Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Aaargh! Just had a conference call with HR and my coordinator explained that all retirement plans start on the last day of the month. My countdown timer went from 278 days to 303.
Or you could just move it up a month
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
Or you could just move it up a month
I can't. The whole reason I haven't retired before now is because I wasn't old enough. My birthday is on the first so I thought I would retire the next business day, which is the 3. Dang.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My countdown timer went from 278 days to 303.
Aw, bummer. Doesn't sound as bad as my 551 though... 18 months (including that darned extra day in February) from today...
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggon View Post
Aw, bummer. Doesn't sound as bad as my 551 though... 18 months (including that darned extra day in February) from today...
I decided to wait till I'm "old enough" for the retirement package which includes some benefits. I have actually ended up staying 2 years longer than originally planned (I was in class of '18, but held myself back). When I reset my timer for that it went from 300 days to nearly 1000. It was so depressing I had to delete it. One more month is certainly better than one more year.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I decided to wait till I'm "old enough" for the retirement package which includes some benefits. I have actually ended up staying 2 years longer than originally planned
Very similar to my own circumstances that I waxed philosophical on this thread back in February. The golden handcuffs dilemma... The numbers all say "Go, you'll be fine.", but 551 days (used to) seem a small price to pay for the benefits I'll garner on that magical date. The one big caveat is that I swear the forces of the universe are conspiring to make my last 18 months the most miserable of my 30-year career. Literally. Managerial insanity ensues.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Very similar to my own circumstances that I waxed philosophical on this thread back in February. The golden handcuffs dilemma... The numbers all say "Go, you'll be fine.", but 551 days (used to) seem a small price to pay for the benefits I'll garner on that magical date. The one big caveat is that I swear the forces of the universe are conspiring to make my last 18 months the most miserable of my 30-year career. Literally. Managerial insanity ensues.
I have been FI for some time now. Current count to RE is 275 days. The very heavy golden handcuffs would have additional $1M impact but require 1144 days instead. Still staying strong and resisting...
SilentWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I'm planning on leaving sometime between September of this year and January of next. Every time I walk out the door at lunch time for a quick walk around the block, I breathe in the outside air, see the sky and birds and fountains, and feel the stress release. The thought of working another 9 months seems impossible.
I feel the same way... I'm shooting for 2023 but unhappy at job so planning to fire much earlier. I keep thinking of ways I can say "I quit" or "I resign". I know it takes 2 weeks but keep holding myself. Based on calculators, I can fire but something (uncertainty ?) keeps me on the job. Empty nester this Fall and that might be great time to pull the plug, and spend time in my back-yard with birds, earthworks, grass, and fresh air (aaahhhh... dreaming )
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
I keep thinking of ways I can say "I quit" or "I resign".
I wonder quite a lot about how the departure will happen. I doubt it will be with two weeks notice coinciding with putting our home here up for sale once we get a firm closing date for our new home (which is the only scenario that would leave me in the Class of 2020). Every week there is at least one point where I say to myself, "Okay, it might happen in this next meeting or when I read my email tomorrow morning."

The boss of my matrix organization is the worst kind of manager - one who doesn't realize how incredibly bad he is. He doesn't target me (I think he knows better) but he is regularly demeaning, insulting and berating his people, even-and-especially the ones who work under his direct reports (rather than just matrix'ed under him, like me). A few incidents ago, I remember him sitting on the side return at my cubicle going over the background of the incident, and I turned to him directly, made direct eye content, emphasized the point with my finger in his face, saying, "Remember R**, it's the process that is the problem; not the people." The next morning there was another one of his juvenile emails, ranting and raving, and crying about having to babysit his employees.

There's a meeting with this cretin on Tuesday; just him and my half dozen colleagues who are matrix'ed into his organization. I'm imagining a dozen ways it'll turn into a bloodbath despite my manager's prudent and responsible efforts to have us all prepare written, factual explanations aimed at helping him understand why what he's trying to get us to do is wrong. There are so many ways for this meeting to end with me handing him my laptop and walking out.

I sure hope so.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The movers come in two weeks to move us from our temporary rental into the new, permanent retirement palace which is a few hours away.
I have a one bedroom apartment all set for during the week near the business I am selling. Most weekends will now be in our new home. 18 months and we are completely done.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Aha moment; time really is more important than money.
Yes ! You said it. Time flies fast... e specially after age of 50
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #131

AARGH! I was supposed to be off today- had to go in for a few minutes, which (of course) turned into two hours. Then after lunch, my assistant called to tell me that a client was rude to her- its the second time for this client, and I'm going to have to have a talk with her- I've only had to do that a couple of times over the last 20+ years, and I hate it.

On the plus side, my replacement passed her first licensing exam- one down and two to go! And I'm off to the river for the weekend to soak up some sun and have an adult beverage. 287 days- it can't come soon enough...
Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Wouldn't you know it.... rumor going around middle management that corp is considering ceasing the decades-long practice of paying out pro-rated bonuses the following year to retirees of the previous year. I'm not sure if the rumor was started just to try to scare me into staying for a few more months, but regardless - no effect on my date of 11/1/2020. Just a little (okay, a lot) frustrating (and somewhat expensive) if true.

Again, if true, I don't think they understand human psychology very well. They'd be setting themselves up for large exoduses at a single point each year. For those, like me, that may not be willing to wait, I'm not sure I can figure out what my motivation to go "above and beyond" would be if I knew that the reward for doing so is... $0. Further, for those that do stick around, they'd be getting screwed out of 3 months of pro-rated bonus for the NEXT year since bonuses aren't paid until late March.

Yeah, first world problems - but they keep finding new ways of reminding me how badly I can't wait 'til 11/1/2020....
Old 06-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #133

Quote:
Wouldn't you know it.... rumor going around middle management that corp is considering ceasing the decades-long practice of paying out pro-rated bonuses the following year to retirees of the previous year. I'm not sure if the rumor was started just to try to scare me into staying for a few more months, but regardless - no effect on my date of 11/1/2020. Just a little (okay, a lot) frustrating (and somewhat expensive) if true.

Again, if true, I don't think they understand human psychology very well. They'd be setting themselves up for large exoduses at a single point each year. For those, like me, that may not be willing to wait, I'm not sure I can figure out what my motivation to go "above and beyond" would be if I knew that the reward for doing so is... $0. Further, for those that do stick around, they'd be getting screwed out of 3 months of pro-rated bonus for the NEXT year since bonuses aren't paid until late March.

Yeah, first world problems - but they keep finding new ways of reminding me how badly I can't wait 'til 11/1/2020....
Ugh. Hope it's just a rumor.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

What a year it has been. I’ve been single most of my life a few good significant relationships that lasted for a while but never the right one. Was planning on Jan of 2019 being my last day for work for the past 6 years. I reached my FI number as projected 6 years ago. I have been planning on leaving KC to head to CO for years, as I have been out there about once a year for the past 10 years for vacations.

To make a long story short last Thanksgiving, a gal I really liked in college 25 years ago, decided she has liked me all this time and her hang up about me didn’t matter anymore. Shes 3” taller than me. This completely turned my world upside down. I decided I may as well work while I got my house ready to sell and for extra money so I could fly out to CO every couple of weeks to be with her. Got my house ready and on the market in May and was planning on heading out there once it sold.

Under contract on house now and will be homeless at the end of June. Then the golden handcuffs struck. If I stay employed till Jan 2020 it will net me another 250k plus my salary. Her and I decided its best for me to finish the year here. The good news is I will only have to work 77 more days in 2019. I have a lot of PTO and am only working 32 hours a week this year. My January of 2020 will look like this, Jan 1 holiday, Jan 2 will take my 2020 floating holiday, Jan 3 back in the office for my official last day.

DGF, has her own business and would like a competent person to help her. So I said I would work for her part time with the benefit of her business would also pay for my health insurance.
nobody is online now   Reply With Quote
Getting close
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #135
Dryer sheet wannabe

Getting close

oh boy what a year. I am not sure how it could get any worse at my place of work. I think it could, but really really don't want to find out. Looking at my retirement income and thinking I really need more, so maybe stay another year, and then. what the heck am I thinking... 332 days to go.
Won't have the cash I want, but should be enough to live till 80, which I am not sure I will. Don't have longevity genes in my family. Really want to retire to a sailboat and sail off to Thailand or some place where its pretty cheap to live well. Have a 40 foot class A RV though.. land yacht. Have to figure out in the next year to keep it or sell it and get the sailboat. The boat should be a lot less expensive than the rv to live on.
The biggest frustration is getting my wife to commit to some time in the future to retire. She can't, or won't. So looks like a seperate living arrangement for a bit till we can get it sorted out. I just can't sit around and wait, and can't continue to work in this environment. Just not healthy anymore.
I expect 2400 usd a month should suit me just fine, with 1900 coming from SSI. Using the Fire calc, that means I should have plenty left with a 500 per month withdrawal. Once in a while take out a bit more for other unanticipated stuff, like airplane travel or a new sail.
If I stay with the RV, I think more like 2800/month with 900/month withdrawal. That will be a bigger hit.
After 45 years of working, I just want it to be over...
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

BFB
Understand toxic and tuff work conditions
Hope you can go and relax on the sailboat ⛵️
You’v Earned it
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
What a year it has been. I’ve been single most of my life a few good significant relationships that lasted for a while but never the right one. Was planning on Jan of 2019 being my last day for work for the past 6 years. I reached my FI number as projected 6 years ago. I have been planning on leaving KC to head to CO for years, as I have been out there about once a year for the past 10 years for vacations.

To make a long story short last Thanksgiving, a gal I really liked in college 25 years ago, decided she has liked me all this time and her hang up about me didn’t matter anymore. Shes 3” taller than me. This completely turned my world upside down. I decided I may as well work while I got my house ready to sell and for extra money so I could fly out to CO every couple of weeks to be with her. Got my house ready and on the market in May and was planning on heading out there once it sold.

Under contract on house now and will be homeless at the end of June. Then the golden handcuffs struck. If I stay employed till Jan 2020 it will net me another 250k plus my salary. Her and I decided its best for me to finish the year here. The good news is I will only have to work 77 more days in 2019. I have a lot of PTO and am only working 32 hours a week this year. My January of 2020 will look like this, Jan 1 holiday, Jan 2 will take my 2020 floating holiday, Jan 3 back in the office for my official last day.

DGF, has her own business and would like a competent person to help her. So I said I would work for her part time with the benefit of her business would also pay for my health insurance.
Congratulations. Sounds like a great year except for the part where you have to work a little longer. I'd do it for that kind of money too. Working with your gf for benefits sounds like a great solution
Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations. Sounds like a great year except for the part where you have to work a little longer. I'd do it for that kind of money too. Working with your gf for benefits sounds like a great solution

Thanks and hopefully it will. It was a big blow to have my count down come to 0 and then keep working, kind of like you adding a couple years to yours. House inspection today for the one I'm selling, hopefully it will go my way. Anyway 77 more working days at the full time job.....
nobody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #139
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
BFB
Understand toxic and tuff work conditions
Hope you can go and relax on the sailboat ⛵️
You’v Earned it
Yes I can imagine working in Africa can have its issues. Maybe Texas ain't so bad....
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

And the hits just keep on coming. I swear the forces of the universe are conspiring to make my last year of work the most miserable of my 30 years here...

Just found out we've got ANOTHER multi-million-dollar mandatory 2020 project to try to pull off. I'm the manager of a very small department, and my 2020 budget is nearly twice the largest budget I've ever had. No additional help in sight. This is freaking crazy!