Join Early Retirement Today

Clark Howard prices car insurance by state
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clark Howard prices car insurance by state

Interesting article for those thinking of re-locating in RE. Cost of car insurance is something I had not considered before.

For example, by moving to FL from our up north home, the annual cost of car insurance increases about $800 per year, (per car, I assume).

https://clark.com/cars/car-auto-insu...ighest-lowest/
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #2

That's good information, but take it with a grain of salt.

We moved from one of the lowest cost states (Ohio) to one of the highest cost states (Kentucky). According to that site our insurance should have increased by almost 100% but it actually only went up about 50%.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Me thinks that the survey is a couple of years old... We have experienced two back to back increases of 20%. Friends that recently received renewals are claiming another 15 - 20% this year.

Our rates (even after making a change) are 30% higher than the amount quoted in the article - and we have a 2015 Camry and a 2008 Honda Accord.

Not sure where Clark gets his info from.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Interesting article for those thinking of re-locating in RE. Cost of car insurance is something I had not considered before.

For example, by moving to FL from our up north home, the annual cost of car insurance increases about $800 per year, (per car, I assume).

https://clark.com/cars/car-auto-insu...ighest-lowest/
I have to disagree with this one. We have been in Fla for 10 years. We have NEW cars every 3 years. Current is a 2018 BMW ~$60k MSRP. FULL Insurance is $368 every 6 months for both of us. That is about average per car for us.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I have to disagree with this one. We have been in Fla for 10 years. We have NEW cars every 3 years. Current is a 2018 BMW ~$60k MSRP. Insurance is $368 every 6 months for both of us. That is about average per car for us.
+1
We moved from NJ to Fla last year and our car insurance went down around 40%, not the ~12% expected increase per Clark Howard. As with ACA rates, it can matter substantially which part of FLA you are in, as our rates are still higher than ShokwaveRider and our cars are 4 and 6 yrs old including a BMW sports car.
However, we do hear many people from the Midwest complaining that their rates have gone way up.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #6

Having moved from IL to FL to retire I found my auto insurance doubled. I'm paying $600 every 6 months for 2017 Lincoln MKC ($45K MSRP), squeaky clean driving record. Also found that umbrella coverage is 3x more.

However, I now have lower property tax, less expensive ACA and no state income tax. Our home owners insurance is slightly less, and that's with hurricane coverage. So all that considered I'm still ahead of the game, plus I have much better weather. [emoji3]
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Having moved from IL to FL to retire I found my auto insurance doubled. I'm paying $600 every 6 months for 2017 Lincoln MKC ($45K MSRP), squeaky clean driving record. Also found that umbrella coverage is 3x more.

However, I now have lower property tax, less expensive ACA and no state income tax. Our home owners insurance is slightly less, and that's with hurricane coverage. So all that considered I'm still ahead of the game, plus I have much better weather. [emoji3]
We pay $2,400 yearly for 2 cars, so right in line with your rate. We also found Umbrella Insurance to be 2x-3x higher. This of course is wrapped up in the same reasoning as car insurance in a no fault state where enough people don't even carry car insurance.

+1 - can't beat the weather including the summer heat (works for us).
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #8

In Illinois, I am insuring both cars and my house(1197.00) for about the same price they are showing in the article for just auto insurance on one car. I understand they are only quoting the highest rated Insurance companies, and I am not insured by one of those. My auto went up about 10% this year and the homeowners went up less than 5%.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #9

Where you live in a state can also make a big difference. I live in a rural part of AZ and my auto insurance rates are probably half of what they would be in Phoenix, and I don't have to get the vehicle smog inspection.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Where you live in a state can also make a big difference. I live in a rural part of AZ and my auto insurance rates are probably half of what they would be in Phoenix, and I don't have to get the vehicle smog inspection.
Ditto on the location part.

We lived in SE Michigan(think Detroit, Ann Arbor so a few million people) until 2016, with owning a 2006 Ford Focus Wagon---so nothing fancy or expensive etc. Taking the insurance to the limits needed for our umbrella policy, the yearly, including collision was around $850. Thought that was pretty reasonable. Cancelled full coverage when we moved--- it went to about $450 per year.

We now live in the eastern Upper Pensisula, Chippewa County where there are 50K people in an area 2X the size of Rhode Island. Our recent vehicle purchase is a used 2015 Transit 150 van, 90% loaded. MSRP at that time was north of $42000.

Our insurance with the same full coverage when in SE MI coverage, same company will again be around $950 per year.

Location--location--- location
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

All the posts show that there are WAY too many variables to consider. I think the only real way to make an apples to apples comparison is to call your current insurer and run a hypothetical location and see what they come up with.

Here is the report that is used for the Clark.com article: https://www.thezebra.com/state-of-insurance/auto/2018/
Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
+2

Can make a very large difference.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post

Not sure where Clark gets his info from.
You'd have to look at the link posted in the OP, I guess.

From that link:
Quote:
That’s because car insurance rates are skyrocketing, particularly recently, according to a recent report from insurance search engine The Zebra. The findings, laid out in detail in the company’s State of Auto Insurance Report, reveal that auto insurance premiums have reached an all-time high and are up a whopping 20% from 2011.
The date of the report on Clark Howard's site is 28 Feb 2018.

What is "The Zebra"? They say they are:
Quote:
The Zebra, the nation’s leading insurance search engine and an independent source for pricing, coverage, and all things insurance, explores these rating factors and trends in the 2018 State of Auto Insurance Report.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Where you live in a state can also make a big difference.
Exactly. Louisiana is listed as second most expensive (after Michigan). However, insurance costs in New Orleans are much, much more expensive than in the rest of the state; local news media claim that our car insurance here in New Orleans is the most expensive in the country. I have no idea. I just pay.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote