Join Early Retirement Today

CITI just gave me 0% for 4 years on existing balances AND new purchases
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CITI just gave me 0% for 4 years on existing balances AND new purchases

Until today, I have been so ANTI Citi Bank I couldnt see straight. They really tried to screw me over on a 0% for life promo I've taken advantage of. As long as i made 2 purchases/month, my existing Balance Transfer would stay at 0% til paid in full. WELL, I put Paypaul subscription services on the card at $.22 per transaction 3x/month. Then, about 6 months ago, for some reason, the last 2 didnt post until AFTER the month was over, although I have Paypal receipts showing they were processed well in time. The terms though state that they must POST in the billing cycle...so if CITI delays posting, you are S-O-L.

I hounded them by phone, fax and email for the last 6 months...each month my $4500 balance would incur about $100 of finance charges and revert to a 20% rate....i'd call, argue, get transferred, they'd refund the charges and it'd start all over the next month.

Well, they must be sick of me. I just got a letter that states my entire balance and any new purchases will be at a 0% rate for the next 45 months. That's right....not only is the original $4500 at 0%, but I can use the card for purchases at 0%!!!! This amazes me. do I trust them? Hell no! But at least i can take my time paying off this $4500 bucks....$100/month...it's free money!

Yay me

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #2

Keep the letter in a really, really safe place.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Keep the letter in a really, really safe place.

luckily they sent me two...i put them in different places and scanned one to the pc!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

too bad i cant find the damned letters! i know they are SOMEWHERE though. they acknowledge sending the letter tho.

still charging me interest...still crediting it EVERY month

ridiculous
Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #5

Isn't CITI on the "Too Big To Fail" list ?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
luckily they sent me two...i put them in different places and scanned one to the pc!
Where is the scanned one

BTW, it is not $100 per month as that is not what YOU can earn with the money... I think the best is probably 2%.... which is $7.50 per month...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Where is the scanned one

BTW, it is not $100 per month as that is not what YOU can earn with the money... I think the best is probably 2%.... which is $7.50 per month...
cant find it. very odd
Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
cant find it. very odd

I think someone from Citi has come into your house and took the paper copies and deleted the scanned one so you do not have any proof anymore... why else would all three be gone!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #9

I feel a little bit bad today. Citi sent me a pre-approved 0% for one year on purchases and ballance transfers , offer , not the 4 year deal. Maybe if i take it , and start bugging them, I can get it converted to the same 4 year deal.

The fine print is actually large enough to read. 3% fee on ballance transfers , and the default rate is just 29.99% APR.

Another change , they now ask about income, and don't pre-approve 100,000 like a few years ago.