Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire202052 View Post
Haha....had to laugh when I read this. Wonder where this guy is now. Funny how kids, mortgage, college, etc. can change your plans
He's still posting on the forum so you can send him a PM and ask.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

me too....
Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

me too....

May 1st, 2020 is the date. I turn 62 on May 3rd and don't want to work on my birthday!!!
Reading up on things now. Reading "How to retire happy, wild and free" now.
My plan is a 40 foot sailboat and to sail to places that interest me. Wife may come, maybe meet me at places she likes. We will see.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Somebody tell me I can make it two more years. My industry had a huge law change this year which has quadrupled our paperwork and resulted in all kinds of new rules and regulations and restrictions on what we can do. Also a new computer system that no one can get used to. I called the help line yesterday- (this is 8 months after the new system was installed) and I was #24 on hold and the message actually says that if you are on hold after 7 to hang up and call again tomorrow.

Today I had to call a client (whom I am very fond of and whose family has had an account with me for 10 years or more) today and tell them that thanks to new regulations I can no longer handle their account. My job, which I used to love has become a giant PITA. I don't want to do this anymore.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #44

18 months to go- or 538 days. Anyone else getting close? Going to retirement meeting at MegaCorp HQ in October. I actually had to get clearance to go, because someone in HR was under the impression I had to be 50- thankfully (I think) they were wrong. The numbers look good- so good that if HR had said I was ineligible for the retirement pkg at 48 I was just going to resign. I can't decide whether or not I'm disappointed.

I'm in a better place- Law change in industry got scrapped and with it most of of the useless paperwork I've been doing for the last year. I get to do my job again which is nice. DH got offered a job, (he's doing consulting work now) and while he was flattered by the offer, it would have meant a 9-5 job, which he hasn't held in at least 20 years. He's a little too used to taking off when he feels like it. Thanks to our financial situation, he's been fishing a little more and working a little less, and he doesn't want to change that. Plus we travel a lot. He could actually refuse more jobs, but he's still getting used to the idea that he doesn't HAVE to. Anybody else beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #45

joining 2020

I was originally in 2018. For reasons other than financial (mostly) I have postponed until 2020. DD just returned from a year in Australia (internship) and is heading to Dublin Ireland for grad school next week. DS popped the question and now we have a wedding planned for Sept of 2019. House is being torn down in October with a new one being built in it's place. Estimated completion of May 2019. I turn 55 in 2020 and although I shouldn't need access to my 401K it will be nice to have that option. The plan is to work full time in Jan-Mar of 2020 to fund 2020 401K and catchup. In late March/early April I will go to 30 hours per week and see how that plays out. Customer is already on board. Probably go down to 20/hours per week later in 2020. Funds(MM/CD's) are in place to cover 55-59.5 with a 2K/month draw. Additionally pulling 700/mo for contract for deed and 10k/yr sports officiating. Basically just moving from FIRE+ to FAT FIRE. DW wants to work until at least 2026(55 for her). She may change her mind after I am out of the work force. Best of luck to all of the 2020 class.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My official Retirement Date will be approximately January 10, 2020. My last day of work will be approximately Dec 13, 2019.

I will be 63-1/2 and my wife will be nearly 61, although she will likely retire in June of 2019.

Retirement Assets will be close to $2M. Kids have all completed Grad School (two JD's, a MD, and a PhD) and are doing well.

I will have no pension and no decent post-retirement health care despite working for over 40 years for very large companies (the world's largest for many years) due to a decade of continual benefit reductions. DW will receive a $7k annual pension and excellent post-retirement health care requiring a co-pay toward our premium.

We will be fine. Between Annuity benefits, SS benefits, and her small pension, our monthly income will be higher than what we make now working!
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Putting a stake in the ground, 2020 is my planned retirement date from Mega Corp. I will likely do something part time or with a much smaller organization as I still have two little kids at home and a DW (doesn't work), but I hope to leave the stressful grind behind in 2020.
dcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was on the 2019 list but I'm pushing out to 2020 to scrape up a few more bucks to help kids in college.
I am picking April 1 as my last day! : )

That is right after the annual profit sharing handout and just before the nice weather starts here in New England.

I will be 64 by then. Time to divorce MegaCorp.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #49

May 1 2020 is the plan. Will be 62 +3. DW will 67+5. Ready to go now. Just greed and fear holding me back. Every month adds about $50/mo increase in income. Too hard to pass up so far.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #50

I'm definitely going in 2020, if not before. There is an outside chance of a package offer before then, but most likely not. I'll go when I get FICA paid for the year and the 401K maxed. Probably September. That will give me a full 35 year FICA at the cap. I'm a savings piker compared to some of the stars here on the forum, but I'll have a max'ed SS record, a modest company pension and retiree medical. I'll go at age 61, so my nest egg just has to support me totally until 70 when SS and pension will mostly suffice.

The two year count down has begun Good luck to the other 2020 entrants
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I turn 62 in Dec. ‘20. Plan on putting the house on the market and once it sells I’ll put in my notice. Retirement for DH and I means we will be moving to a lower cost of living area and hopefully finding p/t work. Maybe two days a week.

When I do retire I will have been working for 45 years. That’s quite enough.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 AM   #52

Got the invitation to the retirement seminar at home office yesterday. I smiled the whole time I was registering for and booking that one. My countdown timer shows less than 500 days (493 to be exact) and the calendar on my desk says I only have 16 months to go. I think I'm gonna make it.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:53 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Got the invitation to the retirement seminar at home office yesterday. I smiled the whole time I was registering for and booking that one. My countdown timer shows less than 500 days (493 to be exact) and the calendar on my desk says I only have 16 months to go. I think I'm gonna make it.
Nice! Good luck I’m sure you’ll make it. Hoping for 01/01/20 myself which is OMY from our original plan. I think and hope we make it but some days are much harder than others. In the end I’m mentally ready for any path life deals us. So I think! Tons of life and living left and having ER in sight has made working far more palatable.
The Onceler is offline   Reply With Quote
Joining the 2020 Club
Old 10-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Joining the 2020 Club

Set a date of May 2020. We will both turn 57 that month. I have worked commercial construction for 40 years and my am I sore. Thanks to the economy this past two years we get to accelerate our RE. Looking to enjoy some time on the road seeing this great country and meeting wonderful people.
Talkjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello!
Long time lurker and a member of the Class of 2020. My last work day will be May 31st or about 85 weeks. Not that I'm counting! I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering through this torturous countdown. It's been difficult to find ways to take my mind off it.
I will be a few months shy of 62 with around $1.6m in savings. I am undecided about SS. Not sure if I will wait till FRA or take my benefit at 62. No debt although DW and I have researched and settled on an RV to start traveling.
I worked in the retail business for the first 25 years of my career. ALOT of hours for relatively low pay. For the last 18 years I have worked in the auto industry. Great pay and benefit but assembly work takes a toll on your body. I will receive a pension from the company but have not included that in my current nest egg.
I look forward to revisiting this thread from time to time. Thanks!
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Our plans have changed since finding this board. I've taken in some really valuable information here. We plan to ER with my last day being Dec 2, 2020. That gets me the full month of benefits and ACA enrollment at the same time. I'll be 59+3mos , DW will be 58. Shes been a SAHW (no kids) for most of our 33 years together so I think we've done pretty good for ourselves. No real reason to quit other than 30 years at the same old grind.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

my retirement date has changed several times these past few years but I too now will be joining the class of 2020. with an exit date of March 15, 2020.

I'll stop working on Feb 15, burn up FTO on the books, collect a hopeful bonus check on or around March 12 and never look back. Spouse wants to keep working for another 3-5 years so that will make things easier.

at last!
garden gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So if my last day of work is 12/31/20 and my first day of retirement is 1/1/21, am I part of the class of 2020 or 2021? I thought 2021, but now I am not sure.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #59

I semi-retired in 2015 at 57 to work part-time online, moved to Reno (and feel retired). But my part-time on-line gig ends in 2020, so I guess I have at least one foot in the 2020 class. Good luck to you all.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
So if my last day of work is 12/31/20 and my first day of retirement is 1/1/21, am I part of the class of 2020 or 2021? I thought 2021, but now I am not sure.
My last planned work day is 12/31/19 and I'm considering myself part of the class of 2020.

I'd rather be first in the class than last!
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote