's means, but I'm not sure what my means are.
Well now you are blessed with more of a very valuable commodity - your time. So, if you are so inclined, contribute more of your time and be less concerned about contributing money.

Audrey
Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #5

This is interesting to me as I am still working, however, I rarely give large gifts during Christmas---I'm good at several hobbies (knitting and cooking) and so I send handmade gifts - my time is valuable and most of my relatives know that to hand knit a shawl or sweater or socks is time consuming. I guess I'll be fine when I retire as I'm like Southwest - my 'customers' have low expectations :-)

Deserat
Old 01-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent $700 on gifts, and I feel like I was able to get really nice things for the people on my list. Admittedly I have a short list.

My son finally graduated from university, so I am giving him a really nice Canon XTI digital SLR camera. He deserves it- he put himself through a math major/applied math minor, with no financial help from me, and only a little from a small inheritance he got. He nevertheless is carrying very little student loan debt.

Additionally, he managed to meet and marry an outstanding woman, survive a bit of unemployment, come out with a better job than before, and feed the snowboarding monkey on his back.

Ha
Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would argue that your "means" is your annual FIRE budget, not your networth (even if that is larger than other family members), and that spending, whether for gifts, donations, or anything else that can be planned must fit within that budget.

Your time, as others have said, is now more plentiful. For those of us still w*orking, time is a very valuable commodity.

Most non-profits and, I assume faith communities, track volunteer hours and often assign a $$ value to that time as a contribution.

As for family, yes, change is hard, especially if they were not part of the decision. So, start talking now for next year and by then your "gifts" can be repairs, errands, or chores that family members would have to pay someone else to do beucase they don't have the time!
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

tell them that christmas in cancelled

seriously i dont understand christmas peer pressure, I just dont bother with any of it
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #9

We have a new family tradition which we started this year. If you're over 18 you don't get a gift and you don't buy gifts.

It made the whole season so much more enjoyable.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I have found a home.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
We have a new family tradition which we started this year. If you're over 18 you don't get a gift and you don't buy gifts.

It made the whole season so much more enjoyable.

My family and I all spend no more than $20 - 30 per person for gifts. So there are boxes under the tree, but minimal stress.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote