Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Panty hose!! in this day and age? Good golly, Mrs. Amethyst, you are one elegant lady!
She sure is. I don't even want to think how much money I spent on panty hose. Since I've been retired, I have plenty of time to bronze the legs, feet and toes with a few rays.

Do panty hose still come in eggs?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

I have tried to get selective about my clothes buying . JJill clothes ,I will wear until they die so great value . Liz Claiborne , I will wear a lot so pretty good value . Lands End ( especially Pj 's their Pj's are so soft they lull me to sleep ) I wear until the disintegrate so great value . Special Occasion dresses , worn once or twice bad value but now I sell them after I've worn them on ebay so okay value . Panty hose , I live in Florida . Panty hose would be torture that I sometimes endure for special occasions bad value .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It was a little odd seeing him show up every day in the 'same' shirt and pants, but he seemed happy enough. I suppose he saved a few seconds in the morning with not having to decide what to wear!
One of the few things I miss about the military, especially coveralls on sea duty.

Most of my t-shirts are bought at Goodwill ($1.99) or the Aloha Stadium swap meet (5 for $20) and hit the rag bag by the time they're 10 years old. They stay there for at least another 10 years before they meet their fate during an oil change. Considering that I rarely wear long pants, let alone shoes or socks, I'm not sure that cost/wearing is a meaningful number.

OTOH I have a Gerry ski jacket that I haven't worn since... um... 1988. Or maybe 1986.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I used to work for someone who had pretty much solved the wardrobe problem for himself. He found pants and a shirt that he liked, and bought something like 20 of each. Then, to extend the lifespan of his selection, he went out and got the top end Miele washer and dryer, as they were both quiet and produced the least wear on the fabric.

It was a little odd seeing him show up every day in the 'same' shirt and pants, but he seemed happy enough. I suppose he saved a few seconds in the morning with not having to decide what to wear!

You worked for Steve Jobs??! I read that he liked a certain kind of black shirt so much that he had something like 300 made for him and hasn't bought any since.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, Fuego. Several others mentioned free work clothes. But but but, what does it cost you to qualify for those free clothes, work? Full-time employment? Overtime? Scary! You wear them on your own time. I see people doing that, some polo sweaters have nice logos but what are you, a walking billboard, just kidding.
A small logo and corporate name embroidered above the chest pocket area. Fairly insignificant. It is a small professional consulting biz, so virtually zero brand awareness outside professional circles. Folks will probably assume it was from a volunteer gig or charity gig or something. They are comfy. And free. And I have one on right now. Figure I might as well "use them up" since I may not be there much longer...
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
.... Figure I might as well "use them up" since I may not be there much longer...
Clothes do tend to outlive the gig. I must have kept a frisbee from a company picnic for 20 years.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Kilts
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Kilts

I wear a kilt around the house and to certain public events. I expect my kilt will be servicable to my children and grandchildren. What's to wear out? All that happens is the the bottom get a little bit more ragged and the seat gets shiny.

I wear a breechclout, too, but I expect that DW will probably confiscate that for a dish-drying rag sometime in the next 10 years.l
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I still own 21 pairs of black stretch slacks (cotton/spandex blend) that are in a range of condition from slightly faded to completely faded. Nice elastic waistband for total comfort during long hours chained to the desk. I bought them dirt cheap online in lots of 2 or 3 on sale under $15 each, accumulated over 20+ years.
I wore them to w*rk when fresh and color was still black. They eventually became too faded for w*rk wear but were still serviceable for casual wear.
Little by little the more faded ones become painter's or gardener's pants.
dh2b hates these pants BTW. He calls them "old lady" pants.
He swears he's going to send me on a long errand or overnight to a friend's house and make them go away.
All other clothes are bought online as overstocks or when price reduced out of season.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Somewhat heavy blended fabric work pants will outlast cheap Target pants by maybe 5-10 times, and name brand "Dockers" class pants by maybe 5 times. The 100% cotton trend in outer clothing is a conspiracy by clothing manufacturers to make stuff wear out faster.

That said, I've got T-shirts from back to the early 90's I've worn fairly regularly. Line dry. Dryer lint is your clothing disintegrating while being roasted and beaten.
rjsciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I think the work pants I have on today are about 8 years old - the oldest in my fleet. They were expensive - about $60. I wear them about once a week, about 50 times a year, so these have a per wear cost of about 15 cents
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Good sox are great Christmas gifts! I love a good cushy pair.
Years ago, I bought my husband a little book called "The Joy of Sox" for his Christmas stocking. Definitely advocated the pursuit of good sox under all circumstances! Often wonder what happened to that book
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #32

For "oldest item" - I have a fall jacket that I bought the first week of sophomore year in 1966. But, I'll admit that I wear it very rarely, and then mostly for nostalgia. My employer went to business casual about 15 years ago. I still wear suits once a week, and haven't bought one since then.

I once had a pair of slippers that I wore daily for at least 15 years.

For "frightenly organized" - when I was wearing suits to w*rk, I had 4-6 in my closet and wore them "in order". They were all blue, gray, or blue-gray. I had solid white and blue shirts, and ties that I could wear with any suit/shirt without drawing laughs. So I could pretty much get dressed with my eyes closed.

Clothes are so cheap that they just aren't a big part of my budget. I spend about $240 per year now. I'm usually thrifty, but I'm subject to the occaisional expensive experiment.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
All that happens is the the bottom get a little bit more ragged and the seat gets shiny.
Hmm. A metaphor for life, I think. My bottom gets a little raggeder every year that I w*rk...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
She sure is. I don't even want to think how much money I spent on panty hose. Since I've been retired, I have plenty of time to bronze the legs, feet and toes with a few rays.
But with the boots in your new avatar, why bother?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsciurus View Post
Somewhat heavy blended fabric work pants will outlast cheap Target pants by maybe 5-10 times, and name brand "Dockers" class pants by maybe 5 times. The 100% cotton trend in outer clothing is a conspiracy by clothing manufacturers to make stuff wear out faster.

That said, I've got T-shirts from back to the early 90's I've worn fairly regularly. Line dry. Dryer lint is your clothing disintegrating while being roasted and beaten.
Excellent points! I didn't realize the 100% cotton outerwear trend was a Sinister Plot, but I do prefer durable synthetics and synthetic blends for heavy-use clothing. As for line drying - We use the solar dryer whenever it's available in our area. Love that sun-dried smell.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Do panty hose still come in eggs?
Um...what is pantyhose?
Just kidding, I've actually worn the darn things.
Once or twice...very dim memories of power suit days are swirling in my head.
Thigh highs and...um...you know...starts with a "g"...always w*rked better for this kid.

I actually still have one of those L'eggs containers. It houses a treasured christmas ornament that belonged to my Mom.
The ornament dates back to when she was a child (1930s).
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #37

Basically I'm a "blue jeans and T shirt" guy, much to the chagrin of DW sometimes. I still have a nice lined blue jean jacket that I bought for $12 in 1976, although it is a little bit faded by now. I have a dozen suits left over from work and wear one about once a year for weddings and such.

I was just thinking that I'll have to wait until I see jeans on sale as the ones I have are getting holes in them. Then I'll buy about six pair and wear those until they have holes in them.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Basically I'm a "blue jeans and T shirt" guy, much to the chagrin of DW sometimes. I still have a nice lined blue jean jacket that I bought for $12 in 1976, although it is a little bit faded by now. I have a dozen suits left over from work and wear one about once a year for weddings and such.

I was just thinking that I'll have to wait until I see jeans on sale as the ones I have are getting holes in them. Then I'll buy about six pair and wear those until they have holes in them.
My husband doesn't really feel comfortable in his jeans until they're holey. I patched the knees of his favorite pair (decorated the patches with embroidery stitches, the whole 9 yards), and he wore NEW holes right next to the patches. So I patched the new holes and...you guessed it...he wore holes right next to the patches. Then he said he wanted to leave the latest holes intact...is "intact" the right word to use for holes?...because that way they are more comfortable.

So I offered to rip holes in some of his newer jeans but apparently, that isn't the same
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But with the boots in your new avatar, why bother?
Well, at some point I have to take them off...don't want a "farmer's tan" showin' don't ya know...
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #40

I used to say that you only get what you pay for. This is especially true for shoes. Back in my w**k days it was always Floreshime Imperials, Allen Edmunds or Johnston Murphys. I good pair of wingtips would last ten years. Kept them polished and treed all the time. Can't beat Lands End for good clothes (shirts). Suits were the dress of the day back in my time (70's-80's) but never spent a ton on them. Bought a lot at Pennys. I think they still have a good brand of clothes. I'm not sure I have a suit anymore. My standard dress mode for semi dress is light tan or grey slacks (sometimes plaid), dark blue blazer and tasseled loafers, preferably Sebago. Ties are only for funerals. Since I'm not into fancy dressing anymore, I frequent a consignment shop for men only. They take only the best brands, everything must be dry cleaned or laundered and pressed. I buy a lot of stuff there even if I don't need it. Great ties but who needs them. Lot of their stuff is new. Raincoats for up north and wool suits for funerals. Thats the place to shop. I never go to the mall to find mens clothes. I'm done spending money on clothes.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote