Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,439
Deep breaths, deep breaths.
__________________

COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.
ugeauxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rural Alabama
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Deep breaths, deep breaths.
Thanks- Schedule looks icky again tomorrow, but then it will be 298 days...
__________________

__________________
Projected retirement--2020 at age 48
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienlord View Post
So mid-November it will be, if I can hold out that long.
I'm planning on leaving sometime between September of this year and January of next. Every time I walk out the door at lunch time for a quick walk around the block, I breathe in the outside air, see the sky and birds and fountains, and feel the stress release. The thought of working another 9 months seems impossible.
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I'm planning on leaving sometime between September of this year and January of next. Every time I walk out the door at lunch time for a quick walk around the block, I breathe in the outside air, see the sky and birds and fountains, and feel the stress release. The thought of working another 9 months seems impossible.
Do you need to financially have to stay for 9 more months or just want to stay?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Do you need to financially have to stay for 9 more months or just want to stay?
My former company is considering an IPO next month, which will affect the ESOP valuation. Staying another 9 months is a hedge against falling ESOP valuation, which is about 20% of my portfolio. It won't cover all potential losses, but could help.
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,242
Yep, I understand that. Good luck.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #107
Confused about dryer sheets
CoastboundPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I'm having a hideous day, but I just looked at my retirement countdown timer and it says 299 days to go. Sounds better than 300+. I think I can, I think I can....
And I'm close behind..342 days. Looking forward to day 299!
CoastboundPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Strongly considering October 2020.

Took a 6 month sabbatical about 4 years ago. It was completely awesome. Considered just never going back, but I got the offer I couldn't refuse, yada, yada, and here I am at Megacorp, actually having a pretty good time.

Stock vests throughout the year, but a pretty big traunch hits every September, which is why I'm looking at October.

$2.8M, but with expenses in the $90K/year range. Every calculator I use says "yep." I do have a bit of OMY syndrome, but when I took current job (three+ years ago), I said I'd stay for 3-5 years. October 2020 would be 4.5 years. Destiny!

I found my first financial plan developed a long time ago when I had just started at previous Megacorp (savings then: $1,500). My goal was to retire before I was 60. October 2020 I will be 59.5.

Everyone around me says "meh, you aren't going to retire. You'd be bored. You need a job. You'll just take a less stressful job. You won't last 6 months being retired." Me, I think I will do just fine.

Only thing holding me back from committing is the whole healthcare situation. If they pull preexisting conditions or put preexisting condition people into a pool with high deductibles and limits on what is covered or amounts covered, then I'll be forced to work until I'm 65, which would suck.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Posts: 190
Thought I belonged in the class of 2021.

Then I found this forum and joined the class of 2020.

Then, people younger than me started retiring. And others died while still working. And then DW had a serious car accident.

Aha moment; time really is more important than money.

DW is recovering nicely. Replaced her car with a tank.

I have advanced the in the class to the September 2019 spot. Reserved our October cruise to the Mediterranean just last week.

Have not told anyone at work. Company policy is 45 days notice for retirement.

Not a day goes by without me thinking either, "That's the last time I have to do X." or "You poor slobs."


Looking forward to being self unemployed.
__________________
DW and I are 58. FIRE September 2019 (previous goals were 2021 and 2020). Non-cola pension, max SS for DH at FRA. Mega retiree health available. AA 50% stocks and 50% MM & T-Bills.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Thought I belonged in the class of 2021.

Then I found this forum and joined the class of 2020.

Then, people younger than me started retiring. And others died while still working. And then DW had a serious car accident.

Aha moment; time really is more important than money.

DW is recovering nicely. Replaced her car with a tank.

I have advanced the in the class to the September 2019 spot. Reserved our October cruise to the Mediterranean just last week.

Have not told anyone at work. Company policy is 45 days notice for retirement.

Not a day goes by without me thinking either, "That's the last time I have to do X." or "You poor slobs."


Looking forward to being self unemployed.
Amen to the time is more important than money comment. I have to remind myself of that often.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #111
Confused about dryer sheets
CoastboundPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpaintedhuffhines View Post
Amen to the time is more important than money comment. I have to remind myself of that often.
+1
CoastboundPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #112
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 23
2022 is now 2020!!

For years I have been telling myself that August 2022 is the smartest option for my retirement, and it is very true financially, but recently I have been just feeling SOOO TIRED!!!

What I miss when I go in 2020:
- A big jump with the megacorp defined pension plan that would have hit in June 2022. Estimated loss: $18k per year for life.
- Tax hit from having to cash out all options and deferred pay immediately instead of over 10 years post retirement, as I won't hit the required years of service for the delayed pay. Estimated loss: $400k.
- Probably some $300k less in retirement savings due to 2.5 fewer years worked.
- Will no longer afford to continue as a major donor to my favorite charities, whom I have been able to help to the tune of $50k per year.

In other words, with our modest life style in LCOLA area we really did not have any planned need for the extra money anyway, but after being a super saver for decades it truly hurts to forgo amounts like that.

What I gain when I leave earlier:
- Become a full time dad for my kids and houseboy for my wife. To fully enjoy my family. This has been a source of depression for me as 12 hour exhausting working days in a high stress job have made me a consistently absent father and spouse. Even when I'm home physically I am often absent mentally.
- Get into healthier life style and better physical shape. Wanting to be a healthy and fun parent and husband for decades to come.
- Have time for myself to concentrate my own spiritual growth and formation.
- Take time to just enjoy and explore the beautiful and interesting world around us.

So, the planned day is February 1, 2020. 294 days to go. For some tactical reasons I can not resign until first of the year, so if they ask very nicely I would consider staying until May 1, but that's it!
SilentWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #113
Confused about dryer sheets
CoastboundPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post

What I gain when I leave earlier:
- Become a full time dad for my kids and houseboy for my wife. To fully enjoy my family. This has been a source of depression for me as 12 hour exhausting working days in a high stress job have made me a consistently absent father and spouse. Even when I'm home physically I am often absent mentally.
- Get into healthier life style and better physical shape. Wanting to be a healthy and fun parent and husband for decades to come.
- Have time for myself to concentrate my own spiritual growth and formation.
- Take time to just enjoy and explore the beautiful and interesting world around us.
These are largely the reasons I will be leaving too. This was all underscored by the recent, sudden and unexpected passing of my brother-in-law. He and my sister had just retired in the past couple of years and barely got a chance to enjoy their time together. The job he had consumed him and I wish he would have left years before. As my job began to do that to me I decided that enjoying this marvelous world, learning new things and caring for those close to me would be a much better use of time.
Congratulations to you on your decision and on being able to focus on the things that truly matter.
CoastboundPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #114
Dryer sheet aficionado
Lienlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 32
Still looking at Feb 20th next year as my departure date (2/20/2020).
After reading all the great advice on this site though, I've decided to shorten my notice time from originally 1 year, then six months, now 3 months. So that will be November 20th, which is still 7 months away. I know the 3 months after my notice will go fast, but these next 7 feel like they are dragging along!
Wrapping up 4 day weekend tomorrow and taking another one next Thursday to use up some vacation time accrued. They have been a great refresher but kind of a tease of what to come too!
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.
ugeauxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rural Alabama
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
2022 is now 2020!!

For years I have been telling myself that August 2022 is the smartest option for my retirement, and it is very true financially, but recently I have been just feeling SOOO TIRED!!!

What I miss when I go in 2020:
- A big jump with the megacorp defined pension plan that would have hit in June 2022. Estimated loss: $18k per year for life.
- Tax hit from having to cash out all options and deferred pay immediately instead of over 10 years post retirement, as I won't hit the required years of service for the delayed pay. Estimated loss: $400k.
- Probably some $300k less in retirement savings due to 2.5 fewer years worked.
- Will no longer afford to continue as a major donor to my favorite charities, whom I have been able to help to the tune of $50k per year.

In other words, with our modest life style in LCOLA area we really did not have any planned need for the extra money anyway, but after being a super saver for decades it truly hurts to forgo amounts like that.

What I gain when I leave earlier:
- Become a full time dad for my kids and houseboy for my wife. To fully enjoy my family. This has been a source of depression for me as 12 hour exhausting working days in a high stress job have made me a consistently absent father and spouse. Even when I'm home physically I am often absent mentally.
- Get into healthier life style and better physical shape. Wanting to be a healthy and fun parent and husband for decades to come.
- Have time for myself to concentrate my own spiritual growth and formation.
- Take time to just enjoy and explore the beautiful and interesting world around us.

So, the planned day is February 1, 2020. 294 days to go. For some tactical reasons I can not resign until first of the year, so if they ask very nicely I would consider staying until May 1, but that's it!
Much of this is true for me too. By the time I get home from my job, I don't have much left for my family- and they're so much more important. My boys are 12 and 15 now, and won't be around much longer. Teenage years need all of my attention and patience- not just what's left over after work. Kudos to you for trading money for what's really important.
__________________
Projected retirement--2020 at age 48
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I really could use another year or two of accumulation but circumstances are driving us to cut that short. I might not even make it to 2020 at this point though my spouse will. Fingers crossed.
It is looking increasingly like I won't make it to 2020. We signed papers on a home in a retirement community, and will likely be able to move in sometime this fall. That'll surely earn me a pink slip from megacorp - and I'll breathe a sigh of relief. Money will be a little tight, but nothing we can't overcome.
__________________
Class of 2022
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #117
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Boise
Posts: 33
I am in the class of 2020 - looking at June, 2020. Told my boss so they could do some succession planning if they want. I will be 60 and wife will be 58. We have around $2.86Mil in investments (pre and post tax) and another $1mil in non-income producing real estate.
__________________
Regards,

Tom
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.
ugeauxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rural Alabama
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
I am in the class of 2020 - looking at June, 2020. Told my boss so they could do some succession planning if they want. I will be 60 and wife will be 58. We have around $2.86Mil in investments (pre and post tax) and another $1mil in non-income producing real estate.
Welcome!
__________________
Projected retirement--2020 at age 48
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.
ugeauxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rural Alabama
Posts: 550
Just finished last working taxes season.
__________________

__________________
Projected retirement--2020 at age 48
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.