Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Owner of the dealership where my gal has been service manager and more recently part time warranty clerk for over 25 years got a FedEx a few days ago - that small town GM dealership will be phased out by October 2010. While the dealership may change over to used cars only, my gal's GM warranty chops will no longer be in demand. Not bad timing for us, but would hate to see that family dealership go bust - two brothers, inherited from their Dad, kids, wives of kids - and a good family. They have been keeping the place open in the face of large monthly losses and keeping a number of employee families going too. Primary has mortgaged his home and is borrowing to keep the doors open. Sucks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In our little town there were 2 Chrysler dealers, one closed some months ago when the owner torched 4 new cars, then had heart attack. He had a GM/Jeep dealership combined. The other is a Ford/Chrysler dealer. Both dealerships are listed as closing the Chrysler line. So town is now down to one Ford dealer. We'll see what Ford does with closings.

Given their volume my guess would be that the Ford dealer will be history too.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, being In Business for many yrs.. When Dealing with 'Questionable' Clients or businesses? We Deposited the Checks, but Tried to get them Certified or the Funds secured at their Bank by My Bank and /or Did not Post the Dep/credit Until It was collected by my bank... they would notify us when this was done..

Most dealers in my area have gone to having sevearl Different Kinds of Mfg. /names to Diversify.. From Chrysler's to Sports cars to European & Japanese Cars all under one roof..

mergers will be a big hedge as well..

And I have no Doubts, Fiat is going to slowly disolve Chrysler's over the comming yrs to get their cars in the USA again.. I just hope their's are alot better than the old days back in the 60's/70's ..they were really junk back then..

Only Chrysler I ever drove was ? The Jeeps made by them in the Army..! LOL
Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
On the flip side this is a great time for consumers who need a new GM or Chrysler vehicle to pick up a bargin. If you can find one of these forced-terminated dealers who are now desperatly needing to get rid of all their inventory I'm pretty sure they will do their own version of a "short sale". I can't say how much they less they will take than they owe, but if they are facing personal financial ruin I think it could be thousands under dealer cost. Better to lose a few thousand each on 100 units than the entire $3 million or so.
Chrysler doesn't make anything I want to buy, except for maybe a Dodge p/u, if I could get a really good bargain on one.

And I was tempted when I saw a local dealer say that he was having a hell of a sale. Then they talked about which specific stores he owned and I lost all interest. The only place that made his stores look respectable was Bill Heard, and since that group of pirates has gone out of business there is no competition. His Dodge store is where I went when I was looking at a used car for my son a couple of years ago. They had something that looked decent that I was interested in, but going in I doubted we would be able to make a fair deal. I wound up almost having to fight my way out of the store after some really egregious b.s. on the salesman's part. When he couldn't con us to stay, he fell on the floor crying "please don't go" as we walked out the front door.

Last night I did some online searches for Dodge p/u's and found something really interesting. This dealer has jacked up the prices on everything by about $9,000 over the MSRP.

Still, I was tempted because I figured they would make a good deal if I went in there prepared to do battle. But then I had visions of the MSO never being delivered to the DMV, and my new truck being hauled off by some repo man because the dealership hadn't paid off the floor plan. I think the last place I want to be is in the middle of a battle between a bankrupt dealer and a bankrupt manufacturer.

Trading in a vehicle that you still own money on is also something I would avoid with any of these guys. Your trade could disappear into a black hole while your lender never got the payoff.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Trading in a vehicle that you still own money on is also something I would avoid with any of these guys. Your trade could disappear into a black hole while your lender never got the payoff.
That's a good point. There have been a number of instances I have heard about (a local tractor dealership did this to some old clients of mine) where the dealer did not pay off the trade. I would ask for a copy of the check that was sent in to payoff the trade, or just pay it off yourself if you can since that payoff check could bounce. Most folks cannot pay their trade off themselves however because they are living check to check.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Most folks cannot pay their trade off themselves however because they are living check to check.
The only place I ever worked that had a lot of paid off trades was a Cadillac/Buick dealer. Almost everyone with a newer car is upside down, I would say 95% or so..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Sooo... I was out walking today during my 2 hr lunch, and as I walked by the soon to be defunct Dodge dealership, I saw some pretty nice bargains that caught my eye. A whole row of Dodge Journeys, seats 7, best described as a crossover vehicle (not quite SUV, not quite minivan) - red tag in the window with an advertised price a little over $6000 off msrp - somewhere around $16,000 list for the lowest priced one they had on the lot. Similarly good deals on rams, their other smaller pickups, and the caliber. I imagine that is the starting point for negotiations, and you could probably knock a couple thousand off that price.

This was at a multiline place that sells mazda, hyundai, and another one or two I think.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
cardude - sorry to hear about your money issue - I do hope you get it someday.

I have a question - I just saw a guy on TV who owned a successful Chrysler dealership say Chrysler is 'moving' his dealership up the road to be combined with another one - he said he had been in business over 59 years and been successful. How can Chrysler dictate this? It reads as though you actually own the business - so it should be your decision as to whether or not you close or 'combine.' Is there something in the contract with Chrysler that allows this?

I had that newscast recorded and saw it this weekend....

NO, he is lying... they are not 'moving' his dealership down the road.. they are not going to let him be a dealer and because of this, the guy with a dealership down the road will likely pick up business that he otherwise would not get... but there is no way they can force the guy to give up his business.... (this is my opininon..)
Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Update: I drove by the local Dodge dealership that is losing its franchise. The lot was almost empty today. Just last week it was fairly full. They either sold some cars at a steep discount or sold them to another dealer.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Update: I drove by the local Dodge dealership that is losing its franchise. The lot was almost empty today. Just last week it was fairly full. They either sold some cars at a steep discount or sold them to another dealer.
Yep.

Only one Dodge dealership was given the axe here. They started TV ads last night saying they were offering big time discounts (whatever that means in the car bidness ) since they would have to sell any remaining inventory to other dealers at wholesale on June 6.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently some Chrysler dealers targeted for closing are not going to leave quietly:

Targeted dealers hit the brakes on Chrysler -- chicagotribune.com
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Apparently some Chrysler dealers targeted for closing are not going to leave quietly:

Targeted dealers hit the brakes on Chrysler -- chicagotribune.com
Heard this from a relative in the Midwest with close ties to the car business, have not been able to verify online, but apparently there are dealers signing on to a class-action lawsuit against Chrysler regarding the closures. Seems a disproportionate number of dealerships with non-union workforces were closed, even if they were profitable. Makes sense, in light of the UAW's role in the restructuring. Anyone else heard anything about this in your area?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Heard this from a relative in the Midwest with close ties to the car business, have not been able to verify online, but apparently there are dealers signing on to a class-action lawsuit against Chrysler regarding the closures. Seems a disproportionate number of dealerships with non-union workforces were closed, even if they were profitable. Makes sense, in light of the UAW's role in the restructuring. Anyone else heard anything about this in your area?
Yup,something like 400 dealers signed up in a class-action suit against Chrysler. I doubt its going anywhere, since most if not all dealer agreements are subject to being canceled by the manufacturer for any number of reasons, INCLUDING low sales volume.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote